1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Feeding the Sheep or Amusing the Goats

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The type of guy you are talking about sounds like he should not even be there.
    I actually have heard those types before.

They usually have nothing to say so they rant and rave an run up and down the isles.

To answer your question though, there is no reason to use levity to break the ice.

I believe the proper thing to do is to keep all things in perspective of God's sovereign control.
    I believe encouraging believers in the Word is what is biblical.

Why would we want to make the sinner comfortable?
    Preaching should make the sinner uncomfortable.

The screaming and ranting is one extreme, the showbiz approach is the other.

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

This is all based on preference.

There is no reason to believe, or way to prove, that someone who actually practices communication skills by using different means to reach the hearers is wrong in any way. Some people are different types of communicators. The biggest thing is to be sincere, and authentic. Trying to fake a persona while speaking is the worst way to go, whether that is trying to be funny when you're not, or trying appear extra studious when nobody cares how much you know.

I find that the most authentic communicators are actually enjoyable to listen to.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although even the most inspired preachers occasionally loose someone, just ask Eutychus [Acts 20:9].

The idea that a sermon might be entertaining shouldn't dissuade a preacher from attempting to improve his delivery or style.

Just last week I encouraged a friend to add Powerpoint to his sermon profile.
    He is a technical preacher and can be rather dry if one doesn't keep track of the points by outlining the sermon.
    IMO PowerPoint would help the sheep to keep in line.

Rob

#23 Deacon, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Entertainment is a compromising and a watering down of the clear and convicting Word of God. You end up with grace without guilt, doxology without theology, and polling the lost community to see what they want to have in church services.

Entertainment is about a personal worship experience.It is a focus on man and self rather than God and God alone. It is idolatrous.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Playing devils advocate...is enjoyment of the service idolatry also? If entertainment = enjoyment, then it would seem that to truly worship you would have to dislike, even be in pain to worship.

#25 webdog, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Unless, of course, you're masochistic, in which case you enjoy being in pain and a painful service would be idolatry.

I guess we just have to cancel Church services altogether to solve this problem.

7. dan e.

dan e. New Member

This sounds like a vicious cycle that will never make anyone happy.....certainly won't help anyone have a good time.

8. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

Great article! Sadly it fits the church today to a tee. :tear:

9. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I'm talking about savings the lost. What are you talking about? What I say sounds hostile because it doesn't jive with your theology. It is Biblical, however.

10. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I still don't understand what your talking about. And I am not threatened by folks who disagree with my understanding of Scripture or challenge it.

11. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Proverbs 25:11 A word fitly spoken [is like] apples of gold in pictures of silver.

12. ReformedBaptist

Is this Scripture quote to be a refutation of the statement you responded to?

13. Cutter

Cutter New Member

No, not at all! I loved the quote and compared it to the verse in Proverbs.

Is everybody becoming a little hyper-sensitive, or is it just me?

14. ReformedBaptist

I wasn't trying to be sensitive, that's why I asked. Sometimes I am a bit slow at getting things. :tongue3:

15. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I think a better title for this would be :

Amusing the self styled sheep or saving the lost.

I'm talking about the title of this thread. Why does that sound hostle to you?

16. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I love this by Spurgeon. Of course I love reading all of Spurgeons stuff. Thank you for posting it. :thumbs:

17. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Mind explaining that a bit for us?

18. jellico25w

jellico25w New Member

A really true and sobering truth from Spurgeon. As with the bible his words ring true today, thank you, jellico.

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

If you have the time, and I do mean it when I say time...for this is the worlds longest post and will take some time to read it...you may want to check this out from a few years back.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=766339&postcount=37

RC did his homework on this one. It maybe worth a copy and paste so you can save for later reading.

20. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Most regular church attenders are far too complacent today. They believe, like most here, that the are chosen by God to be one of the elect or have been saved some time in the long distant past "by Grace only." I believe that Christ spoke about the necessity of being born again and that that would be reflected in our lives. A good tree MUST produce good fruit. That is not a statement in support of salvation by works. That's a statement by Jesus.