1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Family Time

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Gib, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Gib

Gib Active Member

My Dad was usually able to spend a couple of nights a week with us in the evening, uninterrupted. Though he may have taken a phone call here and there, most of the time was dedicated to us. Generally it would be on Fridays and Saturdays.

Excluding emergencies, how many nights, on average, are you free with your family?

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our kids are all gone, but when in the ministry (tentmaking, so very busy) we took all supper times and an hour or so after for family. I usually was able to take most of Sat. with them as well or at least Sat. afternoon.

One is a youth pastor, one full time home schooling mom and one looking to enter the ministry so they didn't suffer too much or the Lord made up the difference :)

3. shane usry

shane usry New Member

Hey Gib! My line of work doesn't actually have a "routine" or schedule. I try to be home early, around 5-6pm at least 3-4 nights a week. I also have my wife come meet me for dinner on my late nights. You bring up a very important issue. A lot of teen problems wouldn't occur if parents would give their kids the time that they deserve. That goes for marital problems as well!...Gib, someone should write a song about that! ;)

4. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I make it a point to spend at least 2 hours every week night with my two sons, my wife and I then have at least two hours of time together after the boys go to bed. There are some times when I may have to work in the evenings, but I do my best to make that rare. We also spend every Saturday and Sunday together as a family, we try to plan outings every weekend, or rent some movies to watch at home together as a family.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a young pastor (small town of 585 in rural Wisconsin) and raising kids, I had scheduled times I can still remember:

Monday was day off. Period. Shop, travel, etc with the whole family.

Tuesday afternoon/evening was work at UW on advanced degrees. I only had an MA when I began pastoring full time.

Thursday night with men - softball, basketball

Friday noon with wife - out to lunch with a sweet lady in the church babysitting for us so we could "date" at the A&W

Saturday/Sunday were always 100% youth/church related everything. No family, unless an emergency.

And every day we had time for play, devotions, sit around a table with the children. If I had evening obligations (like Tuesday) we would do it at noon. Kids need routine and to see Dad leading.

Joy of small church/small town was lots of time with the kids. Always took them to post office, bank, etc, pulling in a Radio Flyer . .

Ah, memories [​IMG]

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

We are like what Dr. Bob described.
    Monday is off day, but we call it family day. We always do something together as a family. We have almost every evening meal together and on weekends (not Sunday)we are often together, just us. Even though DH is very busy with school and the church, (and some teaching) we still have more time with him than most families do, I think. He does a great job of the balancing act!