1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Feel the Spirit?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I reckon you've insulted me enough, so that's what I'm going to do, ignore you. :)

Besides, it's become circular and redundant with you as usually is the case.

#81 kyredneck, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  2. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

I just do not agree to ignore the emotions of our new heart that is leading us to the truth, but have compassion as Christ did for those who where coming to Him.

We have to eat the flesh of Christ and drink His blood to have life. You have to eat physically to live so as we do Spiritually and Christ is the manna that came down from heaven for us to live Spiritually but you have to eat to live.

May God bless you and to help us both to all truth.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sound like a Catholic now..... Perhaps a Franciscan. Do you hold to stigmata as well? Come on......you can tell us.....

4. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Do this in remembrance of me since we are born again by the enduring word of God and our faith comes from the word of Christ, God, and word concerning Christ.

The flesh is actually the word Jesus spoke and the blood is the life He lives.

It is all in the Gospel that we are messengers of.

Catholic is not what I am the only way to the Father is through Jesus, thieves try to find back door and other ways.

We are messengers of God not messengers of men

#84 psalms109:31, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

What I felt was the Spirit. I know the Spirit when He moves....

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

By your own testimony what you felt was joy. Feeling joy as a result of the Spirit inspired truths about a great God brought to your mind by the Spirit is absolutely biblical. Having an emotional sensitivity whereby you can discern a special presence of the Spirit is not.

Can you provide a single verse which identifies this spiritual sixth sense?

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You've posted no Scripture that supports this spiritual sixth sense of yours whereby you mystically discern the presence of the Spirit.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Feeling His prescence brought me great joy. I keep thinking of the last verse in 1 Thess. 4 which states, " Wherefore comfort one another with these words"(vs 18 to be exact...I looked it up)....

Look, I'm not basing my salvation on how much or how little I feel Him. I base it on the basis of His word and that He stated He would never leave us or forsake us. I take great joy, comfort, peace, and love in knowing this as a reality. Now, can you have great joy, peace, comfort, and love and not feel any of them?

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Feeling The Spirit

Before the Lord saved me I hade never went to church on a regular basis, although my mother was a Christian and dad was not, we couldn't get there all the time because mother could not drive. What little I did know about the bible when growing up my mother taught me. My mother told me she was saved at the age of fifteen and I would often ask her, how will I know if the Lord saves me ? She would reply, You will know it, God will reveal it to you. After I was grown I lived a rebellious life for several years, fighting anyone at the drop of a hat, cussing a swearing was part of my language. When my future wife and I began dating she wanted me to go to a week end revival with her. I only went to please her and to be with her. The preaching might as well have been in a unknown language considering what I got out of it. Let me say this, I did not want to be saved, I enjoyed my life as a rebel. The last night during the preaching, the Holy Spirit of God convicted me that I was a sinner on my way to hell and I had offended a Holy God. This conviction was as real of a feeling as any feeling I had ever experienced good or bad. God had unleashed his black dog called the law and it was scenting my trail like a bloodhound. A few night later I decided to go in my bed room and read the bible seeking some kind of relief, but there was no relief. I fell to my knees in prayer seeking Gods face not really knowing how to pray. I came to the end of myself without relief ready to give up. I stood up on my feet looked up into heaven and said, Lord I know you can save me, if you will. The Holy Spirit came into my soul that very moment and I thought I was being caught away into heaven. The first thing I wanted to do was tell my mother. My uncle and her was setting at the kitchen table talking when all of a sudden she came running down through the hall toward my room asking me if I had called her name, I hadn't opened my mouth. When I told her the Lord had saved me she shouted all over the house. I know a testimony like tis will not be accepted by the learned doctors of divinity but it is the truth.

#90 salzer mtn, May 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
  11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:jesus::godisgood::jesus::godisgood:

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Not one verse of Scripture.

Scripture, not moving testimonies, MUST be our guide.

We should ALWAYS be saying, "But what does GOD say about it?"

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

When you say you have great joy, comfort, peace and love in KNOWING some great Bible truth about God, you are supporting MY hypothesis.

Joy, peace, comfort, etc... SHOULD result from pondering some great truth about God- particularly those truths revealed in Scripture.

But when somebody says they know God is in a place- not because the Bible says it- but because they feel it- that is VERY problematic.

I feel joy in knowing that he is with me. But I can't say, "God is not at that church because I don't feel his Spirit but he is at that church because I do feel His Spirit."

That is totally unbiblical.

Feeling joy as a result of pondering truth is PERFECTLY biblical.

Having some extra sensory perception whereby you can discern whether or not God is in a place is absolutely UNBIBLICAL.

How many people have left good Bible preaching, Christ-exalting churches that didn't cater to the emotions because they have said, "You can't FEEL the Spirit in that place"?

And how many have left good bible believing churches to go to United Pentecostal Churches (cults that deny the Trinity and preach works salvation) because they "felt the spirit" in those churches?

This sixth sense "feeling" the Spirit business is dangerous. It is an assault against Sola Scriptura. It is charismatic sewage that has sloshed over into baptist life.

I cannot tell you how many people I have counseled that have doubted their salvation NOT BECAUSE OF SOME LACK OF DEDICATION TO GOD ON THEIR PART but because they haven't "felt the Spirit" in a while.

It's awful. We ought to purge this charismatic thinking from our ranks post haste.

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup: I agree.

:thumbsup: Again, I agree.

:thumbsup: Again, I agree. I wasn't implying that to be the case with me. God is there whether I feel Him or not. He's omniscient, so I know He's there.

:thumbsup: Again, I agree. I never purported that.

Then how are we to try the spirits to see if they be of God? I agree with the feeling great joy from pondering these biblical truths.

I dunno.

I dunno.

Again, how you try the spirits if you can't feel them in a certain way?

I agree with you here, too. Look, I am NOT basing everything I do via feelings. If I did, I'd be in trouble. I am in the flesh way more than the Spirit, but regardless, I'm His.

15. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Luke if you look closely you can see scripture in my whole testimony. Before I was saved I was a rebellious person that loved darkness, St. John 3:19. I could not understand the preaching of the gospel nor the reading of the bible, 1 Cor 2:14. The Holy Spirit convicted me of my sins, 11 Cor 7:10. Second Corinth seven and ten is not someone just telling you that you are a sinner, real conviction is a Godly sorrow, a condemning feeling in your soul that you have offended God. I fell to my knees seeking God face not knowing how to pray, Psa 51:17, Rom 4:11. I stood upon my feet and looked into heaven and said Lord, I know you can save me, if you will. I realized that God was sovereign and he could either damn me or save me, my soul was in Gods hands, yet by faith I knew he could save me, Rom 10:10. The Holy Spirit came into my soul that very moment and I thought I was being caught away into heaven, Gal 4:6. Luke the problem with people like you is that you think no one can be save except they have a complete understanding of scripture. Even though the Publican was probably a unlearned man yet when he came to the Lord he fulfilled all the salvation scriptures, Luke 18:13. The Holy Spirit will lead us and guide us unto all truth, St. John 16:13.

#95 salzer mtn, May 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
  16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The Bible.

Remember the context of the passage to which you are referring

23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. 24And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.
    1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 4Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

He that knows God hears the word of God. He receives the authority of the Word of God. He affirms that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh. The spirit of antichrist denies the implications of the incarnation of the Son of God.

Notice what is conspicuous in its absence here in this passage telling us how to try the spirits- feelings. Not one word about feeling someone's spirit and thereby discerning whether or not their spirit is from God. Not one word. We don't get to add it.

The way to try the spirit is by the Word of God- absolutely NOT by feelings.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Nothing about feelings there. However, I am FOR feelings. Don't stereotype me or strawman me just so I'll be easier to debate. I am for feelings. What I am absolutely AGAINST is being AT ALL guided by them.

I believe feeling guilt over your sins after you have been convinced of their gravity by the Word of God is utterly appropriate.

But if you think "convicted" means primarily a feeling, you are wrong.

This spirit of adoption that we have in our hearts is based on something that we believe, namely, that God is our Father.

Should we feel wonderful about that once we truly are persuaded that it is so? ABSOLUTELY. Is it some feeling that comes before we are persuaded it is so? Absolutely not. Feelings that are not the result of faith in truths understood are madness and foolishness.

I believe I am a son of God so I feel the sweetness of it. I don't believe I am a Son of God BECAUSE I feel the sweetness of it. The difference here is HUGE and the importance of that distinction cannot be overstated.

That's an ad hominem and a straw man.

I think no such thing. I actually would be afraid to tell you how far off you are on this one.

You have introduced education into this one- not me. Salvation is the result of truly believing that Jesus Christ is Lord- period. Nothing more. And God gives you the faith to believe that.

But we don't stop there. We continue to grow in knowledge and grace. One of the most important ways to do that is to reject anything that detracts at all from our being guided by the Scriptures. And when you make decisions based on intuitions and extra-biblical sensory perceptions, you lessen the importance of the proper study of the Word of God for guidance.

He guides us into all truth (i. e. the "fullness" of truth) by the Scriptures which he has inspired. The entire New Testament had not been written when the disciples received this promise from the lips of Christ. There was a TON of truth that had not yet been revealed to them. They did not have Romans. They did not have Galatians. They did not have Acts. They did not have Revelation. The Holy Spirit would come and inspire them to give us the Holy Scriptures. The truth Peter knew when Jesus spoke into his hearing the words of John 16:13 can hardly be compared to the truth Peter knew when he wrote his last epistle.
    Jesus kept this promise and all the Christians of all the ages can be grateful that he did. Because this promise concerned the giving of the entire New Testament by the Holy Spirit by which we receive the fullness of truth.

#97 Luke2427, May 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Joy is the result of knowing the goodness of God. That is what strengthens us.

Joy is not something that exists independently. It is tied to the knowledge of the truth.

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I agree we are not to be guided by our feelings, but by His word. We are in agreement more than I think you think, Brother Rick. :thumbsup:

20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One more time Luke, why is it that the natural man cannot enter into this joy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.