1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evolution/Creation Poll -- Please Vote!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Phillip, Dec 27, 2004.

?
  1. 6 day Creation -- Genesis is literal

77.1%
  2. Gap or Old Earth, but no death until sin occurred

8.3%
  3. Old Earth with death before sin occurred

11.5%
  4. Theistic Evolution -- animals evolved until God decided to put a soul in one.

3.1%
  5. Evolution -- absolutely no need for any supernatural causes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Let us find out what the majority of the board believes about the Bible.

2. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

God Created the earth and every living thing that lives on it in 6 literal days.

that is what my Bible says so that is whay I believe
    the Bible shows us no gaps.

3. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

I'm a YEC, 6-literal days, no death before sin, etc.

I'm curious who voted for atheistic evolution? :rolleyes:

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does it matter how God created anything, isn't enough that God is the creator?

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It matters because it goes to how one sees God's word in Genesis.

If God created by "evolution" and death came before sin, we have a contradiction to the Bible.

By now, I even know who all is going to post to argue this, if they decide to. :rolleyes:

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What?

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What? </font>[/QUOTE]I'm referring to several people on the BB who believe Genesis is a myth or fable.

Check out the thread on whether the Bible is inerrant or not. It's right here in this forum. The Genesis issue came up there around page 14 or 15.

8. Amity

Amity Guest

YOUNG EARTH, BABY!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Romans 10:17
    So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

[​IMG]

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I wonder who the two are that voted:
    "Evolution -- absolutely no need for any supernatural causes." and claim to be Baptist? :D

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

EXACTLY. . . Funny that the Bible is very clear on a 6 day creation and some choose to ignore that while accepting an even stranger gospel of God coming to Earth as a man. . . :confused:

Before I was a Christian, I had more problems with Jesus being God, than I did with God snapping his fingers and making a universe. [​IMG]

11. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

You might be surprised to learn that it wasn't me. My vote was not that far down the list.

Surprise!

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

My point exactly, ChurchBoy. I thought only Baptists were allowed on the "BAPTIST DEBATE FORUMS (BAPTIST ONLY)". [​IMG]

Personally, I don't know too many athiest Baptists. I know some 'unsaved' Baptists, but I think most of them believe in God.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

OTOH, if animals did not eat other animals until after the fall, then we still have an issue, because it means that enimals evolved after the fall to eat flesh (most carnivourous animals alive today are incapable of eating animal flesh).

Then again, to be completely objective, there's generally not an arguement to evolution taking place after the fall, just before the fall. This does not compromise a YEC literalist point of view.

14. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

My point exactly, ChurchBoy. I thought only Baptists were allowed on the "BAPTIST DEBATE FORUMS (BAPTIST ONLY)". [​IMG]

Personally, I don't know too many athiest Baptists. I know some 'unsaved' Baptists, but I think most of them believe in God.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Oops! Sorry, I'm a non-Baptist. I thought non-Baptists are allowed to post but not allowed to start threads in Baptist only threads. If I am in error I will refrain form posting in this forum.

15. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Carnivorous animals are incapable of eating animal flesh? Then how can they be carnivorous?

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oops, I meant to say that most carnivourous animals alive today are incapable of eating plant material.

17. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"Personally, I don't know too many athiest Baptists. I know some 'unsaved' Baptists, but I think most of them believe in God."

and

"I'm curious who voted for atheistic evolution?"

I doubt that whoever the two are who went with completely natural evolution are atheists and neither is it an "atheistic" theory. I think that chemistry proceeds entirely without supernatural intervention but that does not make it "atheistic" chemistry. Evolution is perfectly capable of explaining the current diversity of life on earth also without supernatural intervention. That does not necessarily make it "atheistic." I expect that you may strongly disagree with whether it is the best explanation.

18. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

I offer a small complaint upon the choices given. One can believe in evolution and still think of it as “supernatural” just as one can not believe in evolution and think the creation of man as “natural”. If we believe in the “miracle” of Jesus walking on water as “literally” happening but do not believe that God violated any natural laws of the universe in doing so then the implication that evolution is contrary to God’s work by basis of its “naturalness” is somewhat moot.

A meteor falling from the sky is not supernatural. But a meteor falling from the sky the minute Elijah prays for fire from the sky on Mt. Carmel --- is that supernatural? Now I am not saying that God used a meteor to bring down fire from the sky --- I do not know how God did it --- but perhaps something can be “natural” but the timing of the event is “supernatural”.

I think that there is so much that we do not know about how the universe works that God can perform what we perceive to be supernatural but is actually very natural to the laws of the universe. It is not God breaking the laws of creation but our limited understanding of those laws.

I think we need a good definition of “supernatural”.

I did vote for “evolution”, though I am more of a non-concordanist. I do not think that the Bible speaks about the process of how God created man so I do not think that the issue of evolution is contrary to Scripture. It is not contrary because the Bible is silent on the issue. The Bible does not agree with the process of the creation of man because it is not teaching that issue.

Also, I think that the immediate equation of evolution to atheism is unfair. One can believe in evolution and still believe in God.

Is that physical death or spiritual death?

If we say that no animal life died before Adam, then what about plant life? Did no plants die before Adam? What about insects? Did Adam not step on any bugs in Eden? What about microscopic organisms, did they die? Or perhaps only "soulish" (nephesh) beings physically died?

I do not think that a contradiction exists in the Scripture if physical death occurred before Adam. I think man was created as a mortal being. Rather, if our interpretation of Scripture appears to contradict another of our interpretations of Scripture then perhaps it is our interpretations that are contrary and not the scriptures.

19. Pete

Pete New Member

I'm with majority on this one [​IMG]

43 votes: 6 day Creation -- Genesis is literal 67% (29) [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Well, Baptists have never been content to say that one should settle matters solely by what does the majority say! After all, we have a history of being persecuted in countries where we were a minority!

Still, I know what you mean. One of these days the theistic evolutionist baptists will be the majority (should our Lord tarry) and we'll certainly do our share of gloating when that happens, so enjoy your turn for gloating now!