1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faulty Intelligence?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Daisy, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Apparently not. You are revising history. It wasn't clear to you in late 2001 that Saddam didn't have WMDs. You had no way of knowing. The intelligence reports that Clinton had, that Gore had, that Bush had, the Kerry had, that the UN had, that the IAEA had, all said that he had them. And you certainly did not know more than they did, in spite of whatever opinion of your own knowledge you might have.

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I thought it was true. I never really considered the possibility now expposed by the Inspector General's report; Bush siimply promoted any intelligence reports that tended to support the existence of WMD, and withheld or suppressed any that showed they no longer existed.

Now you may argue that we were foolish enough to believe what Bush was telling us. But that's not the issue, is it?

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

President Clinton led the way with the intelligence.

He stated that had he been president at the time, he would have invaded Iraq.

Saddam Hussein admitted that he wanted the WMD's just days before the invasion.

You thought it was true - so of course the president of the US led the invasion that you wanted.

Now you think that you can take it back just like you would to Walmart . . .

To late.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Air strikes are not all out war on a sovereign nation. Who agreed upon has little to do with manufactured intelligence on the build up to the war against Iraq.

The topic is the report on bad intelligence that led to the invasion. I posted the topic, so I think I know what the topic is. It is more than a little presumptuous for you to lecture the Opening Poster on what the topic is.

The first paragraph of that same quote is: The report says that Feith's office "developed, produced and then disseminated alternative intelligence assessments on the Iraq and Al Qaeda relationship, which included some conclusions that were inconsistent with the consensus of the intelligence community."

And the last paragraph: The alleged caches of weapons have not been found, and the independent commission that investigated the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks found no evidence of a collaborative relationship between Hussein and Al Qaeda.
    The report is clear to me.

#24 Daisy, Feb 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Yes, air strikes are an all out war on a sovereign nation . . .

At least that is what I think . . .

So has everyone since, 8 September 1941.

And as to your bad intelligence that led you and the other 80% of the Americans to support this war, I thought it was a mistake.

But, once the round is down range, you cannot put it back into the casing.

The rubicon was crossed. And we must fight the war that 80% of America voted for.

6. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

This issue is not whether or not we should continue fighting. The issue is whether or not Bush lied to us by withholding any intelligence that didn't fit his objectives.

And now the Pentagon's inspector general has revealed that he did.

He misled Americans and he misled Congress and our allies, many of whom are now angry and mistrustful of the United States. He's needlessly killed thousands of our troops and wasted untold billions of dollars on his personal vendetta against Saddam. His own intelligence people now say that his war has made the United States more vulnerable to terrorism. He's done grave damage to American security.

And you wonder why so many of those people who formerly supported him, now detest him?

7. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

What happened on September 8, 1941?

If you are talking about the attack on Pearl Harbor, it was December 7,1941.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Terry,

I am still waiting for you to say something intelligent, honest, and conservative a second time!

You would be close if you hadn't performed the mistake that this premise is guilty of: Truth often has multiple viewpoints - December 8th, 1941 was the day that they Japanese Attacked Pearl Harbor - December 7th, 1941 was the day that America was attacked.

Same event - two different points of view - accross a little thing called a date line.

:thumbs:

#28 El_Guero, Feb 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2007
  9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

The Siege of Leningrad? You're comparing selective, limited retalitory airstrikes to the seige of a city?

I never supported this war. It wasn't my bad intelligence, it was the intelligence Bush presented to Congress and the world.

The war was not voted on by the people, but by our representatives, as you know.

We can fight the war and investigated its making at the same time.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Inspector General's report revealed no such thing.

But cling to that illusion if it makes you feel better.

11. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Snarky, snarky.

Um, you're a few months off there, EG. (linkie)

If you're going to be snotty, you should at least be right - or you give everyone a good horse laugh

#31 Daisy, Feb 11, 2007
  12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

We now know that saddam's leadership lied to him to keep him from killing him.

The American led blockade had prevented his people from carrying out his orders.

What I do not understnad is why American liberals would rather trust saddam and then lie to make the American President look like he is lying. Why not quit changing history and just go with the fact that saddam was the responsible party? Why not believe that he chose to lie to America knowing that he held the loosing hand?

He was stupid enough to attempt to assassinate an American President .. .

He was stupid enough to try to develop a nuclear program and artillery program so that he could nuke iran and israel . . .

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Mistakes are not the same thing as lying.

And when your intelligence is based upon trusting people like plame and her husband that divulge classified information for political gain, and saddam lying to the press, and saddam's generals encouraging the USA to dispose their despot - you are gonna make mistakes.

And conspiracy theorists are gonna have a field day . . . because their fear of the truth is greater than their fear of telling a lie.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Did I really right that?

:laugh:

15. Daisy

Daisy New Member

No, not yet.

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Yep, and vice versa - his generals were surprised to learn on the eve of the invasion that there were no WMDs.

It may be clear in you head what you mean, but you'll have to fill in the details if anyone else is going to follow - which orders?

The explanation is simple - they don't. Who trusted Saddam? No one, as far as I know.

Which American liberals are lying? This report is not a lie and I doubt the inspector general of the Pentagon qualifies as a liberal; he may be, but you'd have to offer some evidence.

He bears some responsibility, but he didn't declare war on the US and launch a pre-emptive strike.

He said he didn't have the weapons and he let the inspectors back in. I suspect he wanted the world, especially his immediate neighbors, to believe he was still the power to be reckoned with in order to keep the Kurds and Shi'ites in line. He gambled that they were the greater threat than the US.

And he got bombed for it.

So? He was unable to develop a nuclear programme after Bush I put him out of commission. Iran was far closer to have nuclear capabilities than Iraq; Israel has had them for decades.

What has any of that to do with Feith's office presenting "alternative" intelligence about Saddam's weapons and relationship to al Qaeda?

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

And so . . . you knowing what we all know - the faulty intelligence came from the enemy blame the President of the USA . . .

Personally, if I knew the enemy was the culprit, I wouldn't even blame you much less the President of the USA.

Guess we have differing standards of guilt and integrity.

#37 El_Guero, Feb 11, 2007
  18. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Faulty intelligence did come from the "enemy" (pre-invasion, could Iraq be considered the "enemy"?), but good intelligence came from our own intelligence agencies. This good intelligences was, um, adjusted and turned into faulty intelligence.

Should the President have relied on the best intelligence the CIA had, intelligence supplied by the enemy or the "alternative" pov? The President can be blamed for egregious lack of judgement.

I haven't seen any evidence that Saddam said he was working with or protecting al Qaeda.

The "enemy", if by enemy you mean Iraq, is not the culprit in this case.

I noticed.

19. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Exhibit A.
    Downing Street memos.

Exhibit B.

SOURCE

Exhibit C.

Saddam Hussein "is just the immediate justification for a wider role in middle eastern affairs". PNAC. Rebuilding America's Defenses. Page 14.

Exhibit D. Flashback to 1962.

Exhibit E. Flasback to Iran 1953.

In case you don't understand what happened in Iran in 1953. To make a long story short, our "leaders" used a false flag terror campaign to overthrow the Iranian government because Iran wanted to control it's own resources. How dare they?

Then there is the neocon's "Strausian philosophy".

The intell was fixed and we were going to go to war even if Bush and Blair had to use a false flag op to start it. Wouldn't be the first time deception and false flags were used to take America to war and/or overthrow another government.

#39 poncho, Feb 11, 2007
  20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

So the evidence was good enough to bomb a little but not a lot?

But that's not really the point, now, is it? As I pointed out, the issue is that the "faulty intelligence" was believed by more than Bush. It was believed by those who came before him, and by those in other nations.

Don't confuse things.

It is not presumptuous at all, when you change the topic that i addressed. The topic I addressed was that the intelligence Bush used was the same intelligence that Clinton, Gore, Kerry, and others all agreed on. It may have been faulty, but it was believed by many more than Bush who saw it.

So? That's not the point I was addressing. If you are going to address me, then address the point I made. It is a little presumptous for you to lecture me on the point I made, while ignoring it.

Great. Now try paying attention to the thread.

:D ... Seriously, I have been a little smart aleck just having some fun here. But please pay attention to what I said. I was not talking about the Iraq-Al Qaeda connection. I was talking about the reports of the existence of WMDs. They were believed by all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.