1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fasting

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gina B, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I've been thinking about fasting one day a week.

My reasons are various, but the main focus is to, well focus more! On Christ.

Does anyone want to try it? I've done it before, but not as a once a week habit or anything, so it's gonna be new to me and I figure if it's new to you too, we could discuss it and help each other.

Those that do this regularly could clue us in on stuff.

What DOES it mean to fast? When I've done it in the past for more than a day, I still counted it a fast if I drank broth. I've found I get headaches if I don't, and that really seemed to ruin the whole purpose and focus thing.

Anyhow, I'm considering easing into it. Start with half a day one week, the next week go to 3/4 of a day, then finally a whole one.

Whaddya think?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Gina L.

I've fasted before, but not lately. At one time I did a Bible study about it. Here are the things I learned:

(1) There is no direct command anywhere to the effect of "Thou shalt fast," so it we are free in the Lord in this matter.

(2) Fasting in the Bible usually occurred when someone had a great burden. However, fasts were occasionally declared by rulers: Jezebel (!), Josiah, etc.

(3) Depending on which Bible version you use, the key passage to me is Matthew 17:21, "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." (Some modern versions leave out "fasting," because it is not in some manuscripts.) Also good is Psalm 35:13: "But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom." So fasting and prayer should be connected.

(4) Please don't fast for long if you have medical problems. A good secular book on this, though possibly outdated, is Fasting: the Ultimate Diet, by Allan Cott, MD. It gives good facts from a medical standpoint.

God bless!

3. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember that fasting is not a diet plan. It is not to lose weight. It is meant for spiritual focus.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Matthew 6:16 "When you fast..."

It appears that Jesus assumed that His followers would fast.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

A fast does nto ahve to mean no food at all of any kind.
    Daniel 10:
    2In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. 3I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

Strong's
    pleasant H2530
    A primitive root; to delight in:—beauty, greatly beloved, covet, delectable thing, ( X great) delight, desire, goodly, lust, (be) pleasant (thing), precious (thing).

theres an article here about types of fasting,
    http://www.new-life.net/fasting.htm

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Earlier in Matthew 6 Jesus says the same thing about giving and praying...did he not assume his followers would do those either?

8. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Fasting can be a very special event. The few times I have done it have been very meaningful to me and have helped me to focus more on knowing and experiencing the Father in a deeper way. I thinks we neglect the discipline of it. Good for you, Gina!!

9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus certainly did!

(Mat 4:2) And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward hungry.

Often wondered what this means.

Gina,

I've considered fasting; the thought of deeply focusing on God and praying when the hunger pains in this world strike seems could be very enlightening. Used to do it for wrestling but that didn't count and it would probably be more of a challenge now.

10. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dare you to eat some grasshoppers dipped in honey when you're done. :D

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After a 40-day fast, grasshoppers would be mighty tasty!

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fasting is a form of worship, like prayer and the giving of alms. My advice is to start small. Begin your fast after your evening meal on Saturday night, and break your fast with break-fast on Monday morning. You're already about the Lord's business on His day, worship Him by denying your self on that day too.

Hint: Carry a pack of Trident with you. Your breath will get rank.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I merely pointed out that it was subjunctive. Make of it what you will. (I was not trying to say that fasting is wrong, but that it's not a command.) But, my take on the subject is that he was saying, "If you're doing such and such, then do it like this".

We are commanded to pray. Is there a single place where we are commanded to fast?

I think that it's a personal, spiritual matter, that is not based on command.

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ok.
    Well, I'm going to start with half days, on Mondays. [​IMG] I'm keeping water and clear broth in the picture.

My purpose is to help stay focused on Christ and to pray more, especially some specific requests for my children.

Hope to see others joining in!

I'll check back on this thread after a week or two or maybe even three to share how it's going and see what/how other participants are doing and how it's working.