1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

F.A.I.T.H. Evangelism Strategy

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by USN2Pulpit, Jun 18, 2003.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

For those who have had experience in it in there church, does the FAITH evangelism strategy work?

We have had success in our church, and it's also served to help Christians to tell others about Jesus.

2. John Wells

John Wells New Member

First of all, praise God for the success that you and your church have had witnessing Jesus Christ to a lost world.

Since you asked about F.A.I.T.H., I will give you my opinion and the opinion of several others in our church who both received the instruction and who taught it! It requires a lot of memorization, an outline, that the one doing the witnessing must try to keep the one being witnessed to, to adhear to (just like Evangelism Explosion (EE) by D. James Kennedy that I have taken).

The problem is that the one being witnessed to almost never plays along or allows the conversation to run the course of the outline. The person trained to witness by the outline is all too often left awkward and at somewhat of a loss when this happens.

Our church recently dumped F.A.I.T.H. for a new program that I have no details on at the moment, but is by a guy from New Zealand, centers around the Ten Commandments and leads the person being witnessed to self-proclaim themselves a sinner in need of salvation by introspection. It's a fantastic approach and only requires memorizing the Ten Commandments. It comes across much more naturally, and does what Jesus did with the woman at the well, lets them reveal their own sins and see their need.

Our pastor, who participated in every F.A.I.T.H. class says this new program is awesome. I will try to get more details if replys request it.

In Christ,
    John

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

By all means find that info on the new method for us.

4. John Wells

John Wells New Member

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I took the F.A.I.T.H. Evangelism course over a year ago. Our church is still using it. However, I agree with John Wells. I personally didn't care for the strictness and word for word questions. I was taught, many moons ago, to witness using the Roman Road of scripture. With F.A.I.T.H. you have an f, a, i, t, h, and then i, i, i. All that hinges on the Key Question which is meant to be asked word for word....

Key Question: "In your personal opinion, what do you understand it takes for a person to go to heaven."

After completing the course, I have NEVER used the F.A.I.T.H. outline to witness and lead someone to Christ as Savior. I still use the Roman Road or whatever scripture fits the persons situation.

Just my humble opinion.
    Diane

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

It is a little bit rigid in its approach, I'll admit. But it's surprising how the FAITH acronym itself isn't the presentation. It only lays the groundwork. Many people put to much effort into the FAITH acronym and not enough into the actual testimony following. The presentation really begins when you tell (in your own words) of what Christ has done for us.

We as a church group kept what we liked in the program, and modified the rest as needed.

As for memorization, there's still a lot less than there is to EE!

I am interested in the other one mentioned though. It looks interesting.

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As we discuss various methods and programs, we need to remember
    Some tools are better fitted to a given circumstance than others. A craftsman (an unashamed workman) knows his tools and selects the right one for the job at hand. (e.g. you don't use a framing hammer for fine cabinetery)

8. RalphT

RalphT Guest

FAITH, EE and all the rest are merely "training tools". I think we miss the point when we ask, "does FAITH work?"

What "works" as far as evangelism methods is this-----"obedience"

9. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Squire and RalphT, you have given good points, of course!

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watched The New Yankee Workshop over the weekend. Norm showed off a piano carcass builder's tool box from the late 19th-early 20th century. The gentleman had built up his collection of tools needed for his craft over his career at one of NYC premier piano factories. The final box was built out of walnut with ebony trim. It contained almost every cabinetmakers hand tool imaginable plus the specialized tools need for the piano trade. The end result fully loaded with all the tools in place takes three men to lift onto the wall for display.

Well, enough of all this rambling by some one who appreciates the smell of hardwood shavings. What does the illustration mean? We need to build our collection of tools. How many Spiritual "screwdivers", "chisels", "wrenches or spanners", ect. do you have in your tool box for the Holy Spirit's use? Do the people you seek to minister/wittness to require any specialty tools? (The elusive eleven-thirtyseconds of an inch offset wrench/spanner and all you have is straight handled and metric.)

[ June 30, 2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

11. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

One of my concerns regarding F.A.I.T.H. is that at a pastors conferance I was at it was stated it was designed for churches running 100 or more and if your church is under 100 it may not be practical. Is that true?

12. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

I have found G.R.O.W. to be much better suited for the smaller church.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I even tend to believe that GROW is better for churches of even 200-300 or less.

14. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Hardsheller and TomVols, more information is needed! Please tell me about this program, so that I can preview and consider it. As always, your time is appreciated.

CP

15. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

The name in the Lifeway system is:

OUTREACH TEAMS THAT WIN:GROW

Order NO. 0767334655

Price: $134.95

Click the Following Link: GROW

16. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Hardsheller, perhaps I can coax you into giving me some of your experience with the program via e-mail or PM?

17. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

There are a number of very effective tools out there. Most are designed for a church that is larger than 100 in size. However, as the member of many smaller churches, they can still be effectively used if scaled properly and used as part of a strategy. The problem many of us have is to use 1 or 2 tools exclusively and forsake all others until the tool we were using no longer works so well. What we need to do is use many and adapt them as the needs change. We are in a church with 70 members perhaps. We have 5 groups who do visistations. Each targets a different demographic. I tend to visit with young married with children( my age in Sunday School/Bible study) and I am director of children's ministries. We have a group of ladies who visit old ladies and couples, our pastors visit with prospects and general hospital visits. Each of us use varied approaches that are best suited to the group and even the particular household we visit. Our pastors refuse to formally train us in a particular program. They have been through a few offered and encourage us to implement elements of all of them.

18. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

As always, j_barner2000, you continue to make good points, as have many others. It doesn't follow, however, that the exploration of any one particular tool means that it's the only one we ever intend to use. In a church that's currently doing "nothing," you have to start with "something."

Since we're talking about tools, when I took carpentry in school, they wouldn't let me anywhere near the power tools until I'd mastered the pull-saw!

In other words, we're in agreement...but I still want to explore this one tool first!

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

FAITH is nothing more than the old method with a no name? But did you notice the FAITH program Jesus used and the program Paul used?

Ever see a person who is being discipled not eventually share their faith?

The problem with most of these programs is that they give the impression that what they present is the gospel. But Paul writes the gospel in 1 Cor. 15:1-4. It is very short.

20. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

usn... I agree. I guess, here in AZ, my comment would have been considered heresy... Many swear by F.A.I.T.H. But, like I said you need to find the best tool and adapt it to your needs.
    Grow, I have heard, is very effective with small groups. The biggest problem I have encountered has been getting participation in visitation of any sort. Everyone is so busy. Faith is diffucult because of the 13 weeks of consecutive sessions. I would personally start by exploring "lifestyle evangelism".. there is an old (the old tape strip/ cartridge system old) program our pastor still teaches with. It is more geared toward relationship building and sharing our personal testamonies. But may be a good start. and just visiting guests to your church by 2s is how we started doing it.