1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Explaining to Kids

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JRG39402, Feb 25, 2009.

1. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

My little sister is asking me if she is a Christian. She is about 9. How would you explain the gospel to her? Right now I am slowly going through the GOSPEL journey (http://www.dare2share.org/gospeljourney/) with her step by step trying to help her understand each concept. We just got through S and she seems to understand about Adam and Eve sinned and the price of sin is death and that she has sinned and that doing good things won't bring her back to God. We are about to talk about P - Jesus paying the price for sin. Have any of you dealt with explaining the gospel to children? How did you do it? I am trying to move slowly and be patient - something I didn't do before with her and she ended up not understanding really.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've done it atleast 4 times so far! And each time I helped a kid get saved. :D

We've taught our children about the Gospel from the cradle. They all knew why they did naughty things - because of sin. They knew that when they did naughty things, there must be a punishment. They understood the idea of someone else taking the punishment for them - and from there, we talked about how sin comes with a punishment of death, how Jesus died in our place so we can have eternal life and that when we become Christians, we now live for Him. Each one was 4-5 years old when they each, on their own, decided they needed to be saved.

Actually what might be a GREAT lead-in for your sister would be to rent The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It gets across in easy terms just what the sacrifice at the cross meant for us. That was actually the motivator for my son - it made the entire thing more real for him.

Also, pray with her and pray for her. What a blessing it would be for you to lead her to the Lord!

3. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get bashed by a parent of one of the kids in my Sunday School class for my method, but it does work. Ironically he gets it better than most of my other students.

I shoot straight from the hip, explaining the gospel just as I would to an adult. Kids don't need anymore dumbing down, they need lifted and challenged. They are also the best 'phony detectors' I have ever seen. Know your limits, don't be afraid to say 'I don't know but I will find out for you' and always follow through.
    You may have to spend a little time explaining some of the words being used, but they can,will, and do pick it up far quicker than we are willing to admit in this day and age.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I agree with that. In fact, I think many time we don't spend enough time explaining the terminology to adults. We assume that they know what we are talking about. When witnessing to kids, I just tell them exactly how it is and make sure to explain anything they don't know. Ask lots of questions...make sure they understand what you are talking about. If they are unsure about anything, explain it to them.

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I agree with that. In fact, I think many time we don't spend enough time explaining the terminology to adults. We assume that they know what we are talking about. When witnessing to kids, I just tell them exactly how it is and make sure to explain anything they don't know. Ask lots of questions...make sure they understand what you are talking about. If they are unsure about anything, explain it to them.

6. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

Just want to update yall. My sister is saved and has since talked to our children's minister.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Praise the Lord!!

8. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :godisgood: