1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith based health care?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Feb 2, 2011.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I received an email today stating those who belong to Christian based health care sharing plans are exempt from Obamacare in '14.

http://www.salememail.com/specialoffers/christianCareMediShareFOX/default.aspx

Are companies like Medishare a good alternative to traditional health insurance and is this something that could benefit believers from Obamacare? Anyone have this or had it in the past?

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years ago we looked into medi-share but decided against it. At the time our youth pastor and his wife had the plan and it did not cover anything regarding the brain and many illnesses regarding reproductive/sexual problems. They would not cover mental health issues, either, or anti-depressants, seizure meds etc. We got the idea that Medishare felt Christians wouldn't have medical problems in these areas. It was very sad, because our youth pastor's daughter had seizures and the plan would not even help cover the brain scan.

I don't know what their current requirements are, but I do know that several years ago we only heard bad things about it.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

[SIZE=+0]It is unfortunate that you have painted these programs as you have. The truth is that your youth pastor knew going in what they would and would not cover, or he should if he can read. They do not try and hide what they do. Second these plans are not for those who wants and can afford full coverage. They are plans that will keep someone out of the poor house when thye do not have employer paid coverage due surgery and or cancer treatment, and broken bones. They do not cover the regular doctor visits. Thirdly these plans are so much cheaper in premiums I find it difficult that anyone would run them down when the monthly cost is only about 100 to 150 dollars a month with a small co-pay of around 200 to 500 dollars for hospital bills and they pick up the rest usually with a max payout. [/SIZE]
    In fact I personally know of one pastor who had one of these and was diagnosed with prostate cancer. His bills were all paid for his treatment which was nearly 100,000 dollars and it only cost him the co-pay of a few hundred. So the plans are good, they just may not be for those who desires a more lavish coverage which will cost 1000 dollars a month or more verses the 100 to 150 dollar range for these plans.

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free, the OP wanted to know about the program and I simply relayed what I knew. If the program works for you, great, but it certainly isn't for everyone. I would hate for someone to get a policy like this only to have a dire emergency they never knew would happen, then realize they weren't covered and had to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket because of lack of coverage. If I had a medical policy like this one, I'd make sure to have a stash put aside for unexpected emergencies.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is exactly my point.[personal attack edited] Those who take the programs know upfront what they are paying for. So if someone wants Cadillac insurance they can go else ware.

#5 freeatlast, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  6. milby

milby Member

I looked into medishare once and the premiums were not $100-$200 they were nearly $400/month. Now this was for a family of 5 so maybe it is $100 per person. We currently have an insurance plan that cost $300/month but that only covers major medical and it has a $5,000.00 deductible.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I really think this is uncalled for. ABC gave testimony to what she knows of it. This way, one can look into it further. What's wrong with that? You posted the same. So what's the difference?

#7 annsni, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
  8. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am enrolled on one called Christian Healthcare Ministries. I'm pleased with what they provide. It isn't a major medical policy. It's more like hospitalization. As has already been pointed out, before doing this, you need to read all the fine print.

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. --------:rolleyes:

#9 abcgrad94, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
  10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith based health care is found at James 5:13-18, Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises. Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months. Then he prayed again, and the sky poured rain and the earth produced its fruit.

11. kenlyn

kenlyn New Member

Medi-share is not an insurance program

To be clear, Medi-share is not an insurance program. Medi-share operates as a non-profit group and while members pay into a group fund each month, the money is never Medi-share’s money. Furthermore, Medi-share is not required to pay any bill, nor keep cash reserves on hand.

12. kenlyn

kenlyn New Member

Medi-share may seem like, pardon the pun, a gift from God. A faith-based community of strangers banding together to help one another cover their medical costs, but enrollment does come with a hitch. Those who wish to become members must be able to prove their faith....I found a good bit of info on Medi-Share and reviews Here I hope this helps. :)

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you for the further clarification...and welcome to the board! I was aware of this already, but it is good to state it for those who weren't. In your opinion, is CHM or Medishare a better organization?

14. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Doesn't Benny Hinn have the market cornered on Faith Based Health Care?:smilewinkgrin:

John

15. kenlyn

kenlyn New Member

Talking with a Medi-Share rep will help. Just make sure to ask ALL the questions that are important to you and understand how this Non profit works from the inside out! This site has more on Medi-Share and comments from others that have used it or still do. www.newsonhealthcare.com I understand that they will be doing a very detailed article soon on the inner workings of Medi-Share and how they have come to be who they are today. Some of what will be reported on will be eye opening and lots of questions will be asked!

#15 kenlyn, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012