1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Face to Face

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by DeadMan, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Infallible? What about you? If so, please prove me.
    The Holy Spirit's work made perfect on them because of the Holy Spirit's leading. We must remember that the present mass of Bible variants and confusion is under God's permissive control during God permitted Satan to attack His Word down through the centuries by adding variants or removing scripture.

2. Askjo

Askjo New Member

My answer to you is on 2 page of this thread.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lemme Ask Jo THIS one...Did he lead you to a version which disagrees within itself, as has been shown?

God has shown me He is NOT LIMITED by the theories of man, and that He can present His word ANY WAY HE CHOOSES. The HOLY SPIRIT has given me many answers from several versions & has shown me that God is still in charge of His own word, and that He did NOT retire in 1611....that He goes right on providing His word in the current languages despite mens' attempts to thwart him.

Why did not God lead you to the colleges you now diss and to Bible versions you no longer use? To prepare you for the particular work He has for you. He has different work for each believer, same as your hands & feet have different functions while serving the same whole body.

Just because He has led you to a certain college, Bible version, or group of people doesn't mean all else is wrong.

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The Holy Spirit's leading? Let me give you 3 true stories.

How did two girls get saved?
    I never meet 2 girls because they are out of the USA. We communicated each other through letters. I realized that they are Catholics. My responsibility on them, if they are not saved, is that God required their blood upon my hands. What will I do? I prayed before go to bed at night. I prayed and asked for helping me to find the address. God saw my faith. When I woke up, God commanded me, "Get up and go to a store" I know where a store is. I obeyed Him. I got up and left my parent's house and drove to a large Christianbook store. When I arrived at a store, I entered and stood by the door. I let the Holy Spirit lead me to a right area. I followed His leading to a wrong asisle. I firmly stood in asisle and waited and I asked God, "where?" God said to me, "go back to next asisle" I went back to a right asisle and stood again there. The Holy Spirit said to me, "Look at your shoes. " I puzzled and said "my shoes?" I looked down at my shoes and guess what? The book is on the floor. I picked it up and looked for it, but I gave it up. The Holy Spirit said to me, "SEARCH!" I had to search until I found an address. The Holy Spirit was right because He led me to a right area. I wrote down address of the church on my little paper. I went back home and wrote a letter to church. One month later I received a letter from this church. I read it and a pastor notified me that 2 girls GOT SAVED.

How to find a right person?
    I met many women, but they rejected me. My preacher told me to go to Tenn. Temple University and find a Christian woman. Guess what? The Holy Spirit said to me, "NO!, he is wrong!" I stayed here in my hometown. I tried to find a right woman somewhere, but I always failed. What will I do? I prayed and asked for giving me a right woman. God saw my faith. He told me to a city bus. I said, City bus? I went to a city bus and sat in a bus. I looked around many women. I can't tell which one is a real Christian because there are many unbelieving women in that bus. When I looked at each woman from left to right. The Holy Spirit pointed at a woman when I looked at her, but I ignored His leading. I missed that one. I lost 1st chance. I did not find her because I failed to obey God. I took a little book and read it. I learned God's Word's warning about second chance. I had to obey God fully without ignoring Him. When I waited for a city bus, my legs were shaking for no reason and I puzzled why I was shaking. This bus stopped and I entered it. Guess what? I saw SAME girl whom the Holy Spirit pointed at. But I was stuck because of full people in that bus. God's plan for me was 100% perfect. A person went out of bus. I had SECOND chance to sit NEXT to her. We shortly chatted. We agreed for a date. One day we got married. God perfectly gave me a Christian wife. We have been married for over 20 yrs.

How can't a staff stand on me?
    When we were hired on same day, we worked together in work area. During working I worked on papers and separated envelopes and threw them in trash bin. I did not watch at a staff during working. The Holy Spirit led me to stop a staff and looked at one envelope and picked it up. A staff looked inside that envelope. He saw imoportant document in it. He glanced his eyes at me. He gestured his face at me like serious face. The Holy spirit led me to stop him a few times. This staff missed documents inside these envelopes then he got up and stood and walked away from me because he can't stand on me. The Holy Spirit led me to look at trash and picked envelopes and found some documents in them many times. I missed them, too. The Holy Spirit is omniscient and omnipresent. I obeyed the Holy Spirit by His leading.

Questions
    How did I find an address in 2 girls' home location where a church is then they got saved? The Holy Spirit is omniscienct and led me to a right store in my hometown. None of any churches provided me for address of the church out of the country.

How did the Holy Spirit lead me to a right woman who is a Christian in unbelieving area? You see, at Bible colleges you can see MANY christian women there, right? In my hometown MANY unbelieving women are in bus, parks, malls, seculiar colleges, downtown, anywhere, but one Christian person whom I found by the Holy Spirit's leading.

How did the Holy Spirit lead me to the KJV? I already provided you a detail in my past post.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Again, praise God for His leadership, and for His leadership in my decision as well!

Ain't God great!!

6. BruceB

BruceB New Member

C4K - BIG improvement in the picture there buddy! Bruce

7. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Askjo,

Please, I know you are capable of an honest answer, so lets try one more time.

Are you claiming that the Holy Spirit cannot lead me to use the NASB as my main bible, and to use others in my search for the "sense of the scriptures", following the advice of the KJV translators?

YES or NO.

Its very simple. I am not concerned with what Frank Logsdon said, because those stories are in debate.
    I am not concerned with your attempted emotional insults from your opinions on the translation I use. for once, if you are able, give a direct answer to a direct question, THEN proceed to explain yourself.

This is what honest christians do when asked a direct, honest question.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't that be called a latter day revelation since it wasn't expressly said or even alluded to in the scriptures?

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The most ardent KJVOnlyists I have ever known didn't come from these areas... I lived a total of 6 years in GA, 2 years in SC, and 25 years in NC.

10. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Scott,
    That is an interesting observation. I have lived much of my life (50 years) in eastern NC and I do not know a single KJVO person. My buddy, who I ate lunch with today< is KJV Preferred, as is my wife, but they are the only two KJVP I know. Most of the Free Will Baptists I know use the NIV, in my SBC church you will see nearly every translation, our current preacher uses the NIV most of the time. Now most big family Bibles you see on coffee tables are the KJV, but the "carry to church" and "read in the morning" Bibles are not, at least from my observation. Bruce

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Now hold on, people. DeadMan asked a very honest question at the beginning of the thread. I really think that rather than him being bothered by her stand all that much, he was rather more bothered by her attitude towards him (a stranger) for simply standing there and looking at another version. I have to agree with him there, and Im KJVO as well. I would not have braced someone else in a bookstore over such a thing....it is none of my business what they do.

All of you who use other versions also say this.....it is not MY business what version you use. Ok, well Askjo has been dignified enough to only give you the reason HE uses the KJV....which is what he was asked. He (and those others of us who are KJV) have restrained ourselves, so far from what I can see in this thread, from assuming that anyone else here is NOT led by the Holy Spirit. It seems in the last two pages that now Askjo is being almost ganged up on in order to try to get him to tell you why YOU others should do what YOU believe is right. If you are convinced in your own mind, why should any of us be called upon to make any comment whatsoever towards the Holy Spirit's leading on YOUR life?

Come now, its not fair to ask someone if they then think they have a perfect understanding of the Bible simply because they have a conviction to only use the KJV. Let's stay nice here....

[​IMG]

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Wouldn't that be called a latter day revelation since it wasn't expressly said or even alluded to in the scriptures? </font>[/QUOTE]That would be like saying God's leading in your life towards what Bible college you attend is a "latter day revelation."

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I agree with those who said the Holy Spirit led them to use the KJV. I was not raised KJVO, in fact my parents think Im kind of strange on that one. We were KJV preferred, but now my parents do not even use the KJV where they go to church.

So yes, some are KJVO because of how they were raised, but I can attest that Im one of those who came to that conclusion through my own studies, not just a bolt of lightning "revelation" that fell from the sky one day....but thoughtful, considered study of many different sides of the issue, as well as prayer, brought me to that conclusion.

14. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I know that in the foothills of SC, in the Greenville SC area it's very KJVO'ist I cannot comment on the rest of the state. I have a friend who was born there and I went back with him on vacation and every IFBC in that whole upstate used the KJV and were KJVO.

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't that be called a latter day revelation since it wasn't expressly said or even alluded to in the scriptures? </font>[/QUOTE]That would be like saying God's leading in your life towards what Bible college you attend is a "latter day revelation." </font>[/QUOTE]Nope... Because I would not question someone's salvation, spirituality, orthodoxy, or adherence to the fundamentals because they chose a different school than mine.

The Holy Spirit does lead us. I use the KJV as my primary Bible. But that doesn't entitle me to make up things like claiming that it is "God's only inspired word to the English speaking people" or claiming secondary revelation as in "every word is perfect to the exclusion of all other translational choices".

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that in the foothills of SC, in the Greenville SC area it's very KJVO'ist I cannot comment on the rest of the state. I have a friend who was born there and I went back with him on vacation and every IFBC in that whole upstate used the KJV and were KJVO. </font>[/QUOTE]There are several BJU associated churches in the area that aren't KJVO. They may use the KJV but aren't KJVO.

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DeadMan asked:My question is this: How does one come to the conclusion that only one english translation of God's Word is the authentic word of God? I mean, had I been a little more prepared for that encounter, I could have taken a more ESVO position, if there is one, and I would have been in error.

The usual method is to read something by a KJVO author, or to have a KJVO pastor. Many laymen believed these authors or pastors have "superior knowledge" of BVs because it's their life's work. Actually, few pastors have had ANY training in the versions issues, and mosta the KJVO authors have more or less copied previous works, re-wording them to avoid plagiarism, and also adding some of their own work. Generally, they're not trained pros nor scholare either.

If one GENUINELY studies the issue with an unbiased eye, one will soon see that the one-version thingie just isn't so. There are two major facts that prove it incorrect....A TOTAL LACK OF SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT is the main one, as w/o Scriptural support, no doctrine ABOUT Scripture can be true. If that isn't enough, there's the whole line of English BVs, from Wycliffe's to today, no two of which are exactly alike. Can God not take care of His own word? I believe He CAN, and therefore the whole line of English versions exist because HE THUS WILLS.

Again, the chief cause of one-varsionism, IMHO, is simply taking someone else's word for it, w/o checking out the VERACITY of their claims.

18. Anti-Alexandrian

Right.
    But IF one will put aside their pre-conceived notions,and indeed studies the subject WITH a unbiased eye,will come to find that Alexandrianism is stillborn and mainly fueled by emotionalism,fear of ridicule from peers,and guesswork with not one peep of Scripture(any edition,any version)to support it.

19. Orvie

Orvie New Member

Right.
    But IF one will put aside their pre-conceived notions,and indeed studies the subject WITH a unbiased eye,will come to find that Alexandrianism is stillborn and mainly fueled by emotionalism,fear of ridicule from peers,and guesswork with not one peep of Scripture(any edition,any version)to support it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Just once, just ONE TIME AA, I'd like to see you start a post without that scowling face! Don't be so miserable [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think so, A_A. Were YOU present when any of the mss were written? If not, you're just guessing, same as anyone else. However, GOD was present when they each were written, and He's allowed them to continue to exist.

Anyway, the topic was the reasons why one becomes a one-versionist, and while the mss question may be a factor for a few folks, it's not even considered by the vast majority of Bible readers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.