1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

(ex) Cardinal Ratzinger is the new pope

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by FLMike, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

On the plus side, Ratpoison did manage to reach agreement with the Lutherans on justification by faith 6 years ago. Shame that couldn't have been sorted in 1520 but never mind. But apart from that, the received wisdom is that he's bad news for ecumenism

Yours in Christ

Matt

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi mioque. Can you give us a little more explanation to why you felt he was "creepy". Was it his mannerisms? The way he looked or talked to folks? Thanks.

3. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Here's the prophecy by Malachy. I put the part in bold about St. Benedict. The link is at the bottom. Some say that this pope will be the last one, then Jesus returns. Since there has never been a Peter since the first one, it is assumed that perhaps Peter of Rome refers to Jesus. Guess it depends on ones theology.

We'll just have to wait and see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pope ?
    Latin motto = GLORIA OLIVAE
    Interpreted to mean - The glory of the olive
    Name - ?
    Olive branch has always been associated with peace and this description might have been most fittingly applied to Pope Pius XII as a reference to his coat of arms. There is little doubt that this legend can be more easily explained in the future than the one before. Some medieval interpreters have gone out of their way to stress that Malachy in his prophecies does not specifically mention that no Popes shall reign between Gloria Olive and the last Petrus Romanus; nor on the other hand does he mention that there will be others.
    < Note: As stated earlier the original prophecies of Malachy did not contain the Petrus Romanus motto - it was added after the 1820 publication of the prophecies. >
    The Order of St Benedict has claimed by tradition that this pope will come from within the Order. St Benedict himself has prophesied that before the end of the world comes about, his Order will triumphantly lead the Catholic Church in its fight against evil. The Order of St Benedict is also known as the OLIVETANS, which may well account for another interpretation of the prophecy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.jpdawson.com/lastpope.html

Peace,

Tam

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Personally, I look at the pope more as a polititian than a spiritual leader. If he forces American Catholics to quit the Democratic party and switch to the Republican party then I'm all for him. Spiritually, he is a devil.

NO COMMUNION FOR JOHN KERRY

5. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I don't consider a man who calls upon a dead woman in his first address as "pope" to protect and guide him to be a fellow Christian.

And they'll know we are Christians by our judgmental character.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No judgement required here Charles, the man invokes the help of a dead woman in his prayers. He doesn't trust the same Jesus I trust. No judgement, that is a fact.

I am amazed at the Christians who have jumped on the pro-papacy bandwagon over the last few weeks.

"We don't care that the Catholic Church claims that Jesus only offers salvation through herself. We don't care that these men claim the title 'Vicar of Christ.' We don't care that one billion people are led astray by her heresies. Let us not be critical of her errors and accept the leadership as our brothers in Christ."

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

How is it judgmental or unloving to tell the truth, especially about things so important as theology? There is no need to be hateful in presentation, but it would be most unloving to allow people to continue to follow an unbiblical religion and its false teaching without at least telling them the truth. It is truly a wierd definition of love that lets people walk to destruction without warning.

8. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

We will be as charitable as William Donohue of the Catholic League.

9. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, Wow; of all the doctrinal and practice issues between us and the RCC; this imust be the most important. Does this mean that if the RCC under him adopts that doctrine on music, then all the fundies (BJU circle, KJVO's, etc) will now accept the Church? Will there be a new Chick tract announcing that the RCC has finally come into the truth? Might they be willing even to join?
    I would much rather see a pope tell his followers to put their trust in Jesus alone, and not in dead saints or dead works.

One of those third world candidates, from what I have heard, was more Jesus centered. But they are leary that the third world (Africa, Latin America) church is too progressive and cultural, and not traditional "Roman" enough; even though they represent the majority of world Catholics now. Perhaps many are afraid of them bringing that "jungle beat" in there. So let's stick with traditionalism, (which includes an emphasis on mediators between us and Jesus, as well as penance and other works) and perhaps this type of pope will be the one that will finally pave the way for the antichrist!

10. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Proverbs-27-5 Open rebuke is better than secret love.
    6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
    7 The full soul loatheth an honeycomb; but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.

It is better to tell those who are hungry where the real food is.

Selah,

Tam

11. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Some people in this thread don’t know the difference between their uninformed opinions and genuine facts. No man who does not trust in Christ as his Savior is a true Catholic, and I suspect that the Cardinals who elected Cardinal Ratzinger as Pope know more about his faith and beliefs than you do.

As for doctrinal error, the Bible says nothing at all against praying to the Virgin Mary. You, however, believe and teach the false doctrine of eternal security that is expressly taught against throughout the Bible, a doctrine that was unknown to the Church until the 16th century, a doctrine that is strongly taught against today by the very large majority of Christian churches, and a doctrine that has sent countless multitudes to hell for eternity. Roman Catholics certainly teach doctrines with which I strongly disagree, but the Roman Catholic Church does not teach any doctrine so wrong and so damaging to the souls of men as the doctrine of eternal security.

Praying to the Virgin Mary causes no one any harm, but telling wayward Christians that there is no eternal danger to their souls in spite of their waywardness is no less an evil than buying them a one-way ticket to hell.

All too many people believe that the word “Baptist” is synonymous with the word “bigot” and it is no wonder why that is.

Here are some of the verses in the Bible that teach the truth that you oppose. Additional verses that teach the truth that you oppose can be found in Nave’s Topical Bible under sub-headings not included here for the sake of brevity.

Apostasy

Described
    Deu_13:13; Heb_3:12

Caused by persecution
    Mat_24:9-10; Luk_8:13

Caused by worldliness
    2Ti_4:10

Guilt and punishment of
    Zep_1:4-6; Heb_10:25-31; Heb_10:39; 2Pe_2:17; 2Pe_2:20-22

Cautions against
    Heb_3:12; 2Pe_3:17

Shall abound in the latter days
    Mat_24:12; 2Th_2:3; 1Ti_4:1-3

Unclassified scriptures relating to
    General references
    Deu_32:15; 1Ch_28:9; Isa_1:28; Isa_65:11-16; Jer_17:5-6; Eze_3:20; Eze_18:24; Eze_18:26; Eze_33:12-13; Eze_33:18; Mat_13:20-21; Mar_4:5-17; Luk_8:13; Mat_24:10; Mat_24:12; Luk_11:24-26; Joh_15:6; Act_7:39-43; 1Co_9:27; 2Th_2:3; 2Th_2:11-12; 1Ti_4:1-2; 2Ti_3:1-9; 2Ti_4:3-4; Heb_6:4-8; Heb_10:26-29; 2Pe_2:1; 2Pe_2:15; 2Pe_2:17; 2Pe_2:20-22; 2Pe_3:17; Jud_1:4-6

Instances of:
    Israelites
    Ex 32; Num 14
    Saul
    1Sa_15:26-29; 1Sa_18:12; 1Sa_28:15; 1Sa_28:18
    Amaziah
    2Ch_25:14; 2Ch_25:27
    Disciples
    Joh_6:66
    Judas
    Mat_26:14-16; Mat_27:3-5; Mar_14:10-11; Luk_22:3-6; Luk_22:47-48; Act_1:16-18
    Hymenaeus and Alexander
    1Ti_1:19-20
    Phygellus and Hermogenes
    2Ti_1:15

(From Nave’s Topical Bible)

[​IMG]

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I though this was a thread on the new pope, not Craig's feelings on etenal security, sorry.

The church you so whole-heartedly support indeed teaches faith in Christ, but only under the church's terms and by the church's defintion.

Too bad those cardinals who know so much about faith can't exercise it in the finished work of Christ alone isn't it?

13. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wonder "who" had the "change of heart" on the doctrine of salvation "Martin Luther" or the Pope?

No wait! Let me guess!

In Christ,

Bob

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is "communion with the dead" that the Bible opposes.

Mary is officially "The DEAD in Christ" from 1Thess 4.

So "yes" the Bible does speak to the idea of trying to "communicate with Mary".

As for Mary being sinless "like Christ" and therefore "raised Like Christ" and ascended into heaven "like Christ".

The Bible does not give us any reason to believe those myths.

None of those ideas are expressed by either first or second century authors.

So "making stuff up" so that someone can now start "praying to Mary" ... well that just does not sound very Christian.

In Christ,

Bob

15. Craigbythesea

I do NOT whole-heartedly support the Roman Catholic Church, and you know that. My point was simply that people who live in glass houses (and very brittle ones at that) should not throw stones at people who live in houses built of stone that have weathered 2,000 years of everything that anyone could throw at them.

[​IMG]

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And for several hundred years they simple killed anyone who had the courage to oppose them. That's one way to keep the opposition at bay.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rev 12 says it was 1260 years of persecution....

Yep that would be "the dark ages" for sure.

18. Craigbythesea

Matt. 17:1. Six days later Jesus *took with Him Peter and James and John his brother, and *led them up on a high mountain by themselves.
    2. And He was transfigured before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light.
    3. And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him.
    4. Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah."
    5. While he was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!"
    6. When the disciples heard this, they fell face down to the ground and were terrified.
    7. And Jesus came to them and touched them and said, "Get up, and do not be afraid."
    8. And lifting up their eyes, they saw no one except Jesus Himself alone.

According to the Bible, Jesus communed with Moses and Elijah. Moses had died some years earlier.

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

19. Craigbythesea

Is this the newly elected Bishop of Rome who is twisting and distorting the word of God? Shame on him!

[​IMG]

20. natters

natters New Member

I don't know exactly how I feel about communion with the saints, but this verse came to mind after reading some of the posts above:

"He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living"