1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Favorite SG Singer/Group?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by kimb1113, Jun 27, 2006.

1. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

2. kimb1113

kimb1113 New Member

Yep, I love the Happy Goodmans and the others are pretty good too. I really like the McKameys and the Nelons, I'm not a big Crabb fan though. And Squire Parsons is awesome!:thumbs:

3. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

Ditto.:thumbs:

4. standingfirminChrist

Some of my favorite SG groups are the Cathedrals (no longer together, but wonderful group), the McKameys, the Kingsmen, Gold City, Greater Vision, The Enlighteners, The Wilsons (have known last two groups for more than 20 years).

Favorite songs include 'Step Into The Water', 'I Prayed For You', 'He Laid Down His Golden Crown', 'Ain't God Good', 'My Name Is Lazarus', 'The Greatest Gift Of All', 'Step Up The Stairs'; and many, many more.

Favorite Singers? Lessee now... Fae Bailey (formerly of the Kingdomaires of Clifton Virginia), David Rose (formerly of The Virginia Travellers), Peg McKamey, Donna Davis (of The Enlighteners of North Carolina), Bob Wilson (of the Wilsons)

BTW... I thought Michael Combs and The GVB were contemporary. I have seen their albums in the contemporary sections in Lifeway.

5. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

All these SG are contemporary...why they even use percussion.:rolleyes: Wonder if they use the devil's beat or God's beat:eek: . I never ceased to be amazed at those who easily attack all CCM, because it sounds like the world when alot of the SG can sound like it comes out of a honky tonk. Come on folkes, there are good and bad songs in each genre, its not the style but the message. I say this with great trepidation, knowing that certain peoples preference for "styles" of music will forever be seen by them as God's preference.:confused:

Bro Tony

6. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

Thank goodness! He sounds terrible! :tongue3: Just kidding, but he's not my favorite singer. I think he's got some fantastic songs, (some that he wrote himself), it's just that they would sound a whole lot better if somebody else were singing them.

7. Scott P.

Scott P. New Member

Favorite Gospel

For Southern Gospel, my all time favorites have to be either the Rowlands or the Gaithers. I also like the Cathedrals, Florida Boys, Kingsmen, Crimson River...

Probably not considered Southern Gospel but equally great is a group called The Fundamental Difference (or The McCurdy's). You can listen to a handful of their songs (including an awesome version of We Want America Back) here: http://www.baptist-city.com/music.htm

8. Scott P.

Scott P. New Member

Southern Gospel Songs

All or most written by Kyla Rowland... I'll Take the Old Highway, Windows of Heaven, Guilty of Loving Me, Wedding Day in Heaven... too many to even remember, let alone list!

9. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark Lowry has a nice, smooth voice too. I miss him being with the Gaither Vocal Band.

10. standingfirminChrist

Tony,

I never said a thing in that post about CCM other than the fact that both Michael Combs and the GVB were contemporary and not Southern Gospel. No need to get hateful in your remarks.

This thread BTW, is about Southern Gospel, is it not?

11. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GVB are indeed southern gospel. Fortunately, their music has many flavors -- that's what makes them who they are. There are some GVB songs that are Contemporary Southern Gospel. Kudos to them for such great achievement! :)

#31 PJ, Jul 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2006
  12. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Sorry if you took it as hateful, was not my intent. But my intent was to call for some consistency with remarks concerning music. Southern Gospel does carry a beat and some songs do sound like modern country or honky tonk. I have no problem with Southern Gospel I believe God uses it as he does CCM. But if one is going to condemn CCM they really need to be consistant and do the same for Southern Gospel. Again, did not mean it to be hateful, I hope you will accept my apology.

Bro Tony

13. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

While not strictly Southern Gospel, they are Southern, sing Gospel, and I got to see them in a Southern Baptist Church: Lost and Found (http://www.lostandfoundbluegrass.com/).

I guess they are billed as a Bluegrass act, but they really reminded me of the groups that would show up in our church when I was a little guy. Not a lot of acts showing up in our neck of the woods anymore though.

When I got to see them they did a great collection of gospel songs. It was the best performance I'd seen it a while. It was nice too as we were on the front pew where we could get a good look at the pickin'. We also got to mingle with the band afterwards discussing sound and instruments.

I just discovered the following on the website about the guitarist: 'Scottie can be heard on the IBMA award winning Gospel Performance of the Year, "The Stanley Gospel Tradition - Songs About Our Savior"'. I may have to pick that up. It looks like it was released quite a while back though.

I also recently picked up the Alan Jackson "Precious Memories" which I really, really, REALLY, love. Did I mention I really love that CD? :tongue3: What a perfect selection of hymns. Almost all my favorites are on there.