1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FamilyNet T.V. Can you pick this up?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Apr 18, 2004.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Wondering if this is available in your area?

http://www.familynet.com/

If so, do you watch it?
    Diane

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

I have not seen that in our area. For a time, Sky Angel was a hot item, but fizzled out.

A former pastor, mentioned Sky Angel during the welcome, one Sunday night. Many went out and got the necessary equipment. After a short while, the pastor was the first to go back to cable.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

This seems to be just a channel that's available in certain areas but the 'locate an affiliate near you' isn't working. LOL It's out of Fort Worth so maybe C.J. will know something when she comes online.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

We have an affiliate, but they don't carry just FamNet broadcasting.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watch it occasionally. Much better than TBN or the Inspiration Network, though it still has some programming that I find objectionable.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

rsr, What type thing was objectional? I can't get the 'locate local channel' to work but felt like it would be neat.

Diane

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

We have a local church that brings it in to our cable system. They have to sell ads on it to pay for the cable channel. It was funny because they told one of their members that he had to buy all of his ads from them and he explained that he had to reach a mass audience and couldn't just afford to run his advertising budget just for the church members. Almost started a war....haha

We put in an FM low Power Christian Radio station instead. A lot cheaper with good coverage including two local church services on Sunday with Powerline and Ontrack both from FamilyNet Radio. (They didn't like the competition too much either, I heard.....oh well.)

8. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Diane, I am no fan of Pat Robertson, for instance, and he's a regular. Just my bias there. And I've noticed a tendency to lap up Barton-Kennedy pseudohistory. That's just me.

To be fair, it has some good programming, including "Gospel Jubilee," the Gaither homecoming show, "Davey and Goliath," and "His Place" (a good choice for insomniacs).

9. Iamfree63

Iamfree63 New Member

I'd like to know what pastor in his right mind would cancel Sky Angel and go back to cable? First of all, do you think that you can't have Sky Angel and cable? And by the way Sky Angel hasn't "fizzeled out", it's still around stronger then ever. Also, Sky Angel carries "The Liberty Network", which is Jerry Fawell's channel is is a Family Net affiliate, which means it carries 70 % of Family Net's programming.

www.skyangel.com. Why try to find out if that channel in in your area, just get Sky Angel! Oh, and if you like Southern Gospel, there's GMT, which is a 24/7 Southern Gospel Music Video channel, plus Sky Angel carries a Southern Gospel Radio station.

Come on everybody, keep your cable if you want, but how about supporting a Christian satellite service working for you! and not the DEVIL!

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Good Gracious! Pat Robertson???? Never mind! :eek:

11. Iamfree63

Iamfree63 New Member

Oh, he's also a regular on your local UPN, WB and local Christian channels, do you still subscribe to cable?

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We have Satellite. Our oldest son gave us the dish for Christmas many years ago and it's a lot cheaper. We've blocked some channels.

We have DayStar here (Christian channel). I've only seen a little of it tho. They didn't advertise it and we found it by accident this week.

We have a TVGuardian on the main set so no cuss words can come through. It's set so that the word sex is blocked and a rooster cannot cock a doodle doo nor can you prick your finger on a porcupine.

Diane

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

Here if we had sky angel, our cable co wouldn't let us have cable too.

14. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    iamfree63said:

I don't watch UPN or WB and there are no local "Christian" channels. He's also available on TBN, which I watch only to gather information.

Odd that I should hold a "Christian" channel to a higher standard than secular channels and resent his bilge being promoted by the SBC.

15. superdave

superdave New Member

Maybe its just me, but I don't get any of my spiritual guidance or enrichment from the TV, I get it from my local church. I have a cable modem, so I have cable too, the cheapest, most limited package they can send down the wire. And I still have some of the channels blocked. We do not get family net on our provider, Charter Communications, at least not here, maybe if we upgraded to Digital.

I guess we don't watch enough TV to make it worth spending more on cable or on satellite, "Christian" networks or not.

16. Iamfree63

Iamfree63 New Member

Hey Diane, do you have DISH Network satellite? If so, you're only one dish and $11.99 per month away from getting Sky Angel! That's great news! Remember, even though you block the channels out, you are still supporting them.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Just curious. Are Davey and Goliath still drinking Mountain Dew? [​IMG]

18. Iamfree63

Iamfree63 New Member

No, not many people do get spiritual guidance or enrichment from the TV, you get beat up by the TV (programming). At least with Sky Angel, the jabs are less and YOU CAN be built up, edified and taught through TV.