1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Falling away???

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Eladar, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Eladar

Eladar New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Temple:

You have been answered several times over in this thread" http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=35&t=000039&p=1

So in other words, you have rec'd biblical and cogent answers, yet you want to adjust scripture to fit your understanding of it. You're not interested in learning, but in being right.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Is this the Pot calling the Kettle black or what?

I am not the one adjusting scripture here. I am stating exactly what Jesus stated.

I'll say it again:

These people believe.

Jesus didn't say they believed the wrong things, they actually believed. They believed the word of God. The seed does grow!

These people 'fall away'.

Jesus states that these people 'fall away'.

I ask again, how can one fall away, if one never was apart to begin with?

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Tuor,
    The ways in which you twist Scripture and ignore plain speech continue to amaze me. You are ignoring the meanings of the Greek word for "fall away." I'm chasing my tail trying to reason from the Scriptures with you here, so I won't repeat myself.

Under your presumption, you have decided beforehand that these are folks who have believed the gospel. Yet the text makes no such claim. The NT word used for believe can also mean "to acknowledge." For instance, I acknowledge that there is a religion called Islam, yet I don't trust in it because I am Christian. The word 'believe' does not always mean 'believe for salvation" as you seem to assert. James 2:19 describes people who believe: demons! According to your "logic", the demons are saved since they believe. This is not the case at all.
    I hope you see how you are distorting Biblical teaching and come to your senses. It's ironic that we're talking about seed planted on rocky ground which doesn't take root :eek:

3. Eladar

Eladar New Member

""The sower went out to sow his seed; and as he sowed, some fell beside the road, and it was trampled under foot and the birds of the air ate it up.
    ""Other seed fell on rocky soil, and as soon as it grew up, it withered away, because it had no moisture.
    ""Other seed fell among the thorns; and the thorns grew up with it and choked it out.
    ""Other seed fell into the good soil, and grew up, and produced a crop a hundred times as great.'' As He said these things, He would call out, "" He who has ears to hear, let him hear.''

You will notice that the only case when there is no growth, is when the birds eat seeds on the path.

In all the other cases, the word of God grows in the heart of the individual. How can the word of God grow in an individual's heart, if the individual doesn't believe the word of God?

If you go back and read the parable, you must ackowledge that the word of God grows in the rocky soiled heart and the weed infested heart.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> If you go back and read the parable, you must ackowledge that the word of God grows in the rocky soiled heart and the weed infested heart.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But is this salvific? That's the key question. You assume yes, and you cannot allow your assumptions and preconceived notions to dictate what the Word teaches. The Bible refers to the Word of God spreading throughout entire regions (Cf Acts). Does that mean the land was saved? Does that mean everyone was saved who lived in that area? No and no. Reading meaning into Scripture rather than getting meaning from Scripture is called eisegesis, not exegesis. And it's plain wrong.

5. Eladar

Eladar New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The Bible refers to the Word of God spreading throughout entire regions (Cf Acts). Does that mean the land was saved? Does that mean everyone was saved who lived in that area? No and no. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It would be an assumption to say that everyone would believe. It would be an assumption to say that once someone believed, they'd be saved.

What I believe it means is that people throughout the region heard about the Gospel. This would not mean every person in every region, only at the least some people in every region.

To answer your question, both answers would definitely be no according to what Jesus said about the seed.

6. tnelson

tnelson New Member

Tuor

If I may, I suggest that you look at Matt. 13:1-23. Here we see why the seed on the stony ground fell away. He has no root in himself; ( Some people make an emotional, superficial commitment to salvation in Christ, but it is not real. They remain interested only until there is a sacrificial price to pay, and then abondon Christ. MacArthur)

7. Eladar

Eladar New Member

tnelson,

The fact still remains that they were apart of the church for a time. Until tested, one can't know a rocky soiled heart from a good soil heart. This is my whole point. Only time will tell what kind of heart a person has.

In the US, there hasn't been any serious persecution of Christians. How many people sitting in the pews would 'fall away' if all of a sudden being a Christian would merit the death sentence? How many 'once saved people' people's seed have a root structure that is willing to die for God?

This is really an impossible question to answer until the time comes. We can say we hope that we would die for Christ, we might believe we would die for Christ, but until it actually happens, we really don't know.

In any case, I think you'd agree with me that many who consider themselves saved without persecution, would 'fall away' if persectution arose.

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: Tuor ]

8. tnelson

tnelson New Member

The fact still remains that they were apart of the church for a time.
    --------------------------------------------

This parable is tell us the type of soils the seed falls upon. The wayside, stony places and thorns are three soils with no fruit, no salvation. Also there are three kinds of good soil with fruit. Some produce 100, 60, and 30 folds. Not all believers are equally fruitful, but all are fruitful (cf.Matt.7:16; John 15:8)
    You are right we may not know until they are tested. But God knows those that are His and they will bear fruit and there will be some type of persecution to come their way. I know that to be a fact. But I count it all JOY. Think about this, the Bible teaches that immediately at salvation we are placed by the Holy Spirit into one united spiritual body, the church, the bride of Christ of which Christ is the head. To say one has fell-away is to say Christ lost part of the body. John 5:24 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgement, but has passed from death into life. John 10:28-29 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and not one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand. So if you are part of the living body of Christ you will not fall-away from Him. We will stumble and fall down but never away. My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus Blood and Righteousness.

Prase His Holy Name

9. Eladar

Eladar New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>the Bible teaches that immediately at salvation we are placed by the Holy Spirit into one united spiritual body, the church, the bride of Christ of which Christ is the head. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Where in the Bible does it say that we definitely have salvation while we are still alive and kicking?

Please let's take your refrences one at a time.

10. Kellisa

Kellisa New Member

Where in the Bible does it say that we definitely have salvation while we are still alive and kicking?

It says this throught the New Testament. God's whole pupose of sending his Son Jesus was so that we could have this hope. 1 Peter 1:3,5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begtten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Chrit from the dead. To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."

This goes right along with John 10:28,29
    "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand."

We have this hope right now, right here on this earth if we are his child, if we are washed in the blood of the Lamb. These are God's promises to us. Eternal life, that no man can take away from us. He gives us the promises so we can be strong in him and trust to know that he will not allow us to be overcome by the wicked one but will redeem us no matter how hard the burden or temptation.

11. Eladar

Eladar New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1 Peter
    6In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials,
    so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
    and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
    obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is only after passing the tests of life will we know if we are truely one of the elect. The proof is by trial, not by self-determination.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> 25
    Jesus answered them, "" I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me.
    ""But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep.
    ""My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
    and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.
    "" My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.
    "" I and the Father are one.''
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Here Jesus is talking about the elect. Once again I ask, where in the Bible does it say that we will know that we are apart of the elect before we die? Where in the Bible does it say that we can judge for ourselves while we are alive and kicking?

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

1 John 5:13 (ESV)
    I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

2 Peter 1:10 (ESV)
    Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Tuor writes <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Where in the Bible does it say that we definitely have salvation while we are still alive and kicking? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you serious? Have you never read Paul's testimony? Have you never read the introductions to the letters of the NT? A simple plain reading of the Word will answer your question here.

14. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Galatians 4:1-7 (ESV)
    I mean that the heir, as long as he is a child, is no different from a slave, though he is the owner of everything, [2] but he is under guardians and managers until the date set by his father. [3] In the same way we also, when we were children, were enslaved to the elementary principles of the world. [4] But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, [5] to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. [6] And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" [7] So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.

Notice here:

1. The believer is an heir of God. His inheritance is assured.
    2. The believer was redeemed by Christ.
    3. The believer receives the adopton into Christ.
    4. Notice Paul's words: "you are sons".
    5. God the Holy Spirit dwells within the hearts fo believers.
    6. The Holy Spirit cries out for us "Abba, Father!"
    7. the believer is no longer a slave to this world - he has been bought, redeemed by the atonement of Christ
    8. The believer is declared a son of God!

If that's not present salvation, I don't know what is!

1 John 4:13-17 (ESV)
    By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. [14] And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. [15] Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. [16] So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. [17] By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.

15. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Please don't post too much at once. My access is intermitant.

Tom,

2 Peter 1:10 states proves my point. How are we to know if we are actually apart of the elect?

for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.

That is a mighty big if.

If you will go back and see what John wrote about in 1 John, he is saying the exact same thing.

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: Tuor ]

16. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Chris,

Galatians is talking about the elect. Of course the elect have salvation, the elect have always had salvation. The salvation of the elect is eternal.

But once again I ask, where in the Bible does it say that we know for sure that we are apart of the elect that does indeed have eternal security? 2 Peter 1:10 says that we will know that we are on the road to salvation if we practice God's commands.

Notice in 1 John it says "Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God".

It does not say whoever has cofessed, as in the past, but refers to the present. The only time when we no longer have a present is in the grave. Until then we must stay the course. While we live, all we can do is be on the road to salvation, we are in a process of being saved. For the elect, the end result is assured. The elect will die confessing Jesus Christ as Lord.

Confessing Jesus Christ as Lord means more than just a verbal acknowledgement.

17. Kellisa

Kellisa New Member

In Ephesians 2 we are called fellowcitizens with the saints. How could he call us fellowcitizens with the saints if we do not have this promise in our present body. Why did Christ come in the flesh and die on the cross, so we as sinners in the flesh could know that we have eternal life. Later in Chapter 3 it says "In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him." Once again he writes this so we can be strong in our faith and know that we have eternal salvation through him.

18. Kellisa

Kellisa New Member

Tuor,

I am confused. Who do you believe are the elect?

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: Kellisa ]

19. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Kellisa,

The elect are those individuals that are going to heaven. The elect's seed is rooted in love.

God is outside time, therefore everything that is to happen for us, has already happened for God. As far as God is concerned, everyone's fate is sealed. All that is left is for everyone to play out their parts in God's great and holy plan.

The problem is that we don't have such knowledge. We must act on faith, knowing that if we stay the course, we will prove ourselves to be one of those God already knows will be in heaven.

Are we just puppets carrying out what God intended from the beginning, or are we some how given free will by which God's plan must come true? I don't know. It doesn't affect my life in the least.

All I know is that my purpose in life is to serve the Lord. As I mature, the meaning grows deeper and deeper.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Tuor,
    Your uncanny ability to muddle and befog is just unreal, absolutely unreal.