1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ex-Muslim Tells Baptist Pastors That Allah Isn't God

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Cindy, Jun 17, 2003.

1. greek geek

greek geek New Member

sigh...here we go again.

sorry - meant to say alter. my bad.

but once again i must state that Paul is not stating that they were faithfully seeking the unknown God or even truly seeking.

The greek word used for worship in Acts 17:23 is 'eusebeo.' Which is only used twice in the new testament. Once here and again in 1 Timothy 5:4. This word has the meaning of acting piously. 1 Timothy tells a widow to 'practice piety' to her family. He is not telling widows to worship their families as they would worship God.

The other greek word used for worshipping the Almighty God is 'proskuneo' which means to prostrate yourself.

That is a big difference.

Okay again to the greek. you are halfway right. but not completly. The greek capitalizes it as "Unknown God" That phrase is a quote in the Greek. Which was the title on the alter. Written the same way as a book title. The capital used on God can not be used to claim that it was to the One True God. There is also the fact that there is no definate article used. Which could mean that it was to 'An Unknown God.'

so once again you are saying that Moses, Noah, etc. were not worshipping God becuase they did not have the messiah.

ok - i agree with what you said. jews today believe that the NT is basically a lie. But that does not justify what you say about jews worshipping a false god. God is still God. jews only see the God from the OT perspective.

ummm - i have no idea what you are getting at. i think you are taking what i said in a different way than i meant it. but i encourage you start another topic so i can figure out what you meant by that.

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Kiffin, regarding Messianic Judaism and Christianity. Abnsolutley they are one and the same. The problem that we have is that all Christian denominations are like branches of the body. Most of us agree, yet only a few of us are able to embrace the Messianic's.

That is for several reasons and they probably differ from group to group.

Messianics mostly meet on Saturday and study the Torah, all of which is fine. We as the church can improve things by embracing them as truly part of the body of Christ. SheEagle posted an article some months ago about a Southern Baptist Messianic Group. This is a step in the right direction on both sides.