1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Famous Plagiarists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On another thread I started on John Wesley , I got an idea . Yes , I got the idea -- I didn't steal it from anyone . Can you name any famous plagiarists ? While living in South Korea I encountered many folks who thought nothing of stealing someone's ideas --- word-for-word acquisition was the favorite method of theft . University students did it as a matter of course -- even University professors got in the act .

I will list some people who were found stealing in this manner -- in no particular order .

John Brown of Haddington 1722-1787 ( I narrowed him down because there have been a lot of John Browns ) . Spurgeon , in his "Commenting on Commentaries" said that Brown's "Notes on the New Testament -- an undisguised plagiarism from Guyse."

Kenneth Hagen ( copied extensively from E.W. Kenyan with no credit given ) .

Joe Biden ( You know )

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ( You know )

Joseph Smith ( Of Mormon infamy ) His stories were lifted not only from the King James Bible .

Vladimir Putin ( I had to go by the word of others here . I don't understand Russian .)

Alex Haley ( The "Roots" man paid a settlement to a white man for copying his storyline ) .

Any others ?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stephen Ambrose, historian/author (2002). Plagiarism. He was almost a book "factory", writing eight books in five years. But that apparently came easier when parts were copied from other books, without attribution.

Joe Biden, U.S. Senator and candidate for President (1988). Plagiarism. He withdrew from the 1988 presidential race after being discovered "delivering, without attribution, passages from a speech by British Labor party leader Neil Kinnock... a serious plagiarism incident involving Biden during his law school years; the senator's boastful exaggerations of his academic record at a New Hampshire campaign event; and the discovery of other quotations in Biden's speeches pilfered from past Democratic politicians." He's still a Senator, and back in the race for 2008.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/ke...-sins-or-why-marvin-kalb-wrong-about-internet

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

I remeber this quote on plagiarism from a Seminary Professor:

Then again I probably stole that from someone else.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Ed

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

This is a bump because many might miss J.Ds clever little joke like I did :)