1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Explanation of Zech.4:10

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by ElainaMor, Nov 24, 2015.

1. ElainaMor

ElainaMor New Member

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone can explain to me Zechariah 4:10. I read it in the ESV and it reads: "For whoever has despised the day of small things shall rejoice, and shall see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel."
    In translations like the NKJV,NASB and NLT it reads something like "who has despised the day of small things" or "don't despise small beginnings."
    Based off this it seems like the ESV has a different meaning, seems to me if it's saying that those who have despised small beginnings will be blessed rather than an admonition to NOTdespise small beginnings. I'm I wrong? Thanks.

2. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In v.10 it is referring to the skeptical people who will be brought to rejoice over God's faithfulness. If you cross reference with the laying the foundation of the 2nd temple, Ezra 3:10-12 & Hag 2:3) we see they were discouraged by the meager results and progress.

Historically, the NIV84 and ESV are accurate here. The people did despise/discouraged in Hag. 2:3

Those who despised were in fact blessed by the temple completion, which lends to the accuracy of the ESV/NIV84(haven't checked 2011) as well.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

3. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NIV2011 has changed the verse from the NIV84 rendering.

I see the NIV84/ESV approaching the verse one way. Even the KJV 1611 & 1900 shows men rejoicing along with the Lord.

The NKJV, NIV2011, NLT approach another. There must be some Hebrew difficulty here. I do not have the Hebrew text, nor do I know enough about Hebrew if I did.

I still see truth the NIV84 and ESV rendering. They were discouraged/upset/despising...whatever word we want to use. Yet they were blessed and no doubt rejoiced at the completion of the temple

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem arises in the Hebrew text due to the many times 'you' is used without enough proper pronouns to identify who the 'you' is.

The translational difficulty become prominant in verse 9 with the phrase, "Then you (singular) will know that the Lord Almighty has sent me {?] to you (plural)".

The "me" could be Zerubbabel, and he would be saying the sentence,yet it seems to be in the middle of the Lord's prophecy , "This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel" (vs 6).

The various obstacles Zerubbabel encountered in restoring a smaller temple to the historic site is compared to moving a mighty mountain (vs 6).

Either way, Zerubbabel will finish the Temple; the Lord sees and will rejoice and the people should rejoice.

Rob