1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Faith plus right beliefs

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Michael Wrenn, Jun 9, 2012.

?
  1. Those who hold to faith alone in Jesus

45.5%
  2. Those who hold to faith in Jesus plus works

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Those who hold to faith in Jesus plus right beliefs

18.2%
  4. Baptists only who believe as I do

9.1%
  5. Anyone who has faith in Jesus -- Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, etc.

36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have mentioned 3 religions, and that is all, just 3. One is a cult, the other is not a Christian religion, and the other is apostate. Now in the realm of our Protestant Christian umbrella, there are over 33,000 denominations. But you have mentioned 3, and have arrogantly based your assumptions on just 3 denominations and then falsely assumed that the Baptists make up all the rest of Christianity, or so it seems.

Please reread your own thread.

Salvation is by faith alone. It is by faith in Christ and his shed blood. If anyone thinks that they can get to heaven through their works they are deceived into believing a false gospel, and will not be saved. They, in so doing, deny the work of Christ on the cross.

Now I can mention to you many of the denominations that preach the gospel. I never said only Baptists do. But instead I will give you a link and you can "possibly" figure it out for yourself.

http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/a106.htm

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Moriah, the only thing that I can conclude from your post is that you are confessing to me that you are not saved. If I am wrong in my conclusion then you will have to tell me what this post means.

3. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Your denomination has indoctrinated you. You should have read the Bible and checked on what others taught you.

4. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You have a hard time understanding. I know Jesus saved me. You said a person would want to fellowship with other believers if he or she is saved; however, you do not show any desire to fellowship with me except to tell me you do not think I am saved. You have disqualified yourself by yourself.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. I don't belong to a denomination.
    2. I draw my conclusions from my study of the Bible.
    3. You are so confused you don't know whether you are coming or going.
    You need to do some Biblical research. It would do you some good.

6. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

The archbishop has a skewed view of what Salvation is.

7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

It is a denomination, whether they want to admit it or not.
    So, you are pretending to be IFB?
    You are the confused one. I know where I am and where I am going.

#47 Moriah, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
  8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I voted Faith in Jesus Plus right beliefs, BECAUSE one CANNOT have faith in a Jesus he or she does not have some basic right beliefs about. I can get a 3 year old to affirm "faith in Jesus" when he has no idea who Jesus is or what faith is. So Faith in Jesus, plus some basic right beliefs on which to base that faith...one can have a host of other theological errors and still be saved, but if the basic beliefs about Who Jesus is and what he did are missing, then the phrase "faith in jesus" means nothing different than "faith in steve".

If "Faith in Jesus" is properly and biblically defined, that is all that is necessary. I believe there are some religions, even some that claim the name christian, that obscure the Gospel message such that they are actually teaching people that they are saved by faith in Jesus AND something else (baptism, communion once a week). The question then becomes:

"Is someone saved if their faith is NOT in Jesus alone, but in something else as well?" Is this not an insult to Jesus, saying that his death and resurection were not enough?

Finally, consider Romans 10:1-3, in which Paul prays for the salvation of his fellow jews, who "have a zeal for God but not according to knowledge." PAUL SAYS YOU CAN HAVE A ZEAL FOR GOD...AND NOT BE SAVED!!! How can this be: (v.3) they were seeking to establish their own righteousness, rather than accept the free gift of God's righteousness. Their zeal for God was not grounded in the true knowledge that true righteousness cannot be attained through effort, it must be granted by the only one who has lived a truly righteous life...

So yes...Right beliefs matter, or faith is in nothing.

#48 12strings, Jun 11, 2012
  9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Oh, oh, do tell! Most know that already, as I have talked about it and posted my website link here several times. So, you are late to the table.

Here is a Baptist group that has bishops: http://fullgospelbaptist.org/ The CAC is also basically a Baptist/Anabaptist communion with strong Celtic influence; we allow dual affiliation with other communions.

Want to know my local church affiliation? Keep searching and reading. There's a lot there.

I know you'd like to use your "discovery" against me, but it won't work. I've been open about everything on this forum, including my real name and where I live. Have you? I just bet the name on your birth certificate is "Steadfast Fred".

#49 Michael Wrenn, Jun 11, 2012
  10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Yes, a secondary source, as John Wesley taught and the Anglicans taught. or do you turn off your mind when reading scripture? On second thought, I'd say you do.

Ann, since you have such contempt for me, why do you even bother responding? All you can do is misrepresent my words and beliefs.

#50 Michael Wrenn, Jun 11, 2012
  11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

What a bald-faced lie! I defy you to back that up!

It is not I on this forum who tries to limit salvation to those who believe as I do. That is your modus operandi, and others of your ilk.

Why don't you stop slandering me; are you suffering from low self-esteem and think it will make you more of a man?

#51 Michael Wrenn, Jun 11, 2012
  12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Better reread your responses. I mentioned the ones you mentioned, and it was you who added the "host of other religions". The Church of Christ I believe to be wrong about baptism, but they are not a cult. The Episcopal Church in the USA has gone to the dark side, but it is only a tiny fraction of worldwide Anglicanism; orthodox Anglicanism is growing strongly in Africa, for instance. I don't agree with Anglican sacramental views of baptism, but orthodox Anglicans are just as saved as you are. So are Church of Christ members. They are saved when they believe in Jesus.

It was you who implied that people who don't have a right view of baptism, among other things, are not saved. You can't wiggle off the hook.

If I were you, I would not post anything claiming there are 33,000 denominations; that is a gross mischaracterization of the true situation. You are playing right into Romanist hands there.

I'll make it easy for you. There are actually only eight denominational "families" other than Baptists; please tell which ones you think people can be members of and be saved (other than Baptist):

(1) Lutherans
    (2) Reformed
    (3) Wesleyan-Methodist
    (4) Christian Churches/Churches of Christ
    (5) Pentecostals
    (6) Roman Catholic
    (7) Eastern Orthodox
    (8) Anabaptist

#52 Michael Wrenn, Jun 11, 2012
  13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

You have a skewed view of what the truth is.

I know what salvation is, especially since I am in possession of same, by the grace and mercy of God.

14. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

So, you just said that you don't believe in the Protestant clarion call of "faith alone".

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I must say that I have rarely read such dishonesty, misrepresentation, and attempted slander as I've seen in this thread. But I am not surprised.

#55 Michael Wrenn, Jun 11, 2012
  16. 12strings

12strings Active Member

"faith alone" is merely a phrase that like any phrase must be defined. If it is defined biblically, there is nothing wrong with it. If it is undefined, it simply means "I believe, but I don't know or care what I actually believe in."

I'm not too concerned about "Clarion calls".

If I believe God is a green, 3-headed giraffe who drops candy bars on me when I pray my hail-mary...That "faith" is not going to do many ANY good when it comes to remedying my sin problem that separates me from the true God.

Faith must be defined at least on a basic level, or it is just a meaningless word. Even "faith in Jesus" must be defined. "I have faith that Jesus came to show me how to live a good life, so I live a really good life and my good deeds outweigh my bad deeds, I'll go to heaven" That statement includes faith in Jesus, but reveals that the person's faith is really in themselves.

17. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The point is, do you believe in the Reformation principle of faith alone or not? I know that you know what that means.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I know. I thought about a poll a while after I started the thread and decided the topic needed expanding for the poll.

19. 12strings

12strings Active Member

FROM WIKIPEDIA:
    Sola fide is the teaching that justification (interpreted in Protestant theology as "being declared just by God") is received by faith only, without any mixture of or need for good works, though in classical Protestant theology, saving faith is always evidenced, but not determined, by good works.

-I agree with this.

"It is not faith that saves, but faith in Jesus Christ.... It is not, strictly speaking, even faith in Christ that saves, but Christ that saves through faith. The saving power resides exclusively, not in the act of faith or the attitude of faith or in the nature of faith, but in the object of faith."
    - B. B. Warfield

-I also agree with this.

-"Faith Alone", even in the begining of the Reformation, was coupled with "grace alone" & "Christ Alone" ...so even then it was not strictly "Faith ALONE, no need to say any more or even explain what that means..." I was instead: "Faith alone in Christ Alone who saves by his Grace alone, and if you don't understand at least the basics of who Christ is and what he did on the cross, your faith is misplaced."

20. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You may realize it but do you understand what we actually believe when you summarize it in that fashion?

Justified by grace alone
    through faith alone
    In Christ alone

Denies four false doctrines and implies necesssary understanding of four basic truths!

1. Justification does not equal "salvation" nor "sanctification" nor "glorification" and thus demands a forensic/legal imputation.

2. By grace alone means "without works" produced in, through or by man

3. Faith alone denies sacramentalism as the modus operandi for justification

4. In Christ alone - defines the proper object of faith thus denying either a vain or dead intellectual faith

Is this what you mean when you accuse us of claiming to be "saved by faith alone" or have you stripped that from these words?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.