1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Falwell Funeral

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jshurley04, May 22, 2007.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Who sleeps 24 hrs? How would I know what goes through your mind between sleep and awake? If angry thoughts go through your head like you have posted on this board to the extent they seemed to be focused on the SBC, as an entire entity, and put Carter and Clinton as leaders of God's work, then yes, my guess is that is a sin.

By the way, if the SBC is so evil, just what group does meet your standards, or do you have two different groups for sinning and non sinning days?

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You see, the difference is that I never made a claim of no sinning for a given period of time, neither did I ever say the SBC was perfect, as you obviously are.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you not write post #32?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those who have not slept for many hours and are extremely exhausted.

The why did you write post #32?

There is not one group which is perfect. My Bible says that God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble. When God opposes the proud they are doomed and set on autopilot for a crash. Can you point out any time in which you ever heard an SBC leader of today apologize for his public sin or ever doing wrong? Humility should characterize anyone who does wrong. Men in leadership should be above reproach.

I believe the Bible and my standards are higher than the SBC. My standards are not what an organization sets but what God sets. I am not on this earth to compare myself to an organization or please them and see how high I am on the ladder but what God sets as the standard. Spirituality cannot be measured as though it were gnosticism but rather by relationship to God. When people understand that an organization must not be their lord then they will recognize Jesus as Lord.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why is it every one of your posts says something that just does not add up to life experience? I work a midnight shift, and in my mid 50's, and on the morning when I get off before a day off, stay up all day, and go to bed that night, and still only sleep 8 hours. That is also considering the fact I could have done things to take care of myself much better.

Your agenda and theology are a mystery to me, so there is nothing else to say.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you do not believe me then perhaps you might believe what Spurgeon wrtote. In one of his books he wrote that there was a time when he preached and afterward he slept more than one day.

Start studying the historical background behind the passages in scripture and you will be amazed at what you will find. Let me assure you it most likely will not be what you have heard preached much. It will also cause you to begin asking serious questions. For about 25 years I read over one book each week. When I was a young pastor I had older men tell me not to preach on certain passages when I asked them how to interpret a passage or preach on something. My response was that I was going through the Bible. Too often their response was just to skip the passage. Frankly I was shocked at such laziness to dig. My attitude was why should I give people what they can get without studying much. If it was hard for me to understand imagine what it was like for the people. It forced me to study harder. What I found out in the process was often not what I heard preached. There were times when I got some strange looks and questions but after the person would ask and study more they would come to the same conclusion I did. It was during those times when I saw the laziness of some pastors and the steadfastness of others. As I studied I began to notice the religious nonsense of some who were preaching what they had been told or what sounded good without much attention to the details or study. When I started disccovering some things as I studied there were two professors I would discuss those things with. Consistently they had already found the same things to be true. When I confronted some of the leaders I knew with what I found and asked them how they would deal with such a thing, often they indicated just to be happpy with ignorance and ignore what I told them or to be afraid to preach it because of the feared reprisal. I was not content to preach less than what I saw as the truth.

In 2003 I asked a pastor if there was ever a time when he had conflicts in his own mind with what he heard being preached in the denomination and the results of his study. He told me that he was having those at that time.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I got in on the tail end of the ministry of the late, great Dr. Stephen Olford----perhaps one of the greatest expositors of the word that the 20th Century ever had----and he would say

Men!!! There is absolutely---absolutely---absolutely---no excuse--no excuse---no excuse---for expository laziness!!!!