Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Oct 29, 2010.
Calling all exegetes! Let's exegete this passage:
2 Peter 1:1–15 (NAS)
1Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,
· To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:
2Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord;
3seeing that His divine power
o has granted to us everything
§ pertaining to life
§ and godliness,
o through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.
4For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises,
· so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature,
· having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
5 [Now for this very reason] also, applying all diligence, in your faith
· supply moral excellence,
· and in your moral excellence, knowledge,
· 6and in your knowledge, self-control,
· and in your self-control, perseverance,
· and in your perseverance, godliness,
· 7and in your godliness, brotherly kindness,
· and in your brotherly kindness, love.
8[For] if these qualities are yours
and are increasing,
they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9[For] he who lacks these qualities
is blind or short-sighted,
having forgotten his purification from his former sins.
10[Therefore], brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you;
· [for] as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;
· 11[for] in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.
12[Therefore], I will always be ready to remind you of these things,
even though you already know them,
and have been established in the truth which is present with you.
13I consider it right, as long [as I am in this earthly dwelling],
to stir you up by way of reminder,
14knowing that the laying aside of my earthly dwelling is imminent,
as also our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me.
15And I will also be diligent that at any time after my departure
you will be able to call these things to mind.
Uggh formatting doesn't work consistently in this forum :BangHead:
I want to thank your PM and for asking me to do an exegete on this passage and I did consider doing it, but in all honesty this would take as many pages as it has verses and most likely more. However to offer you a short explanation the writer is calling for those who have been born again to now live up to their calling in all holiness.