1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evolvement?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by amixedupmom, Sep 26, 2003.

1. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Does God ever change?
    I'm not talking Christ or the Spirit.. I'm talking the Father.

Does God evolve? Why or why not? Please provide scriptures if you can to prove your thoughts.

(sidenote: The reason i'm asking so many questions is these are the questions i'm beginning to ask myself and i'm not having luck finding a definative answer on any of this, so i'm turning to my fellow believers to help my in my quest for spiritual peace.)

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Mali.3: 6“For I am the LORD, I do not change"

3. The Harvest

The Harvest New Member

lea,

Not trying to sound like a jerk here but what you need to do to get your questions answered is get yourself a King James Bible and start reading and studying it. All you're going to get on this board is confused. Let the Holy Spirit teach you.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lea, you’re asking some good questions and basic questions about the nature of God. These questions are the beginnings of studying theology (the study of God).

The Bible tells us that before anything else was, there was God. God alone is responsible for all that exists (Genesis 1:1, Colossians 1:16-17).

He existed before creation. (Genesis 1:1; Exodus 3:13,14; Psalm 90:2; 102:25-27; Colossians 1:16-17; John 1:2,3,10; 5:26; 8:58; 17:5,24; Romans 11:33-36)

He alone made creation He is Omnipotent, (all powerful). Exodus 20:11; Job 38-41; Psalm 50:10-12; Proverbs 3:19,20 Isaiah 42:5; 43:10-13; 44:24; 45:5-19 (esp. 12,18; 48:12,13) (Jesus =God, Hebrews 1:2)

He holds all things (Colossians 1:16,17; 1 Corinthians 8:6; Hebrews 1:3; Jeremiah 33:2; Acts 17:24-28.

God is not part of nature yet He is omnipresent (fully present everywhere). 1 Kings 8:27; Psalm 139:7-18; Jeremiah 23:23,24

He knows all things. (Psalm 139; Isaiah 40:12-31; Hebrews 4:13)

God had no need or compulsion to create in the sense that He had to create. He is complete in Himself. God is in no way dependent upon His creation.. Acts 17:24-25.

For God to change would mean he had to learn, .......and He knows everything.
    For God to evolve would mean that He could improve, ........and He is perfect.

As DonnA noted, “For I am the LORD, I do not change" Malachi 3: 6

Rob

[ September 26, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Deacon ]

5. Tim

Tim New Member

The Harvest,

Bad answer.

Deacon,

Good answer.

6. Singleman

Singleman New Member

You may not be trying, but you succeeded anyway.

I do agree that the Holy Spirit is the best teacher.

7. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

Lea,

During the later part of the early church through the middle ages, most theologians so believed in an unchanging God that they said He was impassible (had no emotions). They presupposed that feelings meant weakness. Today, that view is not held by most, because a God that lacks feelings, lacks much (not to mention the fact that the Bible speaks of God's feelings in various places). I think the answer to the question of change is that God always remains true to His nature, but human perception of that is always inadequate and in continual need of revision (even the Bible failed to spell out Trinitarian theology).

BTW, your question asks specifically about the "Father." I would say that we know about the Father through the Son and the Spirit. By the very nature of revelation, we know about God through dynamic relationship (just as God knows God's self). The basic nature to God is not immutability but relationality.

Good questions! There is no way that a complete answer can be provided here. You should take a look at some systematic theology on the subject. I would suggest Stanley Grenz' Theology for the Community Of God as a good guide to a baptist theology. Some say he is too liberal, others that he doesn't go far enough. I usually find myself between them, so he makes a decent representative for me. At any rate he provides multiple sides to the issues, which most find helpful.

Grace and Peace, Danny [​IMG]

8. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Thanks to everyone including harvest. Afterall without stife we would never want to suceed [​IMG]