1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FBI reportedly probing Rep. Weldon

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JamieinNH, Oct 14, 2006.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Investigation allegedly into consulting contracts for Republican’s daughter

WASHINGTON - The FBI is investigating whether U.S. Rep. Curt Weldon used his influence to secure lobbying and consulting contracts for his daughter, two people familiar with the inquiry said Saturday.

The inquiry focuses on lobbying contracts worth $1 million that Weldon's daughter, Karen Weldon, obtained from foreign clients and whether they were assisted by the Republican congressman, they said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because of the confidentiality of the criminal investigation.

STORY LINK

Another Bad egg?

Jamie

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you just love anonymous sources?

Now, even if there is absolutely nothing to the allegations, he will be assumed guilty and slandered by those seeking political advantage.

3. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Do you expect the FBI to disclose their source while actively involved in an investigation.

WASHINGTON - The FBI is investigating whether U.S. Rep. Curt Weldon used his influence to secure lobbying and consulting contracts for his daughter, two people familiar with the inquiry said Saturday.

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Yeah, They come flying at both parties just the same..

I am sure people will flock to this like he is guilty. I would expect that no matter what party he is in. People on both sides tend to flock to "news" and try to get mileage out of it.

And I am with Straight and Narrow, couldn't the sources be anonymous because of the ongoing investigation?

Jamie
    I will be voting for a 3rd party! Anyone with me?

5. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

"Aye"...or is it "I"?

Anyhoo, see below...:thumbsup:

6. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Libertarian time.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your response is confusing.:confused:

The FBI did not even officially disclose the investigation, let alone their sources.

Tha anonymous sources of this story were probably in the FBI or the Dept. of Justice, not witnesses in the case.

In the event it was the witnesses themselves, the FBI would not be involved in the disclosure.

Either way, your response makes no sense.

The fact is that there may not be an investigation ongoing at all, but Jamie's thinking has already been tainted as this question/comment bears out:

"Another Bad egg?"

#7 carpro, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2006
  8. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

My thinking has not been tainted as you put it. It was a question asked, not a suggestion made.

With all the troubles politicians are in, I think it's an appropriate question to ask.

Maybe you have made your mind up in his innocence and that is why you're getting defensive about my question? I don't know.

Jamie

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?

Then why didn't your "question asked" sound more like this:

Is this another smear attempt using lies and innuendo?

It appears the negative seed was planted and took root in your mind even though you won't admit it.

I have no idea whether the rumor is accurate or not, but with nothing but anonymous sources, it remains just that , a rumor.

It may also be a total fabrication, perhaps released just for the purpose of affecting an election, with the media as a willing accomplice.

10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Gee Carpo, that's a much more neutral question. :rolleyes: We went from one extreme to the other....

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct.

Neutrality was not my intent.

Just as the question Jamie asked was a far cry from being neutral.

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

You can say that my question was negative if you want, but in my mind it was not. At least, not negative in the way that I have already judged whether of not he is guilty or not.

Being that policticans in general are corrupt, and that has been my stance for a long time, the question is a valid one.

I didn't point fingers at him. I just asked a question, is this another bad egg? Had I wanted to try to spin it against him, and had I already made my mind up I would have stated he was a bad egg.

There is a difference between a question and a statment ya know..

Also, Since th FBI raided four homes in connection with this, I don't think it's a total fabrication or just a ploy of politics in an election cycle.

Again, I don't know if the guy is guilty or not, but I do stand by my orginal question.

13. Daisy

Daisy New Member

He's acknowledged he's being investigated.

The timing is interesting. Does Weldon have enemies in the Justice Dept?

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I imagine there are plenty of partisan party members of both parties in the Justice Dept.

15. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Yeah, but which party is more likely to be gunning for him? One of the articles said that he frequently clashed with the current administration.

Of course, he could have been tangled in a more generalized net.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually he has been a thorn in the side of both parties.

Able Danger is the reason.