1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Exercise through working-out or sport?

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by humblethinker, Sep 24, 2011.

1. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

My wife and I are contemating going back to the gym to exercise to help us lose some weight and be more healthy. However, for me, this is not so motivating. I started wondering that maybe this is why some adults play organized sports. So, I would like to see if this is the case for anyone here and whether it helps you achieve your health goals. I can see other benefits to joining a sport, such as developing new relationships, and developing teamwork and also you'd be accountable to other people. Individual exercise seems unrelational and allows you to be unaccountable in your endeavor.

What do you think?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer playing hoops at a local court...like you said, you meet people.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Working out, treadmills, etc are all boring to me. Instead, I play basketball (about) 5 days a week at the local Y on my lunch break. We have a good group of guys that come out and play and normally we are running 5 on 5 full court. It's a great workout and fun at the same time.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I strength train as well as do aerobics. You really need both for overall fitness (long story why) and frankly the strength training which puts on muscle will be much more effective for losing weight.

It is often hard for me get motivated to begin my strength workouts but I usually get into it after I get started and feel the pump. I have a large chart on the wall listing about 40 different exercises with the amount of weight and the number of sets and reps I do. This helps sets goals as well as does body shaping goals and when one sees the positive results after a couple months of sticking to it those rewards start becoming quite motivating for me.

As for aerobics I think sports can be effective although if you want to be serious it’s best to keep some kind of continuous pace and plan on progressing. Right now I am enjoying mountain biking and realized it is a very good HIIT kind of aerobic workout being that I am going up and down hills, through sandy areas and fast and slow straightaways while continuously pedaling for about 1 ½ hours. Running can be fun if you’re training to work up to a 5 mile race, ½ marathon, marathon, whatever. You can get heart monitors, stop watch, pedometer, take different trails, try different training methods (there are tons of advice on how to train when starting running and many races to enter out there). There are also some very friendly and supportive running groups for all levels. Good luck!

#4 Benjamin, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2011
  5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Playing organized sports sounds like a wonderful way to get your exercise, be competitive, and meet new people. The problem is being able to do it a couple of days a week. I'd love to do this but I've got a trick ankle that gives me trouble if I aggressively pivot on it or put weight on it the wrong way. I sprained it three years ago and it still gives me trouble sometimes. This keeps me from participating in competitive basketball, which really bums me out.

In the spring and summer I coach youth baseball and keep somewhat active doing that. In the fall and winter I have a rowing machine and will do that for 20 minutes a day Mon - Fri while watching the news on TV. Not the most exciting way to get exercise but by establishing the routine at the same time every day helps me to stay on track and not skip days. I'll throw in some pushups and situps when I'm done rowing.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    how about walking ....with friends. About an hour a day @ a good medium pace with friends & family. you can discuss lots during that time. Also bicycling! But rowing is great for the ticker. Id keep that up if you got that time.:thumbs:

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The patholgy for a long term ankle sprain like that is most likely caused by a lesion from a microfracture and is due to muscular imbalances. X-ray/ultrasound to see what's going on and some PT has a very high success rate.

Coincidently, I'm doing homework on the ankle tonight and attending a 2 1/2 Orthopedics lecture and then a 3 hour lab on therapeutic interventions on the ankle both tomorrow and Thursday.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I suspected as much. The problem is that I'm on a high deductible health care plan (it's a joke) so I'm rationing my own health care to save money.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hear you. We pay 240 a month for a family of 4 with a 10k deductible. It's essentially catastrophic insurance, not health insurance.

To answer the OP, I would say do both. If you don't like working out, start off with sports. As you see your body adapt positively and change for the better, not to mention feeling better you probably will want to keep the upward trend going and incorporate resistance and aerobic activities.

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you get to pay $12,280 out of pocket before your "insurance" pays a dime.

Mine is worse. I cover myself and my two boys for $482 a month with a $10,500 deductible. (Wife has coverage through work and to cover whole family would cost more than what I'm paying for the three of us.) So that's $16,284 out-of-pocket before my "insurance" pays a dime.

And this isn't thievery?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm seriously considering Christian Healthcare Ministries. Co-ops make me nervous, though.