1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Exegetical Analysis Tools

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by TomVols, Jan 22, 2002.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Anyone care to comment on how useful you find the following resources?

Greek
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Analytical Lexicon to the Greek NT by Mounce<LI>New Analytical Greek Lexicon by Perschbacher<LI>Linguistic Key to the Greek NT by Reinecker and Rodgers (Or the subsequent reprint srtictly by Rodgers[/list]

Hebrew
    Analytical Key to the Old Testament by John Joseph Owens

Feel free to comment on any other exegetical analysis tools that you find helpful. I think we talked about lexicons on another thread, but if one jumps off the page at you or there was one not covered that you particularly love, go ahead and let's discuss that too.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I find Mounce helpful to look up a form of the word that is unfamiliar. When the stem changes, it can be difficult to identify the root unless you spend more time in it that I have. I don't use it as often now that I have BibleWorks which gives that info very quickly but I still use it from time to time. IMO, it would be more helpful if it gave an English gloss at each entry instead of having to look back at the main one.

I have used Reineke and Rodgers only in Portuguese (and only very liitle at that).

Owens is decent though it needs a complete revision. It does not recognize the preterite usage and some of its forms are misidentified. It is helpful in giving a page number in BDB. Overall, it is beneficial though outdated.

Another Hebrew source that is good is Beale and Banks. It parses all the verbals in a verse including the suffix, gives the gloss and a page number in BDB. However, it does not include vowel pointing or non-verbals so it is not as easy to use or as complete as Owens. One can use Owen's to translate without any other source.

Kohler Baumgartner has now been released in a five volume set by Brill I believe. The title is "The Hebrew Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament." They are one of the tops in terms of Lexicography for the Hebrew but they are expensive volumes. I think they are in the neighborhood of 100 a piece and it is not yet complete if I remember correctly (which I may not).

I heard there is a new Greek resource, similar to Colin Brown (NIDNTT) that will actually be organized by the Greek word instead of the English. It will be a great improvement over the current NIDNTT. I can't stand to use it now because you have to use the index every time you want to look up a Greek word.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I like Brown's work and VanGemeren's OT counterpart. Hadn't heard of the new work.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I love VanGemeren in the OT. It is the one I use most often though I have TDNT, TWOT, and TLOT. I like the way it addresses the various issues (most of the time).

I can't remember what the new NT one will be called or anything about it. I heard about it but that is it.

There is also a new edition of Even Shoshan available (if you don't have a computer program). It has the Hebrew text but it has English references which is a big help. The old Even Shoshan was extremely difficult to use because it used Hebrew references right down to the numbers.