1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Favorite Confederate Battlegrounds

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 27, 2007.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Which is your favorite to visit?

2. poodle78

poodle78 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chicamauga

3. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Shouldn't the title be "favorite Civil War battlegrounds"? The Confederates couldn't have had a battle without the enemy present!

Oh, I know, if you prefer, "favorite War Between the States battlegrounds".

Anyway, the church I pastored was only a couple of blocks away from Ft. Stevens, in Washington, DC, where it is said that Lincoln went out to watch the fight, and that Capt. Oliver Wendell Holmes shouted at him, "Get down, you fool" lest he and his trademark stovepipe hat become a target.

There is a very small national cemetery nearby, where the fallen from that battle are interred.

4. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

I have been privileged to live in Corinth Mississippi, only 20 some odd miles from Shiloh and also privileged to live in Chambersburg, PA 20 some odd miles from Gettysburg.

Shiloh is interesting because of the lack of change. The area is has not been developed, built and rebuilt. It is still surrounded by scrubby pines and farms.

Gettysburg because of the drama.

Another that is interesting because of the smallness of the change is Sharpsburg/Antietam. The town hasn't grown that much and is still pretty much removed from the battlefield proper.

All three are moving places to go.

Braver and better men than myself fought and died there.

5. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I haven't been to many. I have visited Gettysburg, Kennesaw Mountain, GA, and Chattanooga, TN, and Ft. Sumpter. Gettysburg was very moving, and I enjoyed it the most. There are several sites around Atlanta that I have seen, but they are so different that you don't know you're on a battlefield site. One in particular is now a major Interstate crossroads. No one would ever know...

6. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Gwen,

We have one here in the county (Madison Co) where I live in Kentucky. But only part of it is still as it was.

Parts of it are now a golf course, subdivison, and army depot.

But the part that remains is protected and wont be developed. They have reinactments every August on the dates that the fighting took place. There is a church...still in use and exactly as it was then...that has marks on it from where it was hit by cannonballs. There is a house that was used as a hospital for injured soldiers that is now preserved and protected.

The battle of Richmond(Ky) took place in 3 stages. The last stage was right downtown in the center of the cemetary. You can still see bullet marks where the union soldiers where using gravestones for cover. Our county courthouse was used and an internment camp for captured soldiers.

The battle of Richmond Ky holds the distinction of being the single most overwhelming confederate victory over the Union forces of any specific battle of the war.

The general consensus is that a couple of strategic blunders immediatly after the battle by the general in charge erased any momentum that the confederates gained after winning the battle.

Mike

7. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Battle of Chattanooga, "Battle Above the Clouds" and all that. Ky troops on both sides there.

8. MrJim

MrJim New Member

I live in Chambersburg now, though I hesitate to call it a privilege:laugh:

Been to Gettysburg and Antietam (which sounds a lot like Shiloh in that it's been preserved)~Gettysburg is an interesting place to visit if you can get past the touristy stuff. The guided bus tour is recommended though:thumbs: :thumbs:

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The Battle of Vicksburg

"The poor Yankees have us surrounded!!!"

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shiloh.

Where the Confederates managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I also like Stones River.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I do remeber visiting that.
    I think Kennesaw Moutnain was enjoyable as well

12. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

Gettysburg, and Joshua Chamberlain from Maine

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Joshua Chamberlain-----was he "One of Our Boys!!!!"---- a spy or somethin' for the South????

Or was he a dad-gum Yankee?????

:laugh: :laugh:

14. tonyhipps

tonyhipps New Member

We live two miles from Red Top Mountain and ten minutes from Kennesaw Mountain.

Kennesaw's my favorite.