1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith is from Christ to the Elect

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You have ignored all my scripture proofs, and no, I am not going to comment on something you bring to the debate. Do your own study and explain how it proves my points wrong. You think you can just ignore the work I have done to prove my point, and just start explaining all the scriptures you bring after ignoring what I have already worked to post ? No I am not. Now start proving what I have posted wrong, or you have failed. Proving what I have stated wrong is not just ignoring it, and then asking a bunch of questions of scriptures that you are incompetent to explain yourself !

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Faith comes by HEARING the word of God. And that is only in the context of divine faith or the faith to believe the message of God.
    We exercise faith every day.
    Jesus said except you have faith as a little child you cannot enter the kingdom of God.
    Little children have faith. What is the object of their faith? The object of their faith is their parents in whom they trust for protection, provision, etc.
    I put my faith in my vehicle for transportation. Others put their faith in the public transportation system. They trust it. They have read about it, heard about it, experienced it, and have put their confidence in it. The more they ride it and trust its reliability the greater faith they will have in it. That is how faith works.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.
    The context was Israel. Israel heard the Word of God. The more she heard the word of God, the more confidence she should have been able to put in Jehovah. The more promises that God gave her the more trust she should have been able to have. The more one hears God's Word, the more they are comfortable with its promises and provision.

In application to the unbeliever: the unbeliever already has faith. But he must hear the gospel, that is the word of God. Will he put his confidence in this message that it is true, reliable, and trustworthy enough for him to believe and accept? The Word is powerful. It is living. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation. The Holy Spirit uses His Word to convict sinners. But ultimately it is the sinner that must make that choice and choose or have faith whether or not to believe.
    These are all irrelevant.
    That is not what the verse is teaching.
    The above verses are directed to believers and have nothing to do with salvation.

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk

I just posted that. And Jesus says a man must be of God to hear the words of God Jn 8:47

He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Do you understand what Jesus is saying here ? What does it mean to of God ? Because Jesus gave that condition to Hear !

4. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I already proved you wrong. I knew you could not answer. You said God caused those who believe to believe. You need to explain then why some believe for a short time then stop believing. Explain your teachings or stop spreading falseness.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you go to church?
    Do you invite people to church?
    Do you invite unsaved people to church?
    If so, why would you invite an unsaved person to church, if he cannot hear God's Word. Seems like a wasted exercise to me. :rolleyes:

6. Moriah

Moriah New Member

What scripture says, “Because Jesus gave that condition to Hear”?

What you say here is an example to all readers about adding to God's word.

7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

It is impossible to please God without faith. We must believe that he rewards those who look for him. Faith comes from hearing the word, from learning about Jesus, from being convinced, and persuaded. They who wrote down the gospel, they did so by the command of God that we may believe and obey, to have our eyes opened. Everything in the past was written to teach us, to give us hope. We have access to grace by faith. Through this faith, we have been justified, and God credits us with righteousness. We hold on to our courage and the hope, we stand firm and hold fast to the teachings. We believe without wavering, and God strengthens us in our faith. The good works of believers produce faith in others. Believers teach faith to their children, and to their children. We all engaged in impurity, but we did not come to know Christ while we were indulging in impurity, but rather while we heard of him and learned. We have hope of eternal life, we hope for the redemption of our bodies, for in this hope we turn to God and are saved. We draw near to God because of a better hope given us. Faith is confidence in what we hope for; faith is assurance about what we do not see

8. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk

There you go evasion again !

9. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Where does our faith come from? Our faith comes from HEARING the word, see Romans 10:14. From hearing the word and being TAUGHT, Colossians 1:5, 7. From continuing in what we have been CONVINCED of, see 2 Timothy 3:14, and being PERSUADED, 2 Corinthians 5:11.
    In Acts 26:17 Jesus tells Paul he is sending him to the Jews and Gentiles to OPEN THEIR EYES and turn them from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God. How do you think Paul is going to open the eyes of the Jews and the Gentiles? Remember, faith comes from hearing the word, and Jesus sent Paul to preach the gospel. 1 Corinthians 1:18 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel–not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Read what Paul says in Romans 16:25-27. Now to him who is able to ESTABLISH YOU BY MY GOSPEL AND THE PROCLAMATION OF JESUS CHRIST, according to the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, but now revealed and MADE KNOWN THROUGH THE PROPHETIC WRITINGS by the command of the eternal God, SO THAT ALL NATIONS MIGHT BELIEVE AND OBEY HIM–to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.

Paul says that God made the prophetic writings known so that all nations might believe and obey. So again, the word of God tells us that faith comes from hearing.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    SBM...is correct...it is you that error with this,and it is not the first time...

You have many strange ideas DHK.
    here is another one:
    DHK...we have been over this...all men are born unsaved. Salvation comes from God.God saves sinners. The Spirit brings them from darkness to light. Without new birth they cannot believe, repent, have or exercise faith......yet you threaten to censor SBM..who is posting truth very consistently. You might not agree or like it...but many of us here see it exactly that way....and see your posts as lacking.
    What i highlighted in your post contradicts Jn 1:12-13...very clearly....not of the will of man, not of the flesh....but of God.

#50 Iconoclast, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  11. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Through faith, we have been justified, and we are credited with righteousness for believing. If we are not the ones who believed on our own, then why are we credited with righteousness for it?

Romans 4:20-24 Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. This is why "it was credited to him as righteousness." The words "it was credited to him" were written not for him alone, but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness---for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead.

#51 Moriah, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No evasion.
    Tell me. If you believe that the unbeliever cannot hear the word of God then why invite an unbeliever to church?
    No evasion by me. But you failed to answer the question. In fact you fail to answer almost every question I ask you.

13. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Nowhere in the scriptures does it say God causes us to believe. Here is a scripture that tells us how we get faith---from their work, their work of preaching the gospel. Again, faith comes from hearing.
    See 1 Thessalonians 1:3, We continually remember before our God and Father YOUR WORK PRODUCED FAITH, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

14. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Believers TEACH FAITH to their children and this passes down to the children of their children. 2 Timothy 1:5 I have been reminded of your sincere faith which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.

Deuteronomy 6:1 These are the commands, decrees and laws the LORD your God directed me to TEACH you…

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't appreciate your false allegation.
    Where I have threatened to censor SBG for posting his beliefs. You are confused.

One cannot be born again without believing. Sorry you don't believe that.
    I challenge this belief (that God gives faith to the unbeliever) but no one can show me any evidence that it is Scriptural, so you don't have to talk to me so condescendingly. If you want to enter this debate and have something worthwhile to contribute so be it. If not stay out.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I believe that is talking more about "the faith" as in the Word.

17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I do not know what you mean. I am showing that faith comes to our children when they hear us teach them the truth. Would you mind explaining more what you disagree with?

18. Moriah

Moriah New Member

NOWHERE in the Bible does it say we cannot believe on our own after learning of Jesus. You believe in John Calvin's ugly words. Now read these scriptures to see what Jesus says about what caused these people to believe.

JESUS SAID Nathanael BELIEVED because Jesus told him he saw him under the fig tree. JESUS said that was WHY NATHANAEL BELIEVED. See John 1:50.

This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed at Cana in Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him. See John 2:11

After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the Scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken. See John 2:22.

Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name. John 2:23.

Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me everything I ever did.” John 4:39.

And because of his words many more became believers. John 4:41.

They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.John 4:42.

“Unless you people see miraculous signs and wonders,” Jesus told him, “you will never believe.John 4:48.

Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, “Your son will live.” So he and all his household believed. John 4:53.

Still, many in the crowd put their faith in him. They said, “When the Christ comes, will he do more miraculous signs than this man?John 7:31.

Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. John 10:37.

But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.” John 10:38.

and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.” John 11:15.

I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.John 11:42.

Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.John 16:30.

So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
    But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it.” John 20:25.

Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.John 20:27.

But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. John 20:31.

19. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Icon, you are confused; do not post here often, and have not been following what has been going on.

I will give you the same warning, though I doubt you will need it.
    This is a debate forum. It is for debate, interaction with others. Don't expect to come here and fill page after page, post after post with no interaction from others. The board is not set up for you to write your own personal book. Icon if you start doing that here I will not only shut down your threads, but I will start deleting your posts.
    Does that make sense to you. We are not here to provide a publishing service for you.

There was nothing of substance that I censored of SBM. It was of the nature of the above paragraph. I treat everyone equally. When people start thread after thread, post after post without any debate, then it has to be shut down. That is not the purpose here.

Your lack of attention, arrogance, and condescension toward me is totally out of line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.