1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Favorite Album/CD

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Jimmy C, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Right. Because some song way over on the other side of the musical spectrum encourages smoking and pre- marital sex, a song that discourages smoking and encourages abstiance cannot be good. Further more, any song that discourages pre-marital sex is Satanic.

Amazing isn't the word. More like bizzare.

Agreed.

2. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Is all the song says or is this just a one-liner?
    That is not my position. I am by not means an expert of music, but I know when music honors and praises God and Iron Maiden is one of those that certainly does not do that.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I think he's referring to the songs I noted, in which case, the entire song is about these things, not just one line.

4. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Let's just say Marilyn Manson decided to record a gospel CD, would you encourage this CD even though he has not changed?
    NO! What I'm saying is for the last time, if your at a concert and the music is centered around drugs and alcohol and other things like that and then at the end of the concert the performer says, "Oh by the way, don't do those things" is what he said have any meaning to it?
    To judge the music would mean you have to judge the person singing it.

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I think he's referring to the songs I noted, in which case, the entire song is about these things, not just one line. </font>[/QUOTE]Which song might this be Mike?

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

All truth is God's truth, no matter where it comes from so I would try to judge that CD on it's own merits and not on my biases toward Manson. By the way, isn't it funny, and this has been brought up before, that you guys always go for the Manson angle? Why Manson when I have constantly said that I'm not familiar with his music? Why the most extreme artist you can find and not a more mainstream artist? You're playing on people's biases and misconceptions, rather than judging the music on it's own merits and that's a little misleading. I expect more (or at least I hope for more) from you.

But again, are these songs advocating these things or merely telling a story about what happens when they're used?

I mean, it's hard to think that anyone could hear a song like, say, "Life in the Fastlane" or "Sam Stone" and come away thinking, "Wow! I've got to try some of that!"

You're confuing two different things: the content of the song and the behavior of the singer.

I disagree. Music should be judged on it's own merits. If you choose not to listen to an artist because you disagree with his lifestyle, that's another story altogether.

I like Steve Earle's music. For those who don't know, he's a heroin addled, Marxist, ex con who has a song praising Johnny Taliban.

I think he's an awful individual and an awful American but he's a musical genius. As much as I disagree with songs like "John Walker's Blues", that doesn't make the songs morally bad and it doesn't make completely unrelated songs such as "Some Dreams", which is actually a beautiful song, morally bad.

You brought up Marilyn Manson earlier. If He sang "Amazing Grace", would "Amazing Grace" be bad then?

Like I said, I think he's referring to the songs I noted earlier, which you responded to.

Again, "Smoke, Smoke, Smoke" is anti-smoking. "Young Boy, Young Girl" is pro pre-marital abstinance. Why are these things bad?

7. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Maybe I just don't understand where you are coming from Mike. Most if not all artist sing about things that are happening in their lives or someone elses.

8. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

BTW, it seems like Ms. Spears wants to join the crowd. Check it out. http://www.av1611.org/666/rock_666.html

Also look at all the other artist that promote the number of the beast.

Yeah, nothing wrong with their music. :rolleyes:

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

You think?

Who? Nearly all of the artists I know of write fictional songs. The only artist I know who's songs are even remotely biographical is Jimmy Buffett.

Again, even if this were true, simply writing a song about the things you see taking place around you is not the same thing as advocating a lifestyle.

I would take the Eagles' "Hotel California" for example. The themes of this album are drug abuse, greed, materialism, casual sex, etc and many of the things the band saw taking place in the mid 70's in Southern California. But the music on this album is hardly promoting these things. In fact, they're a warning against them.

Like I said, it's hard to see how any reasonable person can listen to a blatantly anti-drug song like "Life in the Fastlane" and think that that song is advocating drug use.

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Again, other than Brittany Spears, Iron Maiden, the Police and Led Zeppelin, who is falsely portrayed as using "666" in their artwork (ZOSO has nothing to do with "666" and in the case of the Police album, the symbols are charicatures of the three band members rendered in LED. When shown backwards, it isn't "666", it's merely the characature shown backwards), these are extreme examples. It should also be noted that the later two bands have been disbanded since 1985 and 1981, respectively.

It's a straw man to go out and seek out the most extreme examples you can find to make your point. Again, why can't you find examples in the mainstream? The bands on this website belong to such a small niche of "death metal", that it's unlikely your average metal fan has even heard of them. If metal fans haven't even heard of them, then how do you expect us to have heard of them?

The fact that you have to go to such extremes as these artists and such an extreme and biased website doesn't say much for your argument.

11. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

These are examples and if they were not promoting it, they would not wear it or have anything to do with it.

12. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Again, they are extreme examples and several of them are not examples at all, but merely witch hunting and rumor mongering.

Again, if you have to go this far out of your way to find an example, then what does that say about your case?

13. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Slayer sings satanic songs and they use guitars and drums, therefore guitars and drums are evil. DUH!

14. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

You are citing av1611.org as a reference??
    &lt;laughing hysterically&gt;

They cannot ascertain which Version of God's Holy Word they are using, and it is NOT the 1611 AV.

As for the six hundred threescore and six page, just about every instance is nothing more than a relatively unknown band trying to offend to get more publicity. Notice the publicity they are getting at 1611.org - notice the bandwidth they are receiving. In fact, there is a disclaimer that it may take a second to load the page.
    Seems to me that the whole "devil worship" farce is working.......

15. Hmmmmm.........

I'd have to say my favorite Christian CD's would have to be: Skillet-Hey You, I Love Your Soul (reason: hard to explain.... It's like, it seems to have a lot of spiritual meaning.... ), Newsboys-Adoration, and Thousand Foot Krutch- Set It Off. [​IMG]

Secular.........: ummmmm...... I can't really say..... I don't like much secular...... but I like Weird Al and Linkin' Park...... :rolleyes:

16. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Anyway, back to the subject.

I just got the new Louvin Brothers tribute album, "Livin', Lovin', Losin': Songs of the Louvin Brothers", which features, among other things, one of Johnny Cash's last recordings. He does an awesome reading of "Keep Your Eyes on Jesus".

17. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

ROLLING STONE Has another predictably uninspired 'all time greatest' list-The 500 hundred best albums of all time. I own like 3/4 of this list. Dylan needs to be at #1 and Joni Mitchell should be way higher than #30.

18. Matticus

Matticus New Member

My favorite albums would be "Hey, You I Love Your Soul" by Skillet, "Wake up, O Sleeper" by Cool Hand Luke and "Wings to Fly" by Plankeye. Jars of Clay have some great stuff too, as do Blindside and P.O.D. I have way too many 'favorite' bands and albums...

matt

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I actually have most of the albums on that list.

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
    2. Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys
    3. Revolver, The Beatles
    4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan
    5. Rubber Soul, The Beatles
    7. Exile on Main Street, The Rolling Stones
    8. London Calling, The Clash
    9. Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan
    10. The Beatles ("The White Album"), The Beatles
    14. Abbey Road, The Beatles
    16. Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan
    18. Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
    19. Astral Weeks, Van Morrison
    25. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
    26. The Joshua Tree, U2
    28. Who's Next, The Who
    29. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin
    30. Blue, Joni Mitchell
    32. Let It Bleed, The Rolling Stones
    34. Music From Big Pink, The Band
    36. Tapestry, Carole King
    37. Hotel California, The Eagles
    38. The Anthology, 1947 - 1972, Muddy Waters
    39. Please Please Me, The Beatles
    43. The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
    45. The Band, The Band
    46. Legend, Bob Marley and the Wailers
    47. A Love Supreme, John Coltrane
    49. At Fillmore East, The Allman Brothers Band
    55. Elvis Presley, Elvis Presley
    56. Songs in the Key of Life, Stevie Wonder
    57. Beggars Banquet, The Rolling Stones
    59. Meet the Beatles, The Beatles
    62. Achtung Baby, U2
    63. Sticky Fingers, The Rolling Stones
    65. Moondance, Van Morrison
    66. Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin
    67. The Stranger, Billy Joel
    71. After the Gold Rush, Neil Young
    74. Otis Blue, Otis Redding
    75. Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin
    77. The Clash, The Clash
    78. Harvest, Neil Young
    81. Graceland, Paul Simon
    85. Born in the U.S.A., Bruce Springsteen
    86. Let It Be, The Beatles
    87. The Wall, Pink Floyd
    88. At Folsom Prison, Johnny Cash
    90. Talking Book, Stevie Wonder
    91. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton John
    92. 20 Golden Greats, Buddy Holly
    96. Tommy, The Who
    97. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Bob Dylan
    98. This Year's Model, Elvis Costello
    100. In the Wee Small Hours, Frank Sinatra

Got 'em.

I was kind of surprised that "The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle" wasn't on that list and I think "Greetings From Asbury Park" could have made it, too.

No Rick Nelson? No "Rick is 21"?

No Ray Charles' "Modern Sound in Country and Western Music"? I understand you can't have every album on that list but that's a pretty glaring omission.

No Byrds? No "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" or "Notorious Byrd Brothers" or "Turn, Turn, Turn"?

There are a lot of albums that should have been on this list but these are the obvious omissions.

20. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I would have to add "What's the Story Morning Glory" by Oasis. The quintessential Brit rock album of the 1990's. It was voted as the #7 or #8 album of all time by a British music magazine a few years back. Where's the American love here?