1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fall into THE GAP

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Glory2God, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I believe that God is a God of order, I dont see any reason that he would have created fossils, or given the earth apparent age without a good reason. When I look at Jesus' miracles and the miracles of the old testament, there is a reason behind the miracle. Since God is eternal - why would he care if he created the earth in a literal seven human days - or in eons.

Do I think God could have created the earth in seven human days - YES, do I think he did - NO. Does it matter, in my opinion no. If when I get to heaven, and I find out that I am either right or wrong will I praise God any more or less - no way! Arguments like this (fun to read and participate in) will pass away as non events.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matter of fact, all arguments will come to pass away as non-events in Jesus' presence. Those who are supposed to be there will be there, and those who are not supposed to be there will not be there, and I believe Jesus Himself will open up the Scriptures and give His interpretation of it, and that's what'll settle the matter.

But, for the moment, here on earth, in this plane called time, doctrine still separates truth from lie.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God caused the fossils to remain for a reason...and I believe that reason is to show us the earth isn't so new.

He's enabled us to discover the speed of light and to roughly measure the distances to some of the stars for the same reason. And now He's enabling us to discover the number of GALAXIES-not just individual stars-is virtually uncountable.

And he told moses that Noah took at least one pair of EVERY CREATURE ON EARTH aboard the ark. yes, some, such as the dodo and passenger pigeon have become extinct, but He has gone on creating new species since that time. Quite recently, a new species of bird was discovered in South America, a bird so visible that had it existed previously, the natives of the land who'd been there for many generations & who knew the life forms of their land intimately, would've noticed it.

The dinosaur fossils are far too old to have been left from critters aboard the ark. I believe they were already extinct before the flood, and that God ARRANGED the earth He'd already made, setting the boundaries of the seas and continents & creating the present life forms.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did GOD really hafta rest?

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did He then give us an account of a six day creation for? Why did He give us geneologies in both testaments that date the world in thousands, not billions, of years?

BTW, the fossils don't "show us" anything. They are interpretted to mean one thing or another by people operating from biased presuppositions- anywhere from biblical creationism to atheistic evolution.

Creationists explain the fossil record. Do they run into snags and have to reconsider? Sure. But so do evolutionists.

I have read that there are only about 25 known places around the world where the supposed geologic column exists in the right order with all layers present. While the geologic column as theorized would be about 200 miles deep, none of these places are more than 20 miles deep.

This neither proves nor disproves geology operating from evolutionary presuppositions for time. What it does prove is that the idea is built more on conjecture and generalizations than actual observation and consistency.

This has no direct relationship to biological life or creation... which I think is part of the point of this thread. It is possible that billions of years did transpire before "Day 1" which would have been the beginning of God's creating life on earth.

But in the interest of fairness, there are operating scientific theories about light and star distance that intend to disprove an old universe. One that I read recently supposes that in the history of the universe there were gravitational fields that after initial creation began to shrink but had an effect on the appearance of light on earth now. Einstein believed that gravity effected the travel of light and we know of high gravity entities in space now such as Black Holes that won't even allow light to escape.

Nope. He said "sort" and "kind". Speciation does occur. However, there is no reason to believe that it occurs for any reason other than the adaptability God gave the original "kinds" that they subsequently passed down to their progeny.

Actually if I understand it right, Scientists are baffled as to why some dinosaur bones have DNA that should have been gone. Also, some have dormant bacteria that is very unlikely to have survived for 10's of millions of years.

Further, evolutionists mostly rely on indirect methods of dating such as the geologic column or chemical dating. Neither of these methods is definitive or proven for the ages that are supposedly being measured. Starting assumptions must be made that dictate the outcome. I am not looking for a debate on whether the assumptions are valid or not- just acknowledgment that they are made.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, Just a thought...

d=rt, Distance = rate X time...

God is timeless, actually infinite. His presence is also infinite... He is just as much one place as another.

Therefore, r(rate/speed) = infinity/infinity = 1! or else infinity. Its the same with God.

We all seem to be arguing as if God is such a one as ourselves... Our clocks and perspectives of time don't govern Him. How is it reasonable from a perspective that respects the biblical God to even assume that time existed before He declared the first day? Was our time a limitation over the rate at which God could have spoken all that is into existence?

7. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

Thanks Scott, :D
    Robycop probably dosen't even believe what he posts, he just likes to rail on me. He'll probably go on to tell us how many different ways the Hebrew word "yom" [​IMG] can be mis-interpreted.
    God bless you Scott and thanks for your support.
    Your bro. in Christ,
    Dave [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

Scott, [​IMG]
    You seem to enjoy true science, here's a link that explains how God may have stretched out the heavens. Scientificaly sound, it explains how stalight from billions of lightyears away could have reached Earth in less than 24 hours on day 4/5 of creation. Will have "opinion onlyists" stomping their feet. Here's the link: [​IMG]

Starlite And Time

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

Scott, [​IMG]
    Actually you were correct. Toward the end of the article he gives support for what was originally posted: :D

Bacteria. Even living bacterial spores have been recovered, cultured, and identified in intestines of bees preserved in supposedly 25–40-million-year-old amber.k The same bacteria, Bacillus, are found alive in rocks allegedly 250 million and 650 million years old.l Italian scientists have recovered 78 different types of dormant, but living, bacteria in two meteorites that are presumed to be 4.5 billion years old.m If one accepts these old ages for rocks, then they must also accept that some bacteria are practically immortal—an obviously absurd conclusion. (Because these “old” bacteria and the various DNA specimens closely match those of today, little evolution has occurred.) [​IMG]
    Proteins. Evolutionists face a similar contradiction with proteins preserved in dinosaur bones. As with DNA, no proteins should last 75–150 million years, as is claimed for those bones.n All this should call into question these old ages. [​IMG]

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the original post, I had insenuated that the bacteria was found with dinosaur bones. Instead it was in the intestines of fossilized bees.

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Interesting point, Glory2God. I have heard that the tests for bacteria in metereorites has been almost proven to be faulty due to lab techniques. Also, the nodules in the Mars metereorites found in the south have pretty much been ruled out as living creatures and are now thought to be caused by heat --- from possibly volcanic activity when the rock was formed.

Scott and I have been debating this in other threads, but the reason science points to an old earth is simply because science requires a beginning without a "creator". When you eliminate a creator, the only other alternative is evolution and for evolution to even be considered it takes billions of years; so the conclusions are faulty to start with, therefore many of the observations are made to FIT those conclusions.

I used to be Old Earth (gap theory), but after careful consideration to both science and the Bible, and realizing that death did not appear to begin until after sin, that Old Earth is not compatible with the Word of God. Too often the Bible says God created the Earth in six days. This point is made clear in other books, not just Genesis. Why make that a point if it were not true?

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We actually agree and have debating others. ;) [​IMG]

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Phillip,

The universe and the earth's foundation can be old, while earth's biosphere and life on earth can be very recent.

Take a look at how many times the Bible uses the phrase "earth's foundation." Is there a distinction between the creation of the earth's foundation along with the universe and that of a recent seven day formation of the earth's biosphere? I think that there is. Old universe, young earth's biosphere. It fits with Scripture and True Science.