1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus - moi?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Matt Black, Nov 30, 2004.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In my post the "result" is shown at the end - the persecution and death of protestants, Jews and those Catholics that differ with the administration during the Dark Ages.

There is no doubt that this was also the means of getting Catholics to slaughter Catholics as each Papal army infused its legions with fury to go and wipe out the heretics on the other side. Recall that rival poples labeled each other as "antichrist" and "apostate". So what did this make the armies of those thus labeled?

The doctrines I quoted from official RC Law - DID have a huge amount of FRUIT - it was not all just "theory".

So here is a question for you - if you were one of those Catholics living back then - how could you know for sure you were killing the right Catholics? How much better it would have been to let the Word of God guide them through His Spirit.

In Christ,

Bob

2. Bob, the answer is as you have pointed out. Tradition and scripture work together to give us the will of God. If you leave out one and only follow the other, then you are right, things such as this happen. Earnest prayer and meditation always help too! The problem with the idea of simply relying on the word of God is, you get thousands of different interpretations, and no way to reconcile those interpretations because if the Bible is your only guide, and you are interpreting the Bible, you have legitimately qualified for the only requirement.

Pax Christi,

Stephen

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Mark 7 Christ condemns the ONE TRUE nation church for contradicting the Word of God - the Commands of God - with nothing more than man-made-tradition.

Clearly in Christ's teaching tradition is being held subject to the Word - and not the other way around.

Christ said "In vain do they Worship Me, teaching for doctrine the commandments of men". And He goes on to say that they used tradition to violate the commands of God.

In Christ,

Bob

4. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, according to what Cardinal Ratzinger said, shown above, since the Baptist minister lowered me under the water when I made my public profession of faith, I'm OK and on my way to heaven?

5. Bob,

the use of the word tradition here is equivocal. Christ was referring to the traditions of the Pharisees which he outrightly spoke against...he does not mean EVERY tradition made by man is evil.

Debby,

It is not just baptism that gets you to heaven. Faithfullness to Christ and his promises help. But, if you are baptized, then the RCC by her own defintion of what a Christian should "look like" as it were, would say that yes, the gateway to heaven has been opened.

Pax Christi

Stephen

6. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

According to the Catholic Church, your baptism is valid. Now, for Catholic soteriology, that's kind of a beginning rather than an end to the story

Yours in Christ

Matt

7. Mr. Black,

Always you areable to state things more eloquently than I. Thank you.

Pax Christi,

Stephen

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree - and neither do I say that just becase a man-made tradition exits -- it must be evil.

Rather my argument is that the Mark 7 rule must be applied to all tradition - it must be tested to see if it violates God's commands - if it is contrary to His Word - then it is wrong.

If it does not violate His word - then at best it is "man's tradition" and possibly helpful in the Christian life.

However - the idea that there is on salvation outside of the Catholic church -- is simply false.

The teaching TODAY by the RCC that the New Covenant is CONFINED to the Catholic Mass and that non-Catholics CAN NOT be covered in salvation under the NEW COVENANT since they CAN NOT be under the New Covenant - is also error.

The quotes I have given showing the torment and condemnation suffered by Catholics who objected to Catholic errors - are valid still.

In Christ,

Bob

9. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think that's what the CC teaches today - I think it's been confirmed to me that the maxim of the OP does NOT mean that you and I are damned.

Yours in Christ

Matt