1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

False ministers,prophets,

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Jeremiahs day there were people who were not called to the ministry at all.

They took it upon themselves to claim they were some form of minister....untrained, uncalled persons....doing religious things apart from real God called persons...look at how Jeremiah described them.

21 I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.

22 But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.

23 Am I a God at hand, saith the Lord, and not a God afar off?

24 Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord.

25 I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed.

26 How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;

27 Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.

28 The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the Lord.
    That was a horrible thing...and we see Paul describing false religious persons who are not called of God yet they try and teach things they should not....

2 Timothy 2:14

Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.Titus 1:11

Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

11 Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

Have you ever been involved in a situation where there was an uncalled person, who had to be removed from their "position" because it was discovered they were not quite up to it.....even they they called themselves preacher, or reverend, or pastor, or missionary, or evangelist.....but were found to be defective?

How did this happen? Did the person claim any training, or just announce themselves in some form of ministry?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I served a church outside the Reservation we had a fella blow into town who claimed to be a pastor and was looking for a local church to pastor. He tried to push himself into one. He also claimed to be setting up a school for ministry. It was nearing the holidays and he began requesting the local chapter to use their building to hold a Christmas event where they bring the local Navajo's gifts and put on some program for them. They were to also bring clothes and other things some people might need.

This knucklehead then began going to the churches asking them to donate to his program in order to provide these gifts for their Christmas program. As he sat in my office I could sense this guy was not right. His attitude was very arrogant and he was very pushy.

After he left I did a public records search on him and discovered that he and his wife had claimed bankruptcy on some ministry in another state. He also had a restraining order filed against him by a young 19 year old woman in that same state. He also had about 9 court filings against him for debt issues.

Myself and three other pastors in the area confronted him but he just became aggressive. When he held his Christmas program at the chapter house he began trying to take up an offering from the very same needy people he said he was trying to help. He spent an hour and a half preaching the need to put seed money in his ministry so the Lord would bless those who gave.

Once he notice me and the other pastors in the area standing in the back of the chapter house he came back to us and got in our faces. We had not said a thing to him nor anyone else.

We notified the chapter president and the other churches in the area. At this point he had no where to go where anyone would listen to him or even have anything to do with him.

He was nothing more than a shyster out to take people's money. Using God to take people's money.

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    fulfilling this;

Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great word Icon. :thumbsup:

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One time I was in a church where a missionary couple began teaching things the.home church did not believe at all......they were called in.....and refused to comply ....so they were removed from the field and the church....

#5 Iconoclast, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The pastor I came up under had a questionair with how a missionary aligned with our churches beliefs and they had to align with a majority of them while being in full agreement with the basic foundational doctrines

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church history is full of stories where someone in ministry has behaved badly. Youth pastors who seduced high schoolers. A "reverend" who teaches Christ didn't really rise from the dead.

We had a very sad case where someone who had hit bottom (drug use, jail) thought he was called to ministry. He took correspondence courses and got an AA degree. But, in the opinion of more than a few leaders of our church, he was still relying on his abilities and reasoning, rather than submitting to scripture or the authority of others in leadership within our church. He was one of those "my way or the highway" folks so he left. Eventually I think he left the ministry. Was he saved? God knows. Our prayer must be that some of his efforts bore some fruit.

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No matter what gifts and talents we may think we possess, we are still under the authority of the local/host pastor! To not yield to their control is a sin!

9. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe these things are worse in Presbyterian and Episcopalian churches because people come into the congregation by infant 'baptism' and the pernicious doctrine of 'Presumptive Regeneration' means that such people are 'presumed' to be born again.

However, history shows that Baptist churches are not immune from false teachers and false teaching. I believe that a firm and detailed Statement of Faith is the best protection. It is not enough for a preacher to say, 'I believe the Bible;' it is necessary for him to declare what he believes the Bible to teach, and if what he believes contradicts the Statement of faith, he doesn't get appointed.

There is a very good article on this subject in the current copy of Banner of Truth magazine. I think it is very important reading. You can find it here along with some comments of mine.
    https://marprelate.wordpress.com/2015/08/01/losing-hold-of-the-bible/

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

As a pastor I have my own statement of faith. When I am seeking a new pastorate I offer to send it upon request.