1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Explain Liberty in Christ?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by At His Feet, Apr 6, 2004.

1. At His Feet

At His Feet New Member

Liberty in Christ, what does this mean?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Free from the preforming the requirements of the law(O.T.), free from slavery to sin (we are free to choose not to sin though we don't always choose to, but now it is a choice).

3. Dina

Dina New Member

To "me" it means that there is choice, and conviction thru God and not man.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Dina, kind of like not having to follow man made laws for religion, like pharasees.

5. Dina

Dina New Member

Yea....that sums it up nicely.

But I guess what I was also getting at it is that there are some that will try to "convict" a Christian into doing/not doing something that pertains to man made laws for religion. To me that is man made guilt, not true *conviction* from the Holy Spirit, which then can be labeled as "works" and our salvation is not of works.

Ephesians 2
    8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, we get some of that on the BB occasinally. For some reason there are some who want to convict us instead of God. True life changing coinviction comes from God alone, through scripture.

7. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

To me it means the freedom to walk in the fulness of what my loving heavenly Father has for me. I know He loves me and I know He wants what is best for me. Liberty is experiencing God's best for my life. I am not bound by anything in Christ. He will always lead me to the Father and His will.

Bro Tony

8. At His Feet

At His Feet New Member

i am going to try to illustrate it with scripture:

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD [is] upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to [them that are] bound;

2Cr 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty.

Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Gal 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Jam 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth [therein], he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

before we came to Christ we were in bondage in trespasses and sin. when the Holy Spirit shows us the depths of our sin and when He shows us how His Grace is greater than all our sin. at the time that we accepted Christ as our Savior, the bonds of sin fell off and "now are ye washed". when a christian realizes their sins are gone because of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Like pilgrim the load falls off and our burdens are lifted. that is liberty(freedom) in Christ. in conclusion, now are we free to serve Him who made our liberty possible.

9. onestand

onestand New Member

To me it means listening to what God wants in your life and not living by what a pastor or other individual speaks out of their personal convictions. It's the freedom to hear God and know what He alone wants.

10. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

Freedom in Christ means we are no longer bound to follow the ceremonial, dietary, and civil laws in the Old Testament.

We still look to the Old Testament for God's moral laws and principles.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would qualify this to include "to confirm what is written in our hearts".

HankD

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The Law made lousy Jews and even worse Christians."

13. David Mark

David Mark New Member

When the door to God is open, in spite of myself, that is freedom or liberty to me.

I must still head the warning to not use my liberty as a coverup for wrongdoing.

It is a narrow path or fine line that seems impossible to continually walk sometimes.

That is why I need mercy and rescue.

Dave.