1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FDA planning to regulate salt.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Apr 21, 2010.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Let us know when you have something of value to contribute. We won't be holding our breath.

Back to the OP. Seriously, do we need the government to regulate the amount of salt we intake? If salt, why not trans fat, or sugar, or carbohydrates? Where does it end? Should the government issue ration cards so that you can only visit a fast food joint a particular number of times a week?

I've heard a lot of noise from the left on this thread, but have yet to see anyone attempt to explain why this is a good idea.

2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, we is just too ignant to read dem lables and decide if we want to buy it or not. Bid daddy G got to tell us everting we need to know so we don't havta tink or do nuttin for ourselves. :laugh:

3. billwald

billwald New Member

King County, WA, requires the national chains to list the nutritional data on their menu items. The Wife and I recently had hamburgers at a fast food place and didn't notice the chart until we had begun to eat. We had consumed a week's worth of sodium in one meal.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I call hogwash. Let's take a really big meal from McDonalds:

Double Quarter Pounder(R) with Cheese: 1380mg
    Large French Fries: 350mg
    Ketchup Packet x 5: 550mg
    Coca-Cola(R) Classic (Large): 20mg

TOTAL: 2300mg

The American Heart Association says:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3072180

So, yes, a meal as I just presented is exceeding the daily amount recommended by the American Heart Association. They have a pretty low recommendation as well, so I was trying to help your case out. Unless you are eating several very large cheeseburgers and several orders of fries you will not reach a weekly limit with one meal.