1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Famous Landmarker Quoted Here

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Rhetorician, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who have an ear:

I ran across this blog where a "famous Landmarker" was quoted. And I knew all of you who are like minded or at least like interested would want to go there and see what was said and by whom. You will be surprised I am sure.

You can see the quote here:

http://sbctoday.com/2010/03/30/baptist-history/#comments

Go right on over now and get back to me with observations and comments and "angry exhortations!"

"That is all!"

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Very interesting indeed :).

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Loved the comments both before and after the "unveiling"

4. MrJim

MrJim New Member

Yeah but which Baptists are the True Church©? SBC, Freewill, Calvinist, Independent:laugh:

5. Fred Moritz

Fred Moritz New Member

Landmarker?

And Spurgeon's statement is not Landmark. He never indicated that he believed in the visible, unbroken line of succession that Landmarker's claim for their authenticity.

There are a lot of good Baptists (I hope I am one) who believe that there have always been people of New Testament faith. That they were connected, or that their legitimacy depended on a succession from one group to another cannot be proved. And it is absolutely not necessary for New Testament Christianity.

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Did you miss the part where he said "but we have an unbroken line up to the Apostles themselves" ?

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Spurgeon was not plowing any new ground.

The following was written in 1838, several years before J. R. Graves' Landmark movement and several years before Spurgeon's writing:

"We should keep in mind that nearly every question has two sides; and while the controversy between us and the pedobaptists respects church origin, we are happy to have their full concession that they are recent dissenters from the Roman Catholics; and that the Baptist church is not only the true church of God, but that for her 'it is easy to trace a succession of witnesses for Jesus Christ against His rival at Rome.'"

This was excerpted from 'The Convert's Guide to First Principles" by Israel Robords, pastor of the First Baptist Church of New Haven, CT. It was published in 1838.

My source was the website Landmark Southern Baptists at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LandmarkSouthernBaptist/message/626

BTW, this was before there were any Southern Baptists.

#7 Tom Butler, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010