1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Explicit Lyrics Prompt Lifeway to Yank Album from Shelves

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Baptist Brother

Baptist Brother Active Member

He calls himself a Christian, but he's teaching young people to speak in a crude fashion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christianity Today - Black Southern Baptists Weigh In on the Issues around Removing Sho Baraka’s Album

"Atlanta pastor John Onwuchekwa said for black leaders who represent the changing makeup of the SBC, incidents like Baraka’s CD getting pulled from LifeWay’s shelves feel 'like a slap in the face.'"

"'In certain evangelical contexts, it’s not enough for black or brown evangelicals to be conservative Christians or Reformed,' wrote Jarvis Williams, SBTS professor and author of the upcoming book Removing the Stain of Racism from the Southern Baptist Convention."

"Unlike previous cases when LifeWay has pulled materials, Baraka has direct ties to its denomination. The rapper served for years as an elder at Blueprint Church in Atlanta, an affiliate of the SBC’s North American Mission Board. He is scheduled to perform at a Southern Baptist Theological Seminary conference next month."

"Isaac Adams, a pastor at Capital Hill Baptist Church, described several of the specific struggles black Christians face in white churches....'All it takes is to be told once by a white brother or sister to just ‘get over’ the issues of race to feel like those in the majority are opposed to understanding you,' he wrote for 9 Marks."

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to remember that translators clean things up for propriety of the general reader.

Paul wrote: "More than that, I also consider everything to be a loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. Because of Him I have suffered the loss of all things and consider them [feces], so that I may gain Christ." (Philippians 3:8)

4. Baptist Brother

No so. The most sexually graphic verse in the Bible refers to the male member as the common word "flesh" in Hebrew. Many translators make the massage more graphic than it is in the Hebrew. And, I should remind you that Eze 23 is not a song marketed to kids, but is strong language of condemnation for unfaithfulness.

I don't know why you're trying to defend that racist and vulgar rapper who is ungrateful that his alleged music was prominently displayed by Lifeway in the first place. It's not like he can point to any white singer with CDs in Lifeway who is allowed to use language like he used in their store. His word wasn't even allowed on TV until the late '90s, yet he thinks a Christian bookstore should approve of it.

The word Paul used is the common non-vulgar word "casting" in Greek, as in "cast into the fire". We only know it to be feces because Paul uses in a compound with the word dog, dog casting.

Also, let me remind you, Paul doesn't say "casting" in a song marketed to children. And, Paul's use of that word is not surrounded by more garbage, unlike your rapper friend.

He's trash and kids following his example will be trash. His language is the language of trash. Not just that one word, but everything in his lyrics. No servant of God can approve of or sell such a thing. Just because he dressed up his dog casting in some Bible-like language doesn't make it any better. On the contrary, it makes it worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He says...

I'm not leading some great revolt or revolution against Lifeway: if getting kicked out of a Christian bookstore is our metric for revolution then I think we need to reevaluate our activism

Personally I feel it is apparent that the Rap Culture instills revolution into the hearts of the young...

...not revival.

God bless.

6. Baptist Brother

That Atlanta pastor is disgusting. This rapper is teaching kids to be trash. In just the one sentence that got his CD pulled, he used two different words that weren't even allowed on secular TV until fairly recently, for the reason of indecency. Yet, you have people like that Atlanta pastor claiming racism for a Christian bookstore refusing to sell it. And, no white artist is getting a pass from the bookstore for similar language

I read the lyrics to some of his raps, and they're trash from beginning to end. It's nothing but crude thinking and twisted doctrines. Darrell C notices reference to revolution rather than revival that was offered in defense of this rap. A Christian artist should be seeking revival.

What's really racist is lowering expectations for blacks, such agreeing to sell vulgar music just because the artist is black. What's really racist is teaching youth, presumably especially blacks, to speak and act crudely in the name of black culture. What's really racist is claiming racism whenever someone white treats blacks and whites equally.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Baptist Brother

I just googled a random video to find out a bit more about him. He's a Nigerian immigrant, yet in the video he occasionally speaks in Ebonics (e.g. aks instead of ask). Even though I don't think the topic of the video has anything to do with race, he says things like "When I have to watch videos of my black brothers and sisters being murdered in the streets [by cops]..."

9. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think his anti white stance would bother whites more than his use of the word...you know, the "p'' word lol. I was surprised to read some of the stuff he writes, he should not have his stuff sold at lifeway. To try to make it about race is silly because the shelves at lifeway have tons of black authors, gospel and worship, and my man, Tony Evans!

http://www.lifeway.com/n/Contributor/Evans,-Tony

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who are you to demand that he do either?

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #51 Aaron, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Albert Mohler promoting his appearance at this weekend's jr. high/sr. high youth conference:

Albert Mohler on Twitter
    [​IMG]

#54 Jerome, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That hat! And we're worried about his smokin' and cussin'?