1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Exodus Decoded

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by pinoybaptist, Aug 20, 2006.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Am watching it now. Like most shows in the Discovery channel that purports to investigate Biblical stories, the dialogue is full of "perhaps", "if so and so or thus and thus is right", "maybe", ""possibly", etc., etc., etc.
    What do you think, if you watched it ?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Discovery Channel has been showing a program called "Futureweapons" tonight.

It's the History Channel that is showing the program that you referenced.

The History Channel is not a Christian channel; therefore, it does not cater to fundamentalist Christians.

Its shows on World War II are excellent.

#2 KenH, Aug 20, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought it was interesting, though the filmmaker made several leaps of faith, so to speak, in outlining his theory.

Basically, the film argues that the traditional dating of the exodus is too late and moves the period back a couple of centuries to line it up with the expulsion of the Hyksos from Egypt and the eruption of Santorini, which it claims can explain many of the miracles of the Exodus story.

Interesting, but certainly not conclusive.

4. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Splendid graphics, nice narrative, but by no means conclusive.

There's another group "out there," a mailing list that one can subscribe to ~~ featuring a "new chronology" that is different.

http://debate.org.uk/topics/history/rohl-1.htm

I subscribed for a while but it became too mechanical / argumentative.

5. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

I watched it last night as well. I found it more conclusive than the most current beliefs.

Is it so hard to believe that God accomplished all his plagues by causing an Huge Volcano to erupt?

Too many want to take the Old Testament as literal in every aspect, but we know if we do that, we have problems. Also the mind has been distorted about the events of the Exodus because of Cecil De Milles "The Ten Commandments".

What the show did do?

WAS TO PROVE TO THE WORLD AND THE ATHEISTS THAT THE EVENTS OF THE EXODUS DID OCCUR!

Let us not loose site of this important fact by cloudying it with the issue of whether it was conclusive or not.

6. Inquiring Mind

And rightfully so! I rather have a History Channel that is unbiased toward any sect of christianity then one that is bent on twisting scripture and history for it's own gains and motives.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes. That would mean God lied to us in Exodus about what he did and how he did it. When God goes to the trouble of being so specific about each plague, I think we should listen to him and believe him.

Also, each plague was an attack on an Egyptian deity.

8. Inquiring Mind

was it now?

9. Inquiring Mind

If God did lie, that is his perogative. After all He is GOD. You are not and neither am I. Just like it's God's perogative to kill or have people be killed, God implicitly says "Do what I say, not what I do" in his Commandment "thou shalt not Kill".

But really, did God Lie? why not read Exodus again and found out what it really says.

10. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Wow, I was hoping that someone would discuss this. I was watching along with you.
    I found this program absolutely riveting. I am not sure I agree with the theories, but considering the fact that most of the programming on the History Channel seemingly attempts to debunk the Bible, it was a nice change.

I liked the smile on his face when he believed that he found the mountain where Moses received the 10 Commandments. I probably would have had to fight the urge to take off my shoes!!

What did everyone think about the items that were found in Greece? Was that too much of a stretch?

Regards to all,
    BiR

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I probably should have said that it appears that each plague was related to and therefore an attack on an Egyptian deity. Whether it was or not, I still believe the version in Exodus.

http://www.ccpc.net/~ephraim/10_Plagues.html

It is just a theory; I realize that.

A fascinating study can be done on the use of serpents and sankes in the OT, especially with the people God led out of Egypt, where snakes were feared and also believed to confer a protective power. I did a research paper on this (modified version online) at
    http://cana.userworld.com/cana_serpents1.html

12. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are right on the money, Marcia. It is also interesting to consider the creation account of Genesis in light of Moses demonstrating to the Hebrews that the gods they had served in Egypt were not gods at all; but in fact one Almighty God had created all things.

Compare the plagues to the things created on each day.

peace to you:praying:

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The events of the Exodus were supernatural. This was just another attempt to ascribe the events to a naturalistic cause instead.

And if Inquiring Mind new God better, he would know that it is impossible for God to lie.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Excuse me???

Ed