1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fallen Preachers

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Apr 7, 2004.

1. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

I agree, have not studied the word recently so am open to correction, but I think the word "blameless" has the idea of "not being able to point the finger at." Once adultery has been committed I don't think that man is ever "blameless" again. Does that mean he cannot be used by God? No. IMHO though I don't think he is qualified to pastor. </font>[/QUOTE]Now who then praytell is qualified. Did not Jesus say that if you had looked upon a woman you had committed adultery. Is there any sinless pastors? NO, are there any sinless people? YES, but only one and hey they killed Him and even celebrate they day that it happened.Get real people. There is none righteous no not one but with Christ we are made righteous and yes He does use those who are less than perfect.
    Murph
    Murph

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Jeffrey, exactly what is overweight according to scripture? As far as I know the Lord has not given us a standard. However if the congregation feels that a man is overweight then they need to decide if he is a good witness. If not then he should not be a pastor in that church. By the way you might want to look up the word for gluttony and see how it was used. It may surprise you a little since it has nothing to do with being what some call overweight.

I assume that you were speaking of your pastor. If that be the case it is your responsibility now to go to him in private and lovingly confront him with what you feel is a problem. I suggest that you offer to help him in any way to overcome what you see as a problem even to paying for treatment or programs that might help him lose weight and control his eating. That would be the loving thing to do.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being fat is not a sin. Being gluttonous and lazy are sins.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not the same thing in regards to being blameless. Looking upon a woman lustfully doesn't make her guilty and shouldn't result in marital problems for her... unless she is purposefully enticing the looks.

"Blameless" is about outward reputation, not sinlessness. Jesus was talking about internal sinfulness.
    That isn't the point of the pastoral qualifications. Pastors have a higher biblical standard that they must qualify under.

5. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I have my own thoughts on these subjects and will share them a little later.
    Right now I have another question for you which is more common.
    What if an unsaved man is divorced then saved and remarries, is he qualified for ordination? Can he pastor a church?If not what functions in the ministry could he perform?

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

He could perform any role other than pastor or deacon.

7. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

8. atestring

atestring New Member

The only sin that cannot be forgiven by God is that of Blaspheming the Holy Spirit.
    God forgives all other sin. When A pastor falls into adultery if He ask God for forgiveness and repents from this sin He will have no problems from God about his sin. However he will have problems with man. Man can forgive but trust has to be regained and this could be a slow process.

9. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

No I wasn't.

10. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

It's not in the Bible, but I'm sure you already know that.

11. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

From what I see here the only unforgivable sin is being divorced when it comes to ordination and pastoring a church.

I have mixed feelings Wesley,A.T Robertson,& Gill think the reference to one wife refers to polygamy.I am sure there must be others who support thier thoughts. Of course many others disagree with them.
    I do know it would be nice to have difinative translations of Timothy and Titus in a cultural and textual context.

We can see that the Pastor of a Local New testament Church must be blameless, above reproach,and that he should be first and foremost the pastor of his family.He should be a man not given to contention,rule his finances well, and given to hospitality,and be a good teacher.We also expect him to be a family,marriage,individual, and financial counselor.We expect the Pastor to visit the sick (physically and spiritually).We expect the Pastor to be the chief discipler and soul winner in the church.Then of course we are more than willing to do our part,"we know the Lord will keep em humble and we will do our part by keeping em poor".