1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith, Mercy, Regeneration/Grace Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by percho, May 8, 2012.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As on a merry go round, round and round and round we go. Would anyone care to look from a different angle?

YLT Matt 1:20 And on his thinking of these things, lo, a messenger of the Lord in a dream appeared to him, saying, `Joseph, son of David, thou mayest not fear to receive Mary thy wife, for that which in her was begotten [is] of the Holy Spirit,

At the time the angel spoke this to Joseph was Jesus Christ being generated in Mary his mother and was this the work of God the Father through God the Holy Spirit? In other words was it the Spirit Holy from God that was the life source in the egg of the virgin Mary?

Is this to the knowledge of all, the only named or unnamed person to ever come into this world in this manner?

Four questions.

More questions from a different angle of approach.

YLT Luke 23:46 {with comment from John 19:30 added in} and having cried with a loud voice, Jesus said, {it is finished} `Father, to Thy hands I commit my spirit;' and these things having said, he breathed forth the spirit.

Jesus was dead.

Is this the same Spirit of Life that fertilized the egg within the virgin Mary that divided and divided and grew until she brought forth the man child Jesus? His Spirit returned to God and Jesus died.

How long was Jesus dead?

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Why did Jesus have to go away before the Comforter could come to them? That is they could receive the Spirit.
    What all had to take place before the Comforter could be given to them?

Four more questions.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, scripture says the conception was "of" the Holy Spirit. It doesn't say the child growing inside Mary "was' the Holy Spirit. So, my answer to your question is no..., the Holy Spirit was not the life source in the egg of Mary.... though Holy Spirit brought about the conception. Exactly how that happened... I don't think scripture is specific enough to say.
    I can't think of any other.
    I would have to say no, again. Does Jesus have a human spirit? Yes. I believe Jesus is human in every way that we are human. Does Jesus also have a divine spirit? If yes, is that divine spirit one and the same as Holy Spirit? That is a tougher question to answer....I'll have to think on it.
    The human body of Jesus was dead for 3 days, according to scripture.
    No more complicated than it pleased God to have His plan accomplished in that way. Jesus returned to the Father, and Holy Spirit become the indwelling presence of God among His children.
    Christ's final cup.... the cross.

peace to you:praying:

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Holy spirit overshadowed mary, andthe Son of God was placed within her womb, a baby with both God/Human natures!

He was fully God and man, so His divine nature was God, but NOT the Holy spirit, as they stayed 2 distinct beings!

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Tri-unity of the Godhead is difficult to express into words. I do not believe they are disctinct "beings", as you said. Distinct persons...yes...one being...God.

peace to you:praying:

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Literally from Luke 1:31 the one being generated out of you Holy shall be, being called Son of God. Matt. 1:20 Joseph son of David, no you may be, being afraid to be accepting Mary the woman of you the for in her being generated out of Spirit is Holy

Both from Scripture4all.org Greek interlinear NT

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
    Was it not this spirit of breath of life from God that made the man formed from the dust of the ground a living soul, that is person?
    Ecc 12:5-7 because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets: Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern. Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. Isn't the spirit there that which had given life to that which returned to the earth?

That is the spirit of man that is in him, that which gives him life as long as it remains with him. Jesus would have had to have had this spirit, yet being he was conceived by Spirit the God would he not also have been born and led by God the Holy Spirit. And when he died his spirit and the Spirit which had led him would have been commended unto the hands of his Father. Jesus would be dead having died for the sin of the world.

I assume you are going to give me the scriptures that say his body was dead for three days? Find for me in the Greek a verse that has body died in it. I know the KJV translators did not find one.

Well he have Him, well at least his body, dead in the grave. Anything else have to take place before the Comforter could come?

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Was he placed in her womb or in the ovum of the virgin Mary?

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The Incarnation was accomplished by conception in Mary's womb just as Scripture states:

Matthew 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Luke 2:21 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

There are also some who wrongly teach that a completely new human nature was created for Jesus Christ [page 134f, The Modern Creation Trilogy, Volume 1, by Henry and John Morris]. If this were true He would not be the seed of Abraham, David, or the woman, Mary and is, therefore, directly contrary to Scripture.