1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evolutionary Creationism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Deacon, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I agree with you brother. Lets say the first 11 chapters of Genesis aren't true, how much of what goes on later is true? Why would a Savior be needed for us, if it isn't true? Why is it quoted as true in NT, if it isn't?

I agree with also. Many don't agree with evolution who aren't in our camp but we keep spending millions of dollars to teach evolution.

2. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

I haven't read any of the post besides the original so if I repeat something I am sorry.

My question to those who hold a theistic evolutionary position is this.....How do you interpret the miracles of Christ?

From the wedding at Cana to the resurrection of Lazarus we see Jesus opening His mouth and causing things to happen in a moment. By doing so He is asserting His Deity. If creation didn't happen at the literal spoken word of God and it happen immediately after that word...how then do these miracles make sense?

3. Hawkins

Hawkins New Member

Because other than ToE, humans don't have another theory to explain where living creatures are coming from. As a reult, no matter how lame the theory itself is, it's still a political correct. And this will continue as long as only secular explanations can be accepted as 'scientific'.

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I think your political correct statement is correct.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm embroiled in a minor controversy and find myself having to study this matter once again.

It has been quite a while since I've seriously studied this topic.

It's obvious to myself that I've missed a whole lot!

Here is a very unusual site that offers myriads of book length articles concerning Evolutionary Creationism within the Evangelical community.

Many of the questions that have been asked here are answered.

An Evangelical Dialogue on Evolution
    Sharing an Evangelical perspective on evolution and its implications for the Christian Faith.

Rob

6. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

No. I believe what he is talking about, and I don't speak for him of course, is the garbage YOU are talking about how the One and True God left His Will to arbitrary genetic inconsistenties. If you believe you are a genetic 'monkey' who can speak, then give me a .....ohhhoough. If you believe God made man; then what is your problem? Cod-brain.

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

[snipped personal attack] I believe God created everything exactly as he said he did. I believe he did it in a literal 6 days. What do you believe? Since you say you agree with Jim, then I guess you believe in this "theistic evolution" garbage.

#27 matt wade, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2010
  8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks Deacon for posting this article.

A few questions that appeared genuine were not addressed so I'll try to address them.

I assume you are referring to Romans 5. Below is verse 12 as well as the related verse 18.

My understanding of this passage is that the death and the life discussed are spiritual. Adam's sin brought spiritual death to all men just as Christ's act of righteousness brought spiritual life for all men. Physical life existed before Christ's act of righteousness just as physical death may have existed before Adam's sin.

Nothing. God could have done it that way. God could also have done it another way.

I believe that Christ's miracles were genuine as recorded. Some of them may have some scientific explanations to them. That doesn't make them any less miraculous. Just because one passage of scripture is more figurative (like passages about God's hand) doesn't make them all figurative.

#28 Gold Dragon, Apr 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2010
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    another thread on the subject I found

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If you really want to see those who "spiritualize" scripture, check out the reformers and their views on the book of Revelation.

11. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

What do these theories say about the age of the Earth, Moon, and Universe?

...Bob

12. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

If 2 Timothy 3:16 is true (which I believe it is!). Then God made the earth in 6 days and rested on the seventh. I really do not know why people try to explain God's word differently than He already has.

Just because men can not fathom the infinite depth of God's omnipotence, they make up things they can believe and call theory fact.

The fact is: God did not even need 6 tenths of a second to do what He has done, if that is the way He wills it.

I do not need to debate scriptural truth against an obvious lie. When the truth is easily read in the first chapter of the His Word.

#32 John Toppass, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  13. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Here is the conclusion from Lamoureux's paper.

To conclude, evolutionary creation offers a healthy and balanced complementary relationship between modern science and Christian faith. This position notes that the church’s struggle in the early seventeenth centurywith Galileo’s astronomy offers a valuable insight into understanding the evolutionary sciences and the biblical accounts of origins. This historic episode led many believers to realize that the Bible is not a book of science, but a book of salvation. Christians who accept evolution as God’s method of creation are especially inspired by the famed aphorism that Galileo popularized: “The intention of the Holy Spirit is to teach us how one goes to heaven and not how heaven goes.” Rewritten for the church today, evolutionary creationists encourage their brothers and sisters in Christ to understand:

The intention of the Bible is to teach us that God is the Creator, and not how the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit created.​

14. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

It has always amazed me how some Christians base their salvation--and the salvation of all Christians--upon a few chapters in Genesis.

Personally, I have been in most corners of this issue. And I do not think that it matters all that much.

Today, I look around my study and I see Bibles and biblical study books. I also see books on English romantic poetry, Greek classical literature, seafaring novels, bird watching, geology, biology, astronomy, nature field guides, and local history. I also have a microscope, two telescopes, geology hammer, field bags, insect boxes, and several binoculars in my study. I consider all of these to be compatible.

My salvation does not depend upon what I see in a telescope, microscope, or a few chapters in the book of Genesis. Nor does my salvation depend upon Calvinist, dispensational, or fundamental theologies. My salvation is based on John 3:16 and other passages.

I have heard and read all of the major arguments from all corners of this issue. This is what I believe.

...Bob