1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-related colleges not inferior

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by informer, Jun 21, 2001.

1. informer

informer Guest

LEXINGTON, Ky. (BP)--"The time has come to rethink the premise that the best education is secular and that religiously based education is automatically inferior," George Marsden said in an address during the Association of Southern Baptist Colleges and Schools' June 3-5 annual meeting in Lexington, Ky.

Marsden, professor of philosophy at Notre Dame University and one of two H.I. Hester lecturers for the ASBCS meeting of 200-plus educators, said, "Religious colleges, instead of feeling that they are under pressure to become more like their secular counterparts, should take pride in the religious character of their education, attempting to strengthen it rather than weaken it.

"In our places of worship, [Americans] say their religion is not just for one day a week, but for all that we do," Marsden said. "Yet in most of their education, Americans send the message that when it comes to the really important things in life -- what one should think about other people, society, politics, economics, careers, the environment, ourselves, our moral values, our nature and destiny -- ... Americans teach their young people to think about them as though God did not exist."

Read entire article: http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=11165

2. Natan'el Bar Tholmai

There ARE some truly inferior faith-based colleges and seminaries. They are a sham and a reproach on the rest of us who are dilligently trying to hold the highest standards. The same is true with Christian elementary and high schools.

What is SAD is the "WAGAPS" mentality. We're As Good As Public Schools has led some ifb schools to stress academics as the "measure" and not the spiritual quality and character that must accompany it.

Of course, the answer is BALANCE. I know of some good schools with character and spirit, but a shoddy academic program. I am not looking forward to have those students in class! Nor am I anxious to have the "scholarly" graduates who have no love for the Lord and desire to live for Him.