1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fastest Growing US churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tinytim, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't whiten teeth either,

...but it's proper for a church to keep order.

Rob

2. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Dr Bob, you must really stop speaking in tongues.
    I think that the fastest growing churches are probably the ones showing the super bowl on the big screen this evening.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They may have the most numbers but unlikley they have the most growth unless they have discipleship. But so many churches have zero growth and zero anything.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Show me.

You are the first that I have seen claim that the SBC is still 'growing'.

Most everything that i have seen indicates that we are plateaued.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Are we supposed to do that?

:wavey:

6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're in the same process. We re-wrote our constitution and by-laws this past year. We are now moving non-resident members and inactive members to an inactive status. We will no longer count them on any reports, and they no longer have voting rights at our church. I was concerened when we proposed this in our C&BL, but it was approved without any objection.

This will show us a huge decrease in numbers, but as for active members, we continue to grow. To God be the glory!

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I've read a number of good suggestions about how to remove delinquent members from the roll. Most of them involve making contact with them, either personally or by letter; remind them of their obligations as church members, hoping this will wake them up somehow.

My question is, why? Oh, I know about Matthew 18. But after they've been missing for a year or more, I suggest the reason for contacting them is to inform them that they have been disfellowshipped. Let's don't sugarcoat it by using terms like "removed from the roll." Let's call it what it is.

We tend to want to be gentle in our treatment of them because we're Christians and don't want to make anybody mad or hurt anybody's feelings. But the fact is, they withdrew fellowship from the church first. Does anybody really think they really care what the church does?

Once that letter is sent, we'll find out soon enough if they've joined another church or died.

Okay, what do you think?

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some feel as though the church did not care and when contacted they feel as though someone did not even notice that they left.

9. kmichael

kmichael New Member

Maybe you have had a theological epiphany.........is this why so many pastors out there look like Big Macs?

I am feeling led to stomp 3 times, point my finger and say shame shame!

We set a bad bad precident assuming that church growth is not kingdom growth. You think this is worse than fundi grey haired baptist church who has never experienced real growth? The emergent/charasmatic arm of the SBC is growing. And they are indeed adding souls to the kingdom. Not in ridged old fashion alter calls....but out in the fields. (speaking to all who read this) "get your church authentically growing the kingdom and then come back and post about how someone else is doing it wrong."

Burn your pews, your pulpit and your kneckties and start over!

With bunches of love,
    :1_grouphug:
    K :)