1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Favorite/most challenging book you have read?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jordan Kurecki, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For some reason I feel like they would promote lordship salvation..

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My children each read them in 8th grade thanks to the Sonlight homeschool curriculum. :) I read each of the books before my kids do so I also read them and LOVED them!

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish everyone on the BB would read The Way of the Master. I added this book to my wish list and I wish you would do the same with the Way of the Master. I am talking about the 300+ page book.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not have a Kindle (yet).

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

FYI you don't have to have 'a kindle' to get kindle books. It also works on PC's and tablets that are not ipads, i.e. on Android phones, tablets & phablets.

One great and challenging read to me was 'The Religious Affections' by Jonathan Edwards. I've also enjoyed 'The Way to True Happiness' by Robert Harris. I can't say there is only one which is above all else.

#45 preacher4truth, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You bet a donut they do!!! Its all over the pages. Brother Paul Washer and Mac do a great job. I know the books are tough reading (for the average Christian reader that is) but I challenge you to give them a shot. Okay if you can't handle the level of difficulty in those books then I suggest the following.

Hard to Believe by John MacArthur is a much easier read.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not have a PC nor do I have a Android, sorry I am an Apple boy. Yes I have the Kindle app on my Mac but its a pain in the tail to read on it. A Kindle may be better when I can afford one that is. But the sad news is that I won't be able to buy books used anymore but will pay full price.

8. preacher4truth

I see. With Kindle on my phone it enables reading of kindle books.

I am wondering why you feel you won't be able to buy used books but instead believe you are forced to pay full price. I'm missing the connection and your point.

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you are exactly right! :thumbsup:

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have about 40 books on personal evangelism in my library already. From what I've heard and read about this one, it would not add to my understanding. I'll only buy it if I write another book on the subject.

For my part, I suggest John R. Rice's books: The Soul Winner's Fire or The Golden Path to Successful Personal Soul Winning or I Saw These Come to Christ or The Evangelist or Great Truths for Soul Winners.

#50 John of Japan, Apr 11, 2014
  11. preacher4truth

Both of you are exactly incorrect and show a profound misunderstanding of the Gospel. John MacArthur and Paul Washer are typically mislabeled, misrepresented and misunderstood by many of your ilk. But hey, keep studying and trying? Perhaps someday? :thumbsup:

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just take my Gospel from 1 Cor. 15. Hard to misunderstand that one. Study it yourself. :thumbs: But hey, I don't think Jordan wants this to be another LS debate.

13. preacher4truth

Yes, hard to misunderstand that one yet you do exactly that and misrepresent, label and falsely accuse others as per my last post.

Now, don't go skirting the issue as if you're now innocent. You elaborated on it, blamed, accused, pointed the finger and extended the issue so face it, own up and don't point to Jordan about it as if it were all on him.

You and others show a profound misunderstanding of the Gospel and love to say others are LS (something you don't quite get in the first place) which really says this about you-- that you are of greasy grace and of say a prayer on your way to heaven easy-believism.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I am wrong in saying John MacArthur teaches LS, then so is everyone who has written about it: Martuneac, Pickering, Ryrie and many others. I'm in good company.
    This is totally untrue. I do not teach what you call "say a prayer on your way to heaven easy-believism." In fact, I have actively opposed this in my ministry: in my Japanese textbook on personal evangelism, my church, my teaching ministry and directly to the president of the Bible school I taught in at the time down in Tokyo.

This makes you a bearer of false witness, which is condemned over and over in the Bible, including especially the Decalogue, where your action in bearing false witness is classified along with idolatry, murder, adultery, etc.

Thus, I am immediately putting you on my ignore list.

#54 John of Japan, Apr 11, 2014
  15. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm actually reading that one now, Ray Comfort's method of evangelism is extremely biblical and has caused me to completely change my style of evangelism, I have personally seen using the law bear fruit.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you are not wrong in saying MacArthur teaches LS. While I do not know if you and John MacArthur work off a same definition (and do not want to derail the thread in that direction) MacArthur has repeatedly confirmed LS (personally, I can't say that I disagree with him).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFED04EBD441A91FD
    http://www.gty.org/Resources/Articles/A114

17. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I see that you are yet another target of hubris. I hope you can manage to keep to the ignore. I have done that before but feel compelled at times to remind one of their over exuberant hubris.

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm currently reading through RC Sproul's The Holiness of God

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just got back from two days in the big city working on visa renewal.

Thank you for the confirmation. As far as I know, my definition is the same as his. I have and have read The Gospel According to Jesus, but my first encounter with the doctrine was in 1971 in a discussion in a "Teachings of Jesus" class taught by Arend ten Pas, whose book is in MacArthur's bibliography. That's before the LS term was even used, to my knowledge. (I'm pretty sure that's also before preacher4truth was born or even thought of! :smilewinkgrin:)

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hubris--a nice way to put it! :thumbsup: