1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Exercising to UnGodly Music

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by AF Guy N Paradise, Feb 15, 2006.

1. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well,

This topic should get some traffic. I am trying to lose weight and as a matter of fact the Air Force is assisting in the process as well (lose another inch or separate). Anyway, I always work out up to six times a week, but now they are making me take classes like arobics, bootcamp, spinning, etc...

All of these classes play some type of music that isn't always the best kind to listen to. Hard rock, rap, basically anything that gets you going and makes you sweat.

I use to love hard rock music, but quit listening to it once I got right with God. But now I hear it nearly everyday in these classes that I can't avoid. What are some options for me to do?

* Give the instructor some classical or Christian music?

* Just try ignoring it the best I can?

* Don't go to these classes?

* Just get down with the rest of the class?

* other

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless.

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

We have similar issues in our JAzzercise classes. Some of it is a little suggestive, but we are allwomen in there (except for this one man that comes sometimes that kinda fits in, lol). We just dance to it anyway and not give it much thought. There have been occasional songs that someone has asked the instructor to replace.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Sometimes we have to live with undesirable things that we just cannot avoid. Personally, I think if you have the option, like its a voluntary class, or your own exercise program at home, than why would you compromise your own standards of music just to get a "good" workout....

But it sounds like these are classes that you are required to take. If its appropriate Id try to offer some alternative music, but you might just have to accept what the instructor wants to use and counteract it at home with lots and lots of very good music.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I would say focus on the exercise and try to ignore the music. Do what you got to do for the required time and get as much out of it as you can.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You will hear what your mind focuses on.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm gonna "ditto" SBC on this one!

I do arobic workout---I've tried various compilers

Billy Blanks is a good one---with good Christian music----if you like his style

Sherry Chambers is a good one----it sorta feels funny that here is a Christian lady leading a Arobic workout tape----that will "mess up" a platoon of US Marines!!!

7. Gib

Gib Active Member

I use my mini disc player at the gym. That way I can listen to what I want and tailor my own workout music or audio sequence.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] I don’t know why but I laughingly just had this really odd but funny vision of Blackbird doing dance aerobics. I don’t even know what he looks like but when the spandex started coming in I shook my head and went another direction. :eek: [​IMG]

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Bapmom is correct. I go to the gym two to three times per week to work out. Sometimes, they play music that, for whatever reason, I don't like. Sometimes, they do. I'm not going to be happy all the time. That's a fact of life.

But it's a gym. The music is supposed to put one in the "workout" mood. I don't expect my gym to adhere to all of my standards, within reason. That would be a bit selfrighteous for me to expect. If music with a hard fast driving rhythm offends me, I have no business being in a gym.

I suppose they could put on some Barry Manilow, but then everyone would fall asleep.

10. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for all the input. I agree with most of what has been said.

The problem is in order to have a good, sweaty workout this kind of music does work best. I do not sweat with slow playing music. The bad news is I could see myself getting into this kind of music again. They were playing Kiss music the other day and I use to love them, but I don't want to go back to where I use to be.

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

AF Guy,

and thats the definite possibility. Ask God to help you in this, and ask Him to help you keep your mind clean and clear, and who knows what He will work out for you. (no pun intended.... :D )

12. Mrs.Woogie

Mrs.Woogie New Member

Hi. I am a water fitness instructor. I think you should ask the instructor for a change of music. Give him or her some CD's. I had struggled with this alot. I have found some music on dynamix however most of it has a "wordly" beat. I did find some classical workout music that I play ALOT. I do not play any of todays Pop music or any other of the sort. I do find some 40's music that is not too bad. I can tolerate it I mean. If this does not work, which you cannot expect much, use an Ipod and play your own music.
    It does not hurt to ask. I work at the YMCA so I can get away with playin Christian music because it is a Christian organization. Other places might be differant.

W

13. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Obviously you don't attend the right kind of church because most are moving to get-down, get-down worship, seeker sensitive services with the praise and dance teams. Oh yeah and by the way some may play the ragae too, you know we gotta reach.
    Thanks ----Bart
    ...pray hard and squeeze the trigger gently.

14. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

As usual, Johnv offers very insightful advice. I also go to the gym four or so times a week. I don't pay much attention to the music. My own faith in Jesus is not heavily influeced by the music of this culture. It is a secular gym, I expect them to play secular music. If I do ever find myself being influenced negativly by the beat or lyrics, it is my responability to find alternate arragments for fitness.