1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FBI 'secretly spying' on Google users, company reveals

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

If anyone thinks that anything is private anymore has their heads in the sand. In the name of "homeland security" and public health & safety, Big Brother is watching.

Every purchase made using a credit card and/or a rewards card has the potential to be tracked. (Anyone with more than 7 days of food in the pantry is suspect.) Buy too much sugar. In this area that's an indicator that a moonshine still is in operation. Buy too much sodium hydroxide. Indicator that a meth lab in operation.

Medical records are being fed into a national database.

Camera's everywhere. When I leave Wal-Mart with my purchases recorded, cameras record the vehicle I'm driving. Down at the corner, more cameras can record whether I turn right or left.

We've seen the news reports of trials where search engine results have been brought into evidence. John Doe looked up xyz this many times on the Internet.

Email is being monitored to scan for terrorist plots.

The power company knows when we go to bed and when we get up in the morning.

The list can go on.

People who think they can hid behind fake names and user ID's while on the Web are sadly mistaken. Oldtimer's ISP knows exactly when I log in for access. The search engine that I use (not Google - I quit using them for this very reason a long time ago) tries to target advertising based on my location. Sometimes it's a game to see how much I can misdirect them. However, knowing full well that it's only a game, as Big Brother can obtain the physical address of this connection any time he desires.

Paranoid - no. Just being realistic about the capability of modern electronics and the growing disregard for the expectation of privacy in our daily lives. I spent too many years working with databases and collecting data methods to think otherwise.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist