1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fat 'n Happy

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Deacon, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Obesity Paradox: When Thinner Means Sicker and Heavier Means Healthier
    by Carl J. Lavie M.D.

“Obesity paradox,” the term, was coined in 2002 by Dr. Luis Gruberg and colleagues at the Cardiovascular Research Institute in Washington D.C., when they discovered — to their surprise — that overweight and obese patients had roughly half the risk of mortality than normal-weight patients following angioplasty, a procedure to unblock arteries in the heart. Lavie noticed a similar trend in his patients recovering from heart failure. He published his findings in 2003, where he revealed that for every 1 percent increase in body fat there was a 13 percent increase in overall survival. [LINK]

"In a society preoccupied with thinness, objectivity about how our weight relates to our health is often lost, and subtleties overlooked. In The Obesity Paradox, Dr. Carl Lavie masterfully explores the relationship between body weight and health, giving us a balanced and uniquely illuminating perspective." —David Katz, MD, author of Disease-Proof

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I fall in the "overweight" category according to the BMI charts and I think part of it maybe is having the extra fat to store extra vitamins and stuff? Also, we have more ability to last on what we have than a skinny person does. :)

Even so, I'd still like to drop 10 lbs. I'm 140 now at 5'3" and 130 would be a good weight, IMO. I still can't believe all through my teen years and early 20s, I weighed under 100 lbs!

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fill up on organic salads.....add beans and peas & stay away from bread, corn and any Caribs that just turn right to sugar. Then walk for 45 min., to 1 hour each day to burn fat and encourage your body to work more efficiently. You will loose the weight and keep it off & feel better healthwise. Fads don't work but healthy lifestyle changes do.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep. I eat a large salad daily and while I'm a carb addict, I try to limit what I have. My portions are definitely small too which helps. Between the horse (riding and barn chores - lifting 50 lb bags of feed and 75 lb. bales of hay is a good workout) and running, I do pretty well with the exercise and I started adding in between some weights and other stuff, I'm exercising daily. Some of it is really just where my body has settled and I have to work a little harder to get to where I want to be. Now that this horrible winter seems to be over, I should start doing a bit better. :)

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

While I don't wish to cast any aspersions on the OP (because Deacon's OP is essentially correct in what he posted), I'm reminded of a story a friend of mine told me years ago.

My friend was travelling on his summer vacation. He decided to spend the Saturday evening at a motel located in a small out-of-the-way crossroads community.

It so happened that right across the road from this motel was a Baptist church building, so he decided to attend Sunday morning services there.

The folks were very friendly and gladly took in my friend as a welcome visitor. The services were about the same as he'd experienced at his home church.

Coincidentally, the speaker was a visiting preacher who'd been an old school friend of that church's pastor.

The speaker chose for his sermon topic "What the Bible Teaches About Fasting." Several "Amen's" were heard throughout his message.

The church showed their appreciation by taking up a special "love offering" for this visiting speaker.

As the congregation was about to be dismissed, the pastor announced to all present that in just a few minutes everyone was invited to the church's annual "Dinner on the Grounds!"

(Needless to say, there were mighty few leftovers!) :laugh:

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist