1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 'Faith Alone' and James 2:24.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Martin Marprelate, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 18:9. 'Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others...............'

LOOK AT MY RIGHTEOUSNESS, JESUS!! LOOK HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU!! LOOK AT ALL THE STUFF I'M BRINGING WITH ME AS I COME TO YOU!!

Mark 2:17. "I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

2. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen.

1 Corinthians 13
    3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

Matthew 12
    37For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

3. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen indeed. But how do you love someone you don't believe in?
    Amen to you too.

Isn't it a blessed fact then that this doesn't apply to those who have trusted in the Lord Jesus Christ, but to unbelievers?

John 5:24. "Most assuredly I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgement, but has passed from death to life."

Romans 8:1. 'There is now therefore no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.'

4. utilyan

Site Supporter

Matthew 12

35“The good man brings out of his good treasure what is good; and the evil man brings out of his evil treasure what is evil. 36“But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment. 37“For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Right there Jesus could have easily said Faith Alone.

Matthew 12
    35“The good man brings out of his good treasure what is good; and the evil man brings out of his evil treasure what is evil. 36“But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment. 37“For by "Faith Alone" you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

I can agree with Christ. Will our words justify us? After reading that any child can answer yes.

Why isn't Christ Teaching FAITH ALONE?

5. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He does teach FAITH ALONE. "Most assuredly I tell you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgement, but has passed from death to life" (John 5:24).
    'Then they said to Him, "What works shall we do that we may work the works of God?" Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent"' (John 6:28-29).

So are we going to carry on playing Scriptural Top Trumps, or are we going to reconcile these texts?

In Matthew 12:35-37, a man's heart is a reservoir or a treasure-store (cf. Matthew 2:11) in which are found either good or bad things, according to whether he has been born of God or not. When unsaved people speak, their words condemn them for they come from their heart's treasury of evil and will condemn them on the day of judgement. When Christians speak, their words should be from their treasury of righteousness. If they are not, then they need to be confessing their sins before God. If God does not lead them to repentance, it is because they are not Christians.

Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone. The evidence of salvation is a changed life and purified conversation. To my shame, before I was saved I was much given to blasphemy and foul language. It was the evil treasure of an evil heart. Praise God, since I trusted in Christ, He has purified my heart and thereby my lips. If I should fall, I confess my sins to God, 'and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses [me] from all sin' (1 John 1:7). It is all of Him and none of me, 'to the praise of His glorious grace' (Ephesians 1:6).

6. utilyan

Site Supporter

Again its the ignorance of meaning of words.

Jesus Christ was not born in the United States with a King James bible falling out the sky.

The contrary to believe is disobedience.

John 3:36
    "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

apeithōn --> Disobey

Jesus wasn't challenging his existence which is even more absurd when he states these things in front of peoples faces

Jesus says BELIEVE IN ME and you will be driving a car.

Then elsewhere we see you need to turn the key to turn on the car.

Then elsewhere we see you need to step on the gas to make the car go.

All three statements ring true. But leave it to one guy to swear up and down he only needs to believe Jesus exists to drive a car.

How do you explain it to him?

Jesus says believe him and you will be saved.

The sermon on the mount, instructions in what needs to be done to be saved.

When asked what we need to do to be save/eternal life, he tells us follow the commandments, do this and that.

All three statements ring true. But leave it to that one guy to swear up and down he only needs to believe Jesus exists to be saved.

That one guy existed in Christ's time too. Which is the whole reason we have James 2.

James 2
    20But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless?

Who is this foolish fellow!?

And then its worst.. This man who weighs the direct command of God based on whether he gets paradise/salvation or not.

The command of God is what it is. God tells me to do something I don't first look for excuses or payment of anykind.

Loving your neighbor isn't going to save you................

Loving my neighbor might not earn me a dime, it might even cost me a dime or my life eternal or not.

But because God commands it, he gets it.

7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you deny sola fide, then you are a heretic.

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Jesus is not a sinner and, thus, does not need salvation.

2. Jesus was a Jew. Jews were bound to keep the law.

We are not Jews.

You keep saying this, but you still haven't shown any evidence that Satan has saving faith in God.

9. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmmm....I am not going to read the last 9 pages so this may have been hashed out...
    Seems to me that Ephesians 2:8-9 are clear statements.
    "For by grace you are saved"
    That seems pretty straightforward. Am I missing something?
    "through faith, not of yourself"
    "it is the gift of God so that no one can boast."

So...how is it faith alone?

God acts = grace
    God gives faith = a gift to the one being shown grace.
    God is glorified = God the Father honors God the Son by giving the Son people who will spend eternity praising Him for His gracious gift of faith.

Is faith the only gift that God has given us? No. But faith is the gift that unlocks the prison doors. Even in our walk of sanctification, faith is the key that releases us from the dungeons of despair.

Praise God for such a wonderful gift, given by grace when I didn't deserve it.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only passage in the Bible that addresses 'faith alone':

24 Ye see that by works a man is justified, and not only by faith. Ja 2

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James and Paul are speaking of the flip side of the same coin in salvation, as Paul is addressing what and how a sinner becoes justified and saved by God, and after that, how their lives should reflect that they have now been saved!

12. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that's the only verse in your Bible that addresses the Biblical doctrine of sola fide, then you should take your Bible back where you got it and ask for your money back.

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don't you get your Bible out and show me where you read that justification is by 'faith alone'?

Consider it a challenge.

14. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 15:6 "And he believed the Lord; and the Lord reckoned it to him as righteousness."

Isaiah 55:1 ""Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost."

Matthew 7:22-23: "Many will say to me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?' And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Luke 5:20: "And when he saw their faith, he said unto them, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee."

Luke 18:10-14: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men —robbers, evildoers, adulterers— or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God."

Luke 23:40-43: "But the other criminal rebuked him. 'Don't you fear God,' he said, 'since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.' Then he said, 'Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.' Jesus answered him, 'I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.'"

John 3:16: "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

John 3:18: "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son."

John 6:28-29: "Then they said unto him, 'What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?' Jesus answered and said unto them, 'This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.'"

John 5:24: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."

John 6:40: "And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life, and I will raise him up at the last day."

John 6:47: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life."

Acts 10:43: "Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins."

Acts 16:31: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved."

John 14:6: "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh to the Father, but by me."

Acts 26:18: "...that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in me..."

Romans 1:17-18: "Therefore the just shall live by faith. The wrath of God is indeed being revealed from heaven against every impiety and wickedness of those who suppress the truth by their wickedness."

Romans 3:28: "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law."

Romans 4:5: "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

Romans 5:1: "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Romans 10:9: "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Romans 11:6: "And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."

Romans 14:23: "...for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

Corinthians 1:21: "For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe."...

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...Galatians 2:16: "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

Galatians 2:21: "I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."

Galatians 3:1-3; 9-14; 21-25: "O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Receive ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by hearing of faith? Are you so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? ... So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree. That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; so that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.... Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. But the Scripture harh concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster."

Galatians 5:4,5: "Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith."

Ephesians 1:13-14: "In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory."

Ephesians 2:8-10: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

Philippians 3:9: "And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith."

Galatians 3:8: "The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith..."

1 Timothy 1:16: "However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all long suffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life."

Titus 3:5: "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost."

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of these address 'faith alone' at the final judgement.

Have you read the entire thread? You should read and address my earlier posts so that I don't have to repeat them, please.

17. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree.

You're a false gospel spewing heretic. Why should I care what your previous or current posts say?

Sola fide is a foundational doctrine of Christianity. These verses support it. If you don't like it, then you can go to Hell with the Catholics.

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...seems the BB has had a rash of bigots recently....

19. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and heretics, apparently.

20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All the passages you quoted only made scripture appear to contradict scripture, which can be summed up like this:

Compare:

….the doers of the law shall be justified Ro 2:13

With:

by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified… Ro 3:20

Instead of knee jerk slandering me, care to give your explanation of this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.