1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fantasy Baseball Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

If I weren't loaded at OF, I'd take him. Watch his injuries though. That's the reason the Reds parted with him.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Tom, I am curious why the scoring categories was changed after the draft?

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I have the same question.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Losses were inadvertently carried over from prior years setup apparently (or default). If that is a bone of contention and everyone wants them back, I'll put them back. In years past we didnt really have "negative" category for P.

6. PastorSBC1303

Normally the scoring categories are messed with before the draft as they could affect who you draft, but after the draft they are left alone. I was just curious why they was changed.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I agree. I'm normally loathe to change after the draft but this was a glaring error pointed out by someone else. If anyone drafted because of the loss category, I'll put it back. Truthfully, I didn't. But if anyone did, we'll put it back. I don't want anyone to have a bad taste in their mouths over this. At the end of the day, I don't think it would matter as we're not dropping HR and adding SB or dropping W and adding Sv in its place. W/L go together, so I doubt it makes much of a difference as I see it. But if anyone says otherwise, I'll put them back in.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Since this was a mere oversight that was caught after the draft, the proper course of action would have been to ask the league if they were Ok with it. And, I was one who did draft my pitchers with Losses in mind.

One category won't make a difference in a 6 team league on who's in the playoffs, but one category can make the difference in the playoffs.

I'm not arguing that it needs to be changed back, because I'm perfectly Ok with Losses not being a category, but I'm not thrilled that it was changed post-draft.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I should've ran it by the league before changing it, but since I didn't see it in the leagues before, I figured it would not be a problem. Obviously, I was wrong.

Your call....change it back? Since you drafted with losses in mind (and how do you do that, exactly) :) I'll be more than happy to change back.

Not being smart alecky about drafting re losses - I'm interested to hear your thoughts. And like I said, I'll change it back unless you expressly say no way.

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

It's not that I have a problem with the change, because I'm not a big fan of negative categories in fantasy leagues, just the manner in which it was done. I'm perfectly Ok with leaving Losses out of the categories. No need to change it back.

Drafting away from losses only happened on one pick. With every other pitcher I drafted, I went for categories other than L's. When I had to make a choice between 2 pitchers, Maine or Cain, who were fairly even in all other aspects, it came down to the team behind them. I think, like most people (including Giants fans) that the Giants are going to be bad this year, so I went with the pitcher who had the better team behind him, Maine.

So, that's my reasoning for drafting away from L's.

11. PastorSBC1303

I do not have a problem with the way the settings currently are either.

But I would hope the scoring categories would stay the same from here on out.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

There will be no further changes, unless there is some sort of unanimous desire because of a mess-up. Only reason this got changed is it just got by me that it was even there to begin with. When you set up a league, you have defaults from yahoo and you also can carry over settings from a previous league. Somehow, L's got in there and I just missed it. Having a 4 week old that is having health issues, being an MBA student, a full-time worker, and a full preaching schedule, along with a revival I was preaching at the time...well, I just missed it. I should've notified everyone and/or gotten feedback before I made the change. Again, my apologies to any and all. I would not have seen this unless CCROB pointed this out to me in the course of discussing a possible trade.

CCROB..did you get my email back in response to the trade? I did start the explanation process there, but it seems you must not have gotten it.

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

No, I didn't get an email back. The computer I'm using to write this post doesn't have Outlook configured for my email, and I don't want to set it up here, so I can't check to see if the email got sent to Spam my mistake. Once I get on the desktop either later tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll look for it.

14. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I hope one of you took my advice to pich up Josh Hamilton - he is currently the triple crown leader in the AL - 1st in batting, Home runs and RBIs - he was 3-5 today with a home run in the 10th to win it for the rangers over minnesota. Hamilton has 53 RBIs and we are not even close to the all star break!

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I've got Hamilton in more than one of my leagues. He's very, very good. The only concern anybody should have about him is whether he can stay healthy over the course of the season.

16. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Ron Washington is trying to get him the occassional day off, and has him playing right field and DH from time to time. Wash tried to get him to take a day off yesterday - day game after a night game, playing on turf etc - Josh's reply was "were playing inside, the heat wont be a problem" - then went out to hit a game winning HR in the 10th!

As a ranger fan (who has had very little to cheer about) Hamilton has been a joy to watch - he says that he is having the best time of his life, the team has adopted him - from the start of spring training, and helps him with his continued recovery from his drug days. He reportedly spends a significant amount of time in Bible study - and his wife travels with him on the road.

By the way, the rangers have opened talks with him about a long term deal according to the Dallas Morning News.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

IF he can stay healthy, Josh Hamilton could be very, very good. I think the Reds still got the better end of that deal given their situation with needing pitching and having a glut of OFs. Still, I wish we could've sent someone else away and kept Hamilton just because of his story. He was loved in Cincinnati. Still is.