1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fasting

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by deacon jd, Mar 14, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now why are you assuming something I never said? Did I ever say I wouldn't try it? If I'm led by the Spirit to do so, I will.
    I suppose Luke 10:9, applies to us today, too, since Jesus stated it...
    Heal the sick who are there and tell them, 'The kingodom of God is near you.'
    You heal the sick lately, Pastor? I haven't.

I guess I don't see where there is a length of time required, nor a specific manner in which fasting is to take place. Where is it stated a fast can't be for a single meal? Daniel 10:3 implies that some kind of food was eaten during a fast, where he ate "no pleasant bread, nor flesh, nor wine".

Something else I just thought of from your earlier post...
    If fasting is for the purpose of prayer, why are they stated as separate? Could fasting be giving up food, or something else pleasurable, for a specific time while seeking God's will...like at a church leaders meeting or in Bible study where prayer is happening?

#41 webdog, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2007
  2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I assumed it because you have done nothing but argue against it for the entire thread and when presented with a simple challenge to participate, before you argue against it, you continued your reasons why it was not important.

Great, I will be waiting to hear your report.

You continue to present material that is not regarding the OP. This has nothing to do with healing. The verse does still apply to people today, but in reality this has nothing to do with this thread. If you would like to address this issue please start a new thread.

I never stated anything about any requirements about time, etc. I simply challenged you to a 24 hour fast from food to devote yourself to prayer and study of God's word. The time is not important. Sure, a fast could be for a single meal. But missing a single meal really isn't much of a sacrifice for most today, is it? I understand this mindset as I was there once in my life. I did not want to make the necessary sacrifice to fast. I did not think I could do without food for 24 hours or more. Yet I have grown to love fasting. Fasts do not necessarily have to be about food either, you can fast from other things and use that time to devote yourself to prayer and study of God's Word.

Sure, I never said it couldn't be. Prayer and fasting seem to be connected in Scripture, so it is reasonable to assume that when one fasts prayer will be an important part of that time.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It has to do with one of your statement, not the OP. You stated Jesus' words are immutable truth, and apply to our lives even today. Context matters. So, ever heal anyone, Pastor?
    Now fasting is to be done as a "challenge" and not led by the Spirit?
    In one breath you say time is not important, but then state one meal is not a sacrifice. Is it a sacrifice for a diabetic or nursing mom? Where is this 24 hour time frame coming from? As I pointed out from the book of Daniel, fasting doesn't even necessarily mean missing a meal.
    Under these "guidelines", I have fasted, then. That was my entire point I was trying to make. The OP started out, and every single reply was about food, and not eating for at least 24 hours...something I do not see being taught in the NT at all. Even in the OT the time varied with each fast, so I don't know where the modern day time requirements are coming from, nor do I see the fast as having to miss a meal as everyone else seems to.

#43 webdog, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2007
  4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Web, if you don't want to fast, don't. It really matters not to me, and you can justify however you need. I just find it sad that you argue so hard against something that many people have and continue to find a spiritual discipline that draws them closer to the Lord.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

....and yet again you fail to either read or understand my posts :rolleyes:

#45 webdog, Mar 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2007