1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

fast facts-Jerry Falwell

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Boanerges, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't believe it. This site you linked to even has KJV vs. the rest charts [​IMG] [​IMG] . As if comparing a translation to another translation proves anything. Wow, talk about presuppositionalism! In fact they have FIVE such charts. Of course anyone who knows anything about translations and textual issues will note that (a) you can't do that and expect to be taken seriously, and, (b) you can turn such a trick against KJV-Only people. I have also noticed that this web-site attempts to link almost everyone to Moon or some other underworld, or new world order type person or goal(s). From Jerry Falwell, to Tim LaHaye, to John Ankerberg, to Mel Gibson, to Promise Keepers, to D James Kennedy whom they accuse of promoting "astrology and zodiac" (which he did not do). So it seems that this site has some issues, serious issues. Its sources are its own articles. I am sorry but I can't take seriously the content of that site. They seem to be too far out of the main-stream. I am looking for a solid source regarding the issues about Falwell and Moon. So far I can't get any on a google search nor can I get any from anyone here who is posting this stuff about Falwell. These type anti-Falwell sites don't prove anything and cannot be used as sources since they are clearly very, very biased. Sorry.

Martin.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does "Dr' Falwell have a legitimate earned doctorate?

found this partial quote:

"it is not customary for an honorary doctor to use the formal title of "doctor", regardless of the background circumstances for the award (the clergy being a notable exception: Robert W. Schuller, Robert A. Schuller, Billy Graham, Norman Vincent Peale and Jerry Falwell, just as examples, are all referred to as "doctor" and refer to themselves that way, even though none of them possess an earned doctorate but all have several honorary degrees, whereas Martin Luther King, Jr. earned a Ph.D. from Boston University)."

Is this correct?
    </font>[/QUOTE]==So now we are down to "attack the degree" the person holds? This is so very predictable. If they have honorary doctorates they can call themselves dr. However I don't think Graham refers to himself as "DR". I would not refer to myself as "DR" even if I had a earned PHD (unless I was a medical doctor).

Martin.

3. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some folks will have to learn the hard way.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting article from the Washington Post. It also contains some interesting points in Falwell's favor that have been left out thus far. For example...

"Also in 1995, the Women's Federation made another donation that illustrates how Moon supports fellow conservatives. It gave a $3.5 million grant to the Christian Heritage Foundation, which later bought a large portion of Liberty University's debt, rescuing the Rev. Jerry Falwell's Lynchburg, Va., religious school from the brink of bankruptcy.

Journalist Robert Parry, who first reported the bailout in I.F. Magazine, quoted an official with the Women's Federation confirming that the $3.5 million was meant for "Mr. Falwell's people."

The Post has learned of more recent and direct financial support from Moon to Falwell. Last year, News World Communications, parent of the money-losing Times, lent $400,000 to Liberty at 6 percent interest, according to the promissory note.

Liberty University spokesman Mark DeMoss said the school was not aware of News World's connection to Moon when it obtained the loan through a broker . "I'm not going to be pious and tell you we would have turned it down," DeMoss said. "Because it was a business transaction, we probably would have moved forward even if Dr. Falwell or somebody in the organization knew who News World Communications was.""

Some facts:

Part of Liberty's debt was purchased by "Christian Heritage Foundation, which later bought a large portion of Liberty University's debt".

Secondly Liberty was not aware that NWC was connected with Moon.

Thirdly while I believe Liberty should have turned down the money if they knew the source (disagreeing with DeMoss) since they did not know that Moon was the source there was no reason for them to turn it down. Also it seems that the article reveals that Moon (etc) were trying to gain influence with popular conservatives.

I must say that the fire was not as big as the smoke.

Martin.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Using anti-Falwell atheists as sources?

The article from "The Nation" is questionable since:

-It refers to Liberty as "fundamentalists" (negative use).

-It links to no sources.

-It connects Liberty to Moon directly when a spokesperson from Liberty (in the other article you cited) said they were not aware of the source of the money. That is a contradiction.

Now what if Falwell knowingly went to Moon for money as "The Nation" claims?

1. It was a very bad choice on the part of Falwell. We should never let money drive us to compromise our standards/faith.

2. God has still used Falwell and Liberty University. Therefore we should not attempt to tear down the ministry of either because of a sin in their past (if it can be proven).

3. Falwell should explain his actions.

Martin.

7. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Let me say this. Am I saying that Mr Falwell is not saved? The answer is no. Am I saying that he is a bad guy? No, I am not. I am saying that people need to take a closer look at the details.I could name a hundred people in the same situation.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==What we (I) are saying is that the sources you are basing your information on are not strong sources. If Falwell knowingly accepting money from Moon then that was a mistake. However the article from the Washington Post makes it sound like that is not what happened (Moon used a front). Either way I still think the whole story is not being told. I doubt Falwell knowingly sought after and took money from someone like Moon. So there are alot of questions I have that are not being answered.

Martin.

9. Brice

Brice New Member

Hey Boanerges,

Did you happen to take a look at the footnotes? I assume you didn’t because those footnotes would expose the source of these allegations. Here’s a link for you - http://www.seekgod.ca/footnote.f.htm Now if you take a look for a second, you will see that those sites are very ANTI-Falwell and many, such as www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes make the same allegations toward many others as well and have been shown on BB to be erroneous at best. They go after many people such as –
    R.C. Sproul
    Charles Swindoll
    D. James Kennedy
    David Jeremiah
    Billy Graham
    James Dobson

Now if this isn’t an obvious agenda, it would be hard to find one anywhere.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Out of 48 footnotes, three of them were referenced to that site.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I said such as, hence it being one of many sources. Footnotes are designed to source a particular statement or statements and in this case it was used to support an accusation. A scholarly article would never source gossip.

When accusations of this level are made against someone, they deserve rock hard facts and a chance to explain and or repent. At that point one can decide what they perceive to be the right course of action based on their own convictions; you have met none of these Christian prerequisites. I am thankful that God does this for me and I have His grace and understanding based on my fallible state. When someone who has dedicated his whole life to the betterment of the Christian faith, they deserve the rights afforded to a brother in Christ from another brother in Christ.

10. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

11. eloidalmanutha

yeah, in 1995 when that pic was taken - falwell was one of moon's speakers at his "The Inter Religious Federation for World Peace" the time line - 4 yrs before falwell got his financial "incentive".

http://www.tparents.org/UNews/unws9601/irff.htm

12. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

I know Rev Falwell was instrumental in founding Liberty Baptist College. Which was and still is a wonderful institution. His college even offered a Home bible correspondence course which in my opinion is the finest ever produced. Many wonderful young men and women have graduated from Liberty as well. Liberty Baptist college also has a wonderful CHRISTIAN sports program.

So sure, maybe Rev Jerry has had his hand in the cookie jar or crossed the line ecumenically, but look at the fruits of his labor. All this by one man's efforts and dreams. Rev Falwell left a great legacy as far as I'm concerned.

13. eloidalmanutha

so did Judas Iscariot - he cast out demons, healed people, worshipped Jesus, had his hand in the cookie jar, and crossed the line ecumenically, and left a legacy. he also betrayed Jesus. God does not mix fruit [see Matt 7:15-20]

14. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

eloidalmanutha

You need to see the good in people more than trying to find all that is bad. Remove that log out of your eye, it's blocking your vision

15. eloidalmanutha

you are out of context. I don't preach the gospel and take money from a Christ denier to fund any projects. The Biblical mandate is to judge the church, leaders, teachers and expose non-Biblical behavior. not doing so will cost many people their lives - I have too much respect and compassion to leave people on the broad path of destruction.

16. standingfirminChrist

I am not sure Judas cast out demons. Judas was the son of perdition, and Jesus said in Matthew 12 that satan cannot cast out satan.

Matthew 12:26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

Judas was with the twelve, but he could not have cast out satan.

17. eloidalmanutha

Matthew 10
    1 ¶ And having called His twelve disciples, He gave them authority over unclean spirits, so as to cast out, and to heal every disease and every weakness of body.
    2 And the names of the twelve apostles are these: First, Simon who is called Peter and his brother Andrew, James the son of Zebedee and his brother John,
    3 Philip, and Bartholomew, Thomas, and Matthew the tax-collector, James the son of Alpheus, and Lebbaeus, whose last name was Thaddaeus,
    4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed Him.
    5 ¶ Jesus sent these twelve out, charging them, saying: Do not go into the way of the nations, and do not go into a Samaritan city.
    6 But rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
    7 And going on, proclaim, saying, The kingdom of Heaven has drawn near.
    8 Heal sick ones, cleanse lepers, raise dead ones, cast out demons. You freely received, freely give.

18. Brice

Brice New Member

Now Ron you had to go and start it up again didn't you. [​IMG] :eek:

19. eloidalmanutha

a comment on Judas - when Jesus sent out the 12 it was early in His ministry at a time when Judas was probably enthralled with Him - and at one point, we are told he worshipped Jesus with the other disciples. It was later, at the last supper, when "satan entered him" that Judas fell away completely.