1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Facebook vs the church bulletin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How extenstive does your church use Facebook to get church info out.

Should we expect folks to check the church Facebook page to find info?

We had a lady upset that she did not know certian info about a church activity because she does not do Facebook.
    (note: we had also announced the info during church announcemnt time.)
    (and yes, she does have internet access)

Do you think that a hundred years ago, someone who just got one of those new fangled telephone installed in their house, expect that new invention would take place of church announcements?

Thoughts?

Salty

(and no - this will not cause a church split :smilewinkgrin:)

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

I'm all for using whatever will get people's attention, and if Facebook is it, so be it. My ministry partner and I who oversee the men's ministry at our church had the church IT dept. put up a Facebook page for the men, most of whom have Facebook to one extent or another. Our church has a Facebook page as well as a website, both of which are used to get the word out about church activities, services being altered due to inclement weather (we never cancel, just revise) and other ministries have Facebook pages like the men do: women, children, choir, shelters and food pantries, etc.

I think its the best use for Facebook anyone has ever come up with. It preaches Christ using the world's own system. We still have the "old fashioned" systems as well: bulletins, newsletter (but it also goes out in electronic form using mailChimp every week, too) and telephone voice response system, whereby people can call in and get the church schedule by pressing "1" or some number (can't remember which). Anything that helps people stay in touch in their own comfort zone should be used as thoroughly as possible, in my opinion.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church makes use of Facebook, Twitter, etc. We should not expect people to check Facebook but it should be an option, but not the only method of communication.

My old church was a fundamental IFB, and they reluctantly started using Facebook and Twitter, rather clumsily, I might add. I thought it kind of ironic that they would embrace this technology while denouncing other modern methodologies as being "worldly" and "of the devil".

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think facebook could be one of several forms of communication, but certainly people should not be expected to use that to keep current about church events.

While facebook might be a good tool for announcements, I'd be cautious abut having anyone reply because of potential security problems. It's like announcing to the world you won't be home at such and such time because you'll be at a church activity. Same thing with prayer lists. . .for example, an elderly widow might not want it broadcasted if she's in the hospital. It's an invitation for thieves to come rob the house.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Once upon a time, my husband and I ran the church website and we always made sure to post there quickly when things changed. Now someone else runs it and we need to e-mail them then hope that they post in a timely manner (usually they do).

In most cases, everything is said in announcements, the bulletin, on the church website and on the Facebook page. My husband and I have access to change the Facebook page and to e-mail in case of things changing so we encourage everyone to make sure that we have their current e-mail address and that they check the website, Facebook and e-mails if there are questions. Really, the only reason we'd have to notify anyone last minute is weather changes and if they don't have access to a computer, they will have to call the church office, hoping that the messages have changed as well (if we're not there).

But yes, we use the Facebook page to notify people as well but I'd say probably only about 5-10% of the congregation is on Facebook.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree with everything everyone has said so far. If your church is going to think about communication, they need to have a communication (or marketing, or whatever you want to call it) plan. Bulletins handed out on Sunday mornings, and available at the door at the other services; announcements, if your church does that; Facebook and/or website info as information becomes available; phone, Facebook, Twitter, and text-messages for "need to know NOW" information.

But ultimately, they all need to match up and have the same info.

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We have a multi-layered social media strategy that is integral to our larger communications strategy.

Our Facebook page is complete and provides good information for those looking for a church and some additional major announcements. Twitter is our primary conduit of announcements and news as well as our website.

We produce a worship guide every week that has some announcements in it, but it primarily is geared towards providing info for those who are new to our church about getting connected. We do not list worship plans or order of service in our worship guide as our services vary. :)

8. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

The church of which I am a member ( www.lighthouseministries.org ) issues a weekly email newsletter that ordinarily is sent out to those who sign up for it.

For items of more immediate attention (prayer requests, deaths, etc.) we use both a "telephone chain" and/or a "CHURCH OFFICE" email communication system that goes out only to those who've signed up to receive such notifications.

Having worked in the telecommunications industry for several years, I know that even even 911 centers can be quite easily accessed within a few minutes. [I've had to re-route 911 centers {PSAP} myself due to storm damages, power outages, etc.] Some may recall that even the once highly touted LifeLock system was hacked into; and who hasn't heard of the activities of the NSA??

If unscrupulous people want to access your "private info" badly enough, they'll eventually find a way to do so.

Reminds me of the old story of dear old "Sister X" who was hospitalized for 3-4 weeks and never called anyone to let them know. Then, come first Sunday after being released, she complained because no one in the church took the time to visit her!

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

We use a planning center, facebook, emails, whatever. Cheaper than newsletters and mail.

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Plus, one of the best church directories I have ever seen!

11. Gib

Gib Active Member

We use a weekly bulletin, a monthly newsletter, FB, website and calling post to communicate with our folks.

12. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church has a page on facebook, but I don't think I've seen them do much updating on there.
    Sometimes for the specific group I'm in the leaders will send a group message. I don't know about the rest of the church.

Announcements overall seem to be done mainly at the beginning of each service.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

By the way, we do have a (generally) weekly bulletin.

It seems like more in the church I attend want to go green.