1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Extra-biblical requirements

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dan e., Feb 21, 2008.

1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

As some others have already said, many of these things seem good. But if a church applies them universally, and makes them essentials for an elder, that is wrong, in my view. There may be all sorts of reasons why an elder may not be able to attend a leadership conference, or be at home at least three nights a week. If the man is saying, "I'm not going to any leadership conferences - I just can't be bothered!" or "You can't expect me to stay at home three nights a week, with my screaming kids, and my wife nagging me all the time!" that shows he is not eldership material, but that is no reason to make these extra-biblical requirements essential to the office.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was going to post, but I see that tiny has posted just what I would have said. :thumbs:

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I look at Jesus' ministry I asked my self about how many of those "things" were true of Him.

There are many very well written books by some of the best leaders in the world.

Some pastors in America are very poor at cross cultural experiences but are quite good at doing ministry. If they enjoyed cross cultural situations and God had gifted them in that way I would think that they would be in that situation. I know of several pastors in large churches who have no ambition to be in a cross cultural situation. However if one pastors in a large city there are already many cross cultural opportunities in their back yard. If you expect one to minister in cross cultural experiences then how many various ethnic groups are already in your church to support that kind of ministry? Most missionaries will tell you that for someone to come for a few weeks is a waste of time unless they just plan to build a building and leave. The money spent on travel to another country could last the people years in many cases. It is far cheaper and far better to spend the money and support someone from that country who is from that area. Many are willing to cross an ocean but few win many to Christ in their backyard.

I think it is admirable that you want a high quality pastor. But how many of those things are true of those who want those qualities in a pastor?

I fail to see any distinction in scripture about an elder who is paid and one who is not.

It is the Holy Spirit who opens and closes doors. So I would wondere where is the role of the Holy Spirit in the life of your church?

What I found is that a lot of people would go to a conference and hear the lastest and greatest methodology when they failed to study the Bible and read about what Jesus did in his ministry. Just look at how many times Rick Warren has spoken on the purpose driven church and how many people have eaten it up without any thought to what Jesus actually did. I fail to see any evidence that Jesus went to a conference to get "pumped up" but rather he got away from the crowds. Too often the crowds are nothing more than a time to gossip, rather than sit before God is quietness and listen to him.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Most of us believe that churches are autonomous and free to decide what expectations they will have of their pastors, elders, etc. Me personally, I have no problems with these additional expectations. They are designed to help the man to grow in his faith, his leadership ability, and to help him be accountable to his role as a husband and father.

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I wouldn't doubt that is true for a second. But, it is a little naive to make that a blanket statement about leadership conferences, and the people that choose to go to them.